• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ignition Switch/Cylinder Help!!!(fixed, but now I have another problem...

VTBRNCO

Loc.
Vermont
Just pulled my key out of the ignition and out came the whole lock Cylinder assembly - had to get a screwdriver to get the rig out of ACC. Now I can't get the assembly/cylinder back in (been out there for over an hour!) Going to search the threads now (both chilton books I have are offering no help!) I have done this before on my old 73 and it was a snap - any trick that can help me out??? TIA
VTBRNCO

Read my reply below for update...

Last edited:
B

bert

If it came apart as you described its probably time for a new one. There is a tech article on the left that tells how to remove and install the lock cylinder.

OP
OP
VTBRNCO

VTBRNCO

Loc.
Vermont
Got it back in - got a better flashlight and some patience. I think you may be right bert it came out way to easy.

Now I have another problem!! When I used the screwdriver to get it out of ACC (and to start it so I could drive it home from where I was when this happened) my radio went out??? Any idea's why this would happen?? did I short something??? Any thoughts??

Broncobowsher

Total hack
you need to take that screwdrive, turn the switch left past accessory. take the key and turn it about 90 degrees to the left (top on the left). Make sure the switch is aligned with the tab on the end of the lock. Insert cylinder, turn to the off position.

Consider replacing both the lock and the switch since they probably are both worn out.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
If it was just the radio that stopped working then the switch isn't to blame. If everything controled by the ACC position of the switch stopped working the it very well could be the switch.