• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

#@!%*&^ optima! **Update**

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
When i wrote this i was assuming you had a red top....Do you have red, yellow, or blue?

Your problem is operator error. You runed the battery when you let it go dead!!!! And you can not bring it back from the dead!!!!
The problem with any battery is when you let it go dead a few times it is dead for ever!!!!

People think that a optima is going to be the fix all to there problem. If you have a red top optima there almost the same as a regular lead acid type. they can only be cycled threw a discharge-charge a few times.

You need to get a blue top optima if you want to avoid these problems. Yes a blue top is a deep cycle-starting battery and you can discharge and recharge a few thousand times. I bought a blue top 10 years ago and had it in my blazer, then put it in my suburban when i got that, after i sold the suburban i used the same blue top in the winter for ice fishing and in the summer for my trooling moter. I also gave it to a buddy for a summer for his boats starting battery. Then i gave it to my bro and now he uses it in his boat. This blue top has been indistructable!!!

Of course my dad had a yellow top and that went to crap in a year so maybe i just got luckey with mine. Either way i wouldnt spend that kind of money again. I just buy the walmart batterys now. They exchange them back no questions asked. I buy there expensive ones that have a three year warr i think ( but keep reciept) i had two in my deisel and every other winter i would just go in and get two new ones for free.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
I went thru 6 red tops in my stang, hold a charge the first year, then start loosing every few weeks. I have checked many times and I have a very low current draw, radio memory. Finally went yellow, same thing! Got it replaced and now I unhook the battery from the car every time but it has only been 6 months.
Have a red top in a Bronco that I got used, it gets weak every 3 months from not driving, but cranks and charges fine. I think it is 6 yrs old.

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
When i wrote this i was assuming you had a red top....Do you have red, yellow, or blue?

Your problem is operator error. You runed the battery when you let it go dead!!!! And you can not bring it back from the dead!!!!
The problem with any battery is when you let it go dead a few times it is dead for ever!!!!

People think that a optima is going to be the fix all to there problem. If you have a red top optima there almost the same as a regular lead acid type. they can only be cycled threw a discharge-charge a few times.

You need to get a blue top optima if you want to avoid these problems. Yes a blue top is a deep cycle-starting battery and you can discharge and recharge a few thousand times. I bought a blue top 10 years ago and had it in my blazer, then put it in my suburban when i got that, after i sold the suburban i used the same blue top in the winter for ice fishing and in the summer for my trooling moter. I also gave it to a buddy for a summer for his boats starting battery. Then i gave it to my bro and now he uses it in his boat. This blue top has been indistructable!!!

Of course my dad had a yellow top and that went to crap in a year so maybe i just got luckey with mine. Either way i wouldnt spend that kind of money again. I just buy the walmart batterys now. They exchange them back no questions asked. I buy there expensive ones that have a three year warr i think ( but keep reciept) i had two in my deisel and every other winter i would just go in and get two new ones for free.

Operator error huh? Well I never let it die but once and it's been s#!t ever since. It seems pretty stupid to have battery that cannot cycle but a few times before its untimely and expensive demise. Never the less I have two new blue tops at my disposal now.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I hope you got the D34M with the light grey base and not the 43M with the dark grey base?

The D34M
Power:
CCA (BCI 0°F): 750 amps
MCA (BCI 32°F): 870 amps
Recommended Charging:
The following charging methods are recommended to ensure a long battery life: (Always use a
voltage regulated charger with voltage limits set as described below.)
Model: D34M
These batteries are designed for starting and deep cycle applications and for use in vehicles
with large accessory loads.

The 34M
Power:
CCA (BCI 0°F): 800 amps
MCA (BCI 32°F): 1000 amps
Recommended Charging:
The following charging methods are recommended to ensure a long battery life: (Always use a
voltage regulated charger with voltage limits set as described below.)
Model: 34M
These batteries are designed for engine starting applications. They are not recommended
or warranted for use in deep cycle applications.

Last edited:

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
It seems pretty stupid to have battery that cannot cycle but a few times before its untimely and expensive demise.

Sad, but true. No car battery is made to be fully discharged! Not even once! If you want to be able to discharge your battery and not ruin it you need a deep cycle/starting battery!

Another big factor is the charger you use. I use a automatic chager that has 3 stages and it goes to float mode when the battery is charged. If your using a manual charger then you have no idea when the battery is done and you just cook the piss out of it! (its like leaving the water on when the tub is full....big mess)!

