• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

engine Vin

2b1ask1

Loc.
oklahoma
I was wondering how to determine if the engine in my bronco is original.. its a 73' with a 302...

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Hey 2b1, there is a casting # on the block just above or around the starter.
Ya' need to get that number and then start the search, I found that somewhere last week while I was trying to determine what I have in the 66'.
I think I googled "302 Ford Engines". ???:cool:

RH

there's a casting # on the bottom right rear of the block next to the pan, the first two letters will be D3.

Quick & Dirty

Ford didn't stamp a vin on the engines, so there is no way to tell if it is the original, or a replacement. There is no "numbers matching" like a GM.

The casting number will tell if it the right vintage, but may not give the exact year, just the design year of the last revision. A 73 block could have C8TE, D1TZ, or D1OE. There should be a casting date code above the design code, first number for year, letter for month, more numbers for day. If there is a decal on the valve cover that will also have the month and day of assembly.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Like Quick and Dirty said ; once you remove a motor from a Ford it's difficult to tell what vehicle it came from .
You can Id the motor ;although sometimes not the exact version . And in some instances not the exact year it was built . Most of the time you can get within a couple of years.
SHX

Jonboy69

My 69 has the following info on the motor. Does this indicate anything or tell if it is correct for a 60 bronco ?

ENGINE TAG: (aluminum id TAG BEHIND COIL).
302 C 69 5
9-C K296-S

BLOCK CASTING ON DRIVER SIDE BEHIND TIMING COVER
9C12W

Quick & Dirty

ENGINE TAG: (aluminum id TAG BEHIND COIL).
302 C 69 5
9-C K296-S

Engine displacement, plant code, Model year, Change level(revision)
Model year-month(March) Engine code number

So it's a 69 302 assembled in March.

BLOCK CASTING ON DRIVER SIDE BEHIND TIMING COVER
9C12W

1969, March 12 The stamped number there is the assembly date. Not sure of the last letter, could be assembly plant (Windsor?) The casting date is above the casting number behind the starter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2b1ask1

2b1ask1

Loc.
oklahoma
are you guys talking about the tag that is on the carb right behind the coil???

Jonboy69

The tag that is on the carb is I believe to id the carb. Autolite 2100, motorcraft 2150, etc. Not the motor. I have anold fairly stock 69 & I came across a tag behind the oroiginal coil. The other numbers thhat I referenced are on the driver side head in the front of the motor. Thanks quick & dirty. Sounds like I probably have the original motor. I contacted Ford fore a build sheet & they had no record with the vin I provided them. I am going to double check.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
VINs weren't standardized until 1981, and Ford doesn't have much documentation on them before ~'90. I got them to send a build sheet for my '83 VIN, but it was nothing more than a VIN decoding. No vehicle-specific info - they didn't even get the trim level right.

OP
OP
2b1ask1

2b1ask1

Loc.
oklahoma
i looked at he plate that was on the carb, behind the coil and there was nothing on it...It was just kinda rust looking...