• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

77 Bronco - Build In The Works

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The Mustang Coyote Motors are easier to find. Mine is a 2016 with less than 20K miles.

I have not investigated the Manual Trans options for the Modular Coyote. I'm not sure if there is an adaptor for the Modular Manual Transmission to D20.

Jamie Chriss

I am getting more motivated, got my new frame prepped and ready for powder coat. I have a few more weeks of finish work on my tub to get the bottom ready for paint. Anyway I have a few questions if you don't mind?

Sourcing the motor: how did you go about finding the low millage motor?
I am curious would this motor M-6007-M50A at $6600 make sense for the price, new?

I noticed you are going with the 4R70W transmission, was the choice cost or better fit? It seems like from my stand point a solid choice, less modifications.

I haven't seen too many builds with manual transmissions, I would think that would be the easy button choice?

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That seems like a pretty good price for that Crate motor. You can find used at local pick and pulls, or on eBay for rexample.

4R70W is a strong AOD, not hard to find, easier install and less expensive. For what I and most people use their Broncos for, I do not feel the need for a 6R80 with the extra gear in overdrive.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I did receive the Modified Mustang Headers from BC last week. The Ceramic Coating looks great.

I will install them when the Rolling Chassis is being restored before the body goes back on.

Jamie Chriss

Q when you sourced your transmission dig you look for something exact, like a certain bell housing? There are plenty of 4R70W out there rebuilt for $1500.00 but will they withstand the power coming out of a Coyote motor? Did you consider a manual transmission?

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have not purchased the transmission yet. I will get the 4R70W Kit from BC. All the parts needed are included for the install.

$1500 is just for the transmission. Electronic controller, Crossmember and mount, Torque Convertor, Adaptor for D20, Black Plate, hardware....... It all adds up. The BC 4R70W kit is rebuild and new parts ready to install.

I did not look into Manual Transmissions at all. The addition of Adaptors may be the real reason there are not too many. I am sure others have done it.

Jamie Chriss

I see what you are saying about the transmission kit.

Q: have you actually driven a Bronco with a Coyote, I haven't. It just seems liek a very logical direction for me since I am replacing everything anyways. I am not sure if you covereded this but what rear end gearing are you going with, any upgrades I should look at?

I am about a month from paint, I hope. I just got my new frame so I hope to work on the chassis when the tub leaves my garage. I would like to start stashing away the hard to get parts now.

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_7645.jpg
    DSC_7645.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 158
OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Gearing, as with all builds, depends on Tire Size, Transmission and Engine Characteristics.

All else the same, a High Torque at lower RPM 351W may not need as much gear as a higher RPM Coyote motor.

Let's say you have the Coyote motor, AOD Transmission and 35" Tires. Minimum gearing I would suggest is 4.88. It may need more.

Same set-up with the 351W - A 4.56 gear is about right.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I made a phone call to Wild Horses this afternoon and ordered the Buckaroo Hood and related hardware. It's the only body part that I will need to purchase for the Bronco, thankfully.

I am also going with the Quiklatch 38 (Medium Size) that has a Key Lock in the center of the Push-button to lock the hood. I have installed the 50s before but they seemed too big to me. The 38s still have plenty of holding power too.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The Hood had been back ordered and is scheduled to arrive late next week.

In the mean time, I got the Roll Cage mocked up. I'll get some pics posted next week.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
WH Buckaroo Hood. It should be here Thursday.....

I am finally back at this truck to get some work done.

I got the DOM Roll Cage Finished and included an integrated Speaker Sound Bar as well.

The 77 body is off the frame and happily found that there is NO Rust on the frame at all. That's a big plus.

The Mustang Coyote has been on the frame perches for awhile now. It's so much easier to work on it now with the body off!!! I completed the BC Serpentine system and everything clears as it should. Starter, Headers, all good so far.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
BC Parts Mock-up

Here are the latest pictures from the Mustang Coyote and Serpentine Parts Mock-up.

Everything clears so far. There is no transmission installed yet, but the motor is tilted back slightly to simulate the trans being installed. There is plenty of room from the Crank Pulley to the Front Frame Crossover. So, if the motor has to be tilted forward when transmission is installed there should be room.

The A/C unit will have to be put in place prior to installing the A/C / Alternator Bracket. Or, install on motor prior to putting motor in. Same with the Passenger Side Header.

I held the starter in place and no issues there. The Oil Filter has plenty of clearance too.

Attachments

• 77 Bronco - PS Pump Clearance.jpg
    77 Bronco - PS Pump Clearance.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 218
  • 77 Bronco - PS Pump Clearance 2.jpg
    77 Bronco - PS Pump Clearance 2.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 218
  • 77 Bronco - Coyote Serpentine.jpg
    77 Bronco - Coyote Serpentine.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 252
  • 77 Bronco - Coyote Header.jpg
    77 Bronco - Coyote Header.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 242
  • 77 Bronco - Coyote Header To Frame.jpg
    77 Bronco - Coyote Header To Frame.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 233
OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I got the body tub back from the body shop. He's working on the 76 so I have some work to do.

I'll take the front fenders, grill, doors and Tailgate off. I'll also remove any remaining items and send to the sand blaster. This one is pretty damn solid, so there really is just removing the paint and minor surface rust.

After that is Red Epoxy Primer then to Line-X for the Interior Tub and under the Inner Fender wells.

Attachments

• 77 Bronco - Tub Driver's Side.jpg
    77 Bronco - Tub Driver's Side.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 215
  • 77 Bronco - Tub Front.jpg
    77 Bronco - Tub Front.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 190
  • 77 Bronco - Tub Passenger Side.jpg
    77 Bronco - Tub Passenger Side.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 205
  • 77 Bronco - Tub Rear.jpg
    77 Bronco - Tub Rear.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 175
OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I will also go with Front Hoops for the Front Shock Mounts. I'll have to cut and grind the original shock towers then install Hoops.