• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need Advice: Dad Giving Me His '71 Bronco

zeppelin_71

First post here.

My dad bought a '71 Bronco back in the early 90's as a deer lease vehicle. He parked it in the garage in 1999 after he started using his Z71 instead. It's been sitting there ever since. They got nailed by extreme floods last year, so they're having to tear down their house and rebuild, and he needs to do something with the Bronco. I told him not to sell it and that I would buy it. He told me I can just have it. So, pretty cool Dad.

We're about two hours apart. He's near Houston, and I'm outside of Austin. I love cars, but I'm not a "car guy" or a shade-tree mechanic. While I would love to learn more about cars, I probably just need to pay someone to get this guy running and to change a few things on it. Curious for some advice in that regard.

So, here are the stats: It's an uncut 1971, three on the tree. Olive green with a white top. Luggage rack on top (might be aftermarket?). Black bench seat in front. No rear seat. Spare is mounted in back against a bulkhead that the bench sits against. There is some tiny aftermarket steering wheel (I'd prefer something bigger/stock). He put some aftermarket radio and ran a few dinky speakers to just behind and above the doors (still has original radio). No A/C, no power steering, drum brakes. He had dual exhaust put on; they are pretty small diameter pipes and it also has glass packs, so it is obnoxiously loud. It has some pretty aggressive mud-type tread tires on it with the original hubcaps.

Here's what I'd like to do:
a) Get it running
b) Disc brakes, power steering, A/C
c) New tires
d) Remove glass packs; maybe run exhaust to side behind tires instead of straight back; would love just a throaty V8 lope
e) Remove bench, put in buckets; put in rear bench for my two boys
f) Mount tire on back
g) Maybe just reinstall original radio

I'm curious if any of these are not good ideas or not feasible?

I'm thinking I should probably somehow trailer/tow it up here to Austin and find somewhere local that can work on it for me so I am able to check in on it. Anyone in the Hill Country have any recommendations? I know there's a place over in Kerrville that does EB work. I also really have no idea what I'm looking at as far as cost -- maybe $5-10k? Is that naive?

The end goal here is to have a third car that is a toy for just cruising around Austin in. I have a very short commute to work, so it would be a fun car to drive to work on pretty days, tool around town with on the weekends, etc. We'd probably get some sort of bikini top; my wife has always wanted a Jeep or something of that ilk with no top.

Thanks in advance for any comments, advice, tips, recommendations.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There are some Texas guys that will chime in on a shop to use. If I was you I would haul it to BC Broncos in south Texas and let them clean the carb and do a tune up and let them add power steering, power disk brakes and bring it home and start driving it and decide your next upgrades. They may even swap you 2 bucket seats for your bench as the bench is more rare and desirable. The list could go on forever, they could do a cage, AC tires, paint and so on. But power steering, power disk brakes, and a tune up should only run you $2-3000 and even though that sounds like a lot, it will be road worthy and was a free Bronco.

POPPAWS BRONCO

Loc.
Horn Lake, Ms.
Welcome and good luck with your dads Bronco. I have a similar story but with my grandfather. Take the advice I didn't and just get it running and stopping first. The rest just do slow and there are plenty of videos on you tube on doing everything your self. So once it's running and you can enjoy it some you can do other things. Be careful of Bronco Creep. Every time I try to do one thing it turns into five. But that's my advice. It's yours so do it as you feel is right.

Hey!!! Let me hold a dollar I'm in the middle of a restore here!

69broncofun

Bronco Guru
Hello,
I am in the dallas area. Congrats on the Bronco. Heard these guys are good BC Broncos in south Texas They have a ad on here at top of website check it out. Give me a shout if you need anything. Novice here to Broncos and learn as I go. There is a club here in TX for early broncos its $30.00 join or you can just subscribe to the google groups list and ask questions http://lebc.clubexpress.com/

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The place in Kerrville is BC Broncos. Jason is a great guy and will do as little or as much as you want. Your list sounds good that will get it running, easier to drive, and safe. Would love to see pics, wondering if your olive green is "Boxwood Green" which is my favorite color!

BigEasy73

Loc.
Atlanta, GA
Don't cut it and save or sell that bench if you don't want it. They are fairly rare and can bring upwards of 1k if it is original. Like others have said do the brakes, power steering, get it running and drive it for a while. You will inevitably change your mind on what you want it to be.

Sounds like it might be a U14 with the bench seat and bulkhead. I believe 72 was the last year for that model. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

OP
OP
zeppelin_71

zeppelin_71

The place in Kerrville is BC Broncos. Jason is a great guy and will do as little or as much as you want. Your list sounds good that will get it running, easier to drive, and safe. Would love to see pics, wondering if your olive green is "Boxwood Green" which is my favorite color!

My dad's looks just like this except no lift and only a single gas tank. The caption to this photo did say Boxwood Green.

293uivs.png

OP
OP
zeppelin_71

zeppelin_71

There are some Texas guys that will chime in on a shop to use. If I was you I would haul it to BC Broncos in south Texas and let them clean the carb and do a tune up and let them add power steering, power disk brakes and bring it home and start driving it and decide your next upgrades. They may even swap you 2 bucket seats for your bench as the bench is more rare and desirable. The list could go on forever, they could do a cage, AC tires, paint and so on. But power steering, power disk brakes, and a tune up should only run you $2-3000 and even though that sounds like a lot, it will be road worthy and was a free Bronco.

Interesting. I don't necessarily want front buckets. My more important priority is to have a rear seat so the entire family can use the car. I just figured I needed buckets to make the rear set accessible.

OP
OP
zeppelin_71

zeppelin_71

Welcome and good luck with your dads Bronco. I have a similar story but with my grandfather. Take the advice I didn't and just get it running and stopping first. The rest just do slow and there are plenty of videos on you tube on doing everything your self. So once it's running and you can enjoy it some you can do other things. Be careful of Bronco Creep. Every time I try to do one thing it turns into five. But that's my advice. It's yours so do it as you feel is right.

Hey!!! Let me hold a dollar I'm in the middle of a restore here!

Appreciate the tips; I think running/stopping plus a few creature comforts like disc brakes, power steering, and A/C might be a good start. Thanks.

OP
OP
zeppelin_71

zeppelin_71

Glad to hear they're recommended. I'll have to look more seriously into the logistics of hauling/trailering a car out there. Sounds like maybe I should consider keeping the bench; that way my wife could cuddle up next to me anyway :).

I don't really have any desire for a cage, paint, etc. For the most part, I want this to have a patina.

OP
OP
zeppelin_71

zeppelin_71

Hello,
I am in the dallas area. Congrats on the Bronco. Heard these guys are good BC Broncos in south Texas They have a ad on here at top of website check it out. Give me a shout if you need anything. Novice here to Broncos and learn as I go. There is a club here in TX for early broncos its $30.00 join or you can just subscribe to the google groups list and ask questions http://lebc.clubexpress.com/

Thanks for the advice.

OP
OP
zeppelin_71

zeppelin_71

It appears it is Boxwood Green. I just found this photo online that looks exactly like it except no lift or double tanks.

293uivs.png

Toddpole

Contributor
Welcome to the addiction! We'd love to have you join Lonestar Early Bronco Club (LEBC). We have several members in the Austin area, including our president in Dripping Springs. He goes by Scoop on this site. Most all Bronco owners are more than happy to give advice and/or help. Visit or site http://lebc.clubexpress.com/ and sign up for the email list. You don't have to be a member to join the email list. I guarantee you won't be sorry. Introduce yourself and feel free to ask any and all questions. Occasionally someone will ask for help on a large prject (all day) in exchange for pizza, bbq, beer, whatever. If you can bbq, cook or just have good beer you will most likely get more help than you know what to do with.
My name is Todd. I'm one of the club officers. Come see us!

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The wagons with a bench seat and bulkhead were sold as delivery vehicles, uncommon if not rare (if original).
The bench and bulkhead were originally for the half cab aka U14

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would not keep the bench if you want a rear seat. It is not super valuable and swapping to buckert does not depreciate its value

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Welcome and congrats!! I hope your good fortune continues. If you know the VIN or have a picture of the VIN plate that will tell you a lot about the Bronco and how it was originally configured.

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My dad's looks just like this except no lift and only a single gas tank. The caption to this photo did say Boxwood Green.

293uivs.png

That's my favorite color (was the color of my dad's bronco and the 1st vehicle I ever drove before I could see over the steering wheel).

TX SS

Contributor
Loc.
Houston
Welcome. I'm in Houston if you want someone to look over it with you. If you decide to part with bench seat I have a pair of bucket seats I'll trade you towards it along with some cash.

muskrat

Bronco Guru
Glad to hear they're recommended. I'll have to look more seriously into the logistics of hauling/trailering a car out there. Sounds like maybe I should consider keeping the bench; that way my wife could cuddle up next to me anyway :).

I don't really have any desire for a cage, paint, etc. For the most part, I want this to have a patina.

Welcome. Congrats on the super cool gift from your dad. You've come to the right place for Bronco advise. Great suggestions on taking it to BC Broncos for carb cleaning, power steering and power brakes with front disks. I did all of those upgrades to my '74 and it has made the drivability so much more safe and enjoyable.

Now, on a serious note, you mention above that you are not interested in a cage. The cage or roll bar, whichever route you go, is not about aesthetics, it's about safety. Even with the hardtop on, it is very little protection in the event of a roll over. You had mentioned your wife's desire to have a fun vehicle that can be driven topless, all the more season to have rollover protection installed.

The cage or roll bar will also allow you to install modern three point retractable seat belts.

Please reconsider rollover protection for you and the family.

Looking forward to seeing some pics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk