• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Great reads on 5sp tranny pages in Tech Articles????

RPM289

Has anyone done one on M50D or AX15? Yes yes I'm still comparing tranny swap options LOL. Decisions decisions!!! :) :) :)

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
Hahahah
I'm with yea .... I can't make up my mind . The crap thing is a got rid of all my clutch stuff when I did my C4 swap a few years ago.

OP
OP
R

RPM289

i have done a couple M5OD - what ya wanna know

I am running a mild 302 4bbl headders, 3 speed floor shifter, D20 twin sticks, 38.5 tires (Would like to drop back