Last edited:
OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Ok well the battery I have problems with is a red top. The two blue tops I got are light grey bases and are typically used to power our M777A2 howitzers.

OptimaJim

br0nc0xrapt0r, I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've been having with your RedTop and I'd like to help. I'm also sorry it took me so long to find this thread. bknbronco raises a good point about maintaining proper battery voltage. When any battery is discharged below 12.4 volts and allowed to sit, sulfation will begin to diminish both capacity and lifespan. Some of this can be restored by charging our batteries at 10 amps for up to two hours, but if the battery starts venting or gets hot to the touch, charging should be discontinued immediately.

I think you are on the right track with charging and disconnecting your battery. If you can fully-charge your RedTop (approximately 12.6-12.8 volts) and leave it disconnected from your vehicle for 12-24 hours, it should hold close to the maximum voltage. If it can hold voltage when disconnected, but loses voltage when connected, there is a parasitic draw that is discharging your battery. Please keep me updated on your findings. By the way, if I were allowed to talk about our specific military applications, I'd mention how cool I think that one is :cool:

iwlbcnu, good to hear from you again. What did the current draw on your Mustang end up measuring?

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries

tx1ton

Loc.
Boerne, TX
Another way to check for a parasitic drain is to put an ammeter in series with the battery's positive (disconnect it and run your ammeter from the battery to the cable). If you draw any amperage with everything shut down on your vehicle you have a leak that will eventually drain and kill your battery. If it's big enough (high enough amps) it'll take a battery down faster.

I have this on my '66 mustang actually - a 2 amp draw! One of these days I'll trace it down, but for now, I disco the battery cable whenever I shut her down...%)

OptimaJim

A 10 milliamp draw is actually very reasonable. Hopefully, you won't have any post-storage battery issues with such a low draw. For those who are interested, a 10-milliamp draw means a vehicle is discharging a battery at a rate of .24 amps (.01 x 24 hours) per day. If the battery has a Capacity rating of 50 amps, that means it will take about seven months (50/.24) for the battery to be totally discharged (0% state of charge), if it sits without any charge going to the battery. These calculations assume the battery is fully-charged when it is parked (most are not) and does not take into consideration climate, which can shorten (heat) or lengthen (moderate temps) these timeframes. On the other hand, a 2-amp draw like tx1ton described can totally discharge that same battery in about one day (2 x 24 hours).

It should be noted that different vehicles will require a different minimum voltage to start, which probably is something above 0% state of charge. It's also worth mentioning that even if a vehicle does not sit long enough to completely discharge the battery, this repeated partial discharge, and the sulfation that will be caused by the battery resting in a discharged state, will cause long-term reductions in performance and life. This is why we emphasize the importance of maintaining at least 12.4 volts and recommend a maintenance charger for any vehicle that is not used regularly.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
ALL vehicles will have some drain in the system. Older vehicles it is typically the regulator in the alternator, newer vehicles it is the computer systems. Typically if everytihng is good, the drain should take 3 months to get the battery in a no start condition. Now if your truck is hard starting, that period of time gets reduced quickly.

tx1ton

Loc.
Boerne, TX
On the other hand, a 2-amp draw like tx1ton described can totally discharge that same battery in about one day (2 x 24 hours).

[/url]

Jim's dead on, my Fastback's battery will run out in about a day with the 2 amp draw if I leave it connected. Need to fix that one of these days if I can ever stop working on my Broncos! :p

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Go get a 80 dollar battery from walmart with a 3 year warrenty, and quit swearing at that dam expensive optima already!;)

warrenty? Whats that?

How the hell is this acceptable for a product? Ive killed multiple batteries before and have had them come back from the dead and they cost half as much. Lesson learned no more red tops perhaps the Blue top will be more suited to my apparent abusive nature

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Lesson learned no more red tops perhaps the Blue top will be more suited to my apparent abusive nature

If you're leery of Red Tops, then make sure that the Blue Top you get is the deep-cycle version. The Blue comes in both flavors. As either a starting battery or a deep-cycle battery.
As far as I know, the Blue Top "starting" battery is internally identical to a Red Top. The Blue Top "deep-cycle" version is identical internally to the Yellow Top.
Only difference (other than the color of course) being the terminals.

Jim can confirm-or-deny that, but that seems right.

Paul