• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

$200 = 5' paint job

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
Here is ToddPole's freshly painted ride... just so he can go scratch it up at Katemcy next weekend :) $75 of the paint job was the flex agent since we were painting the fiberglass hood and fiberglass door inserts we wanted the paint to flex on those spots, but still match the rest... so all of it has the flex agent.. It is a oilfield paint in Safety Red :) It turned out pretty good for a quick paint job.. We were shooting for a 20' paint job, but we think it turned out to be a good 5' paint job :)

Attachments

• SmallIMG00056.jpg
    SmallIMG00056.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 204
  • SmallIMG00057.jpg
    SmallIMG00057.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 164
  • SmallIMG00060.jpg
    SmallIMG00060.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 74
  • SmallIMG00058.jpg
    SmallIMG00058.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 155

Toddpole

Contributor
I owe an unbelievable amount of thanks to RajinCajun and his lovely wife (for all the meals and letting me use RajinCajun's family time for my personal gain!
He and another friend of ours did all the painting; I just pointed. This project would not have been possible without them!
Thanks again.

OP
OP
RajinCajun

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
Nice job! Do they make a dark blue?

It is basically the same paint as Implement paint for tractors etc.. Which is what I used on my Bronco.. Ford tractor blue.. Mine was put on thin because I didn't have much paint.. only about 1qt which wasn't enough..

No problem Todd, I wouldn't offer if I didn't want to do it.. and I know I don't have to worry about you selling it :)

FerrumCampitor

Loc.
Hutchinson, MN
How did you apply it? Matt Breese used implement paint also with great results. I'm definately going to have my own cheap paint job before the '09 roundup...and propane, and power steering, and 37's, and... ;D

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Cheap paint jobs are great, no worries.
I think I did mine for under $150 including buying the harbor freight paint gun.
5 years later and it is all scratched and fadded, but I wasn't worried when having to drive through thick brush. those that spent a year doing the base/clear now hate to go anywhere as they will have to spend so much time buffing the money they put into the paint. I would rather be driving it.

OP
OP
RajinCajun

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
Used an HVLP gun. The guy that sold Todd the flex agent said it "should" work, but he wouldn't guarantee it.. The small bottle was $75, but we wanted try it to give a little peace of mind.. we plan to put it in the paint for the flares if we decide to paint them body color.. For now the bumpers, rock guards, and flares will be black..

Thanks for the compliments.. it was quite a bit of work :) but well worth it..

Toddpole

Contributor
Nice job! Do they make a dark blue?

I believe they do. Check out Tnemec.com. I chose their Hi-Build Industrial paint in safety red. I could not find this color on their website color chart. It is unbelievably red! Fire Truck doesn't begin to describe it.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
how long did it take to tack?

How long did it take for it to dry enought to wetsand and buff? If you had a rune or other inperfection you really wanted to fix?

OP
OP
RajinCajun

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
how long did it take to tack?

How long did it take for it to dry enought to wetsand and buff? If you had a rune or other inperfection you really wanted to fix?

I want to say they said 10 hours to be sandable.. mainly because of the flex agent. We let it set overnight and went back about 5pm the next day and it was set pretty good..

On UV, not real sure.... the paint on my Bronco wasn't really on thick enough and my hood has only been painted a year.. Anxious to see myself.. Then again for $200 you can afford to paint it every 3 years or so... :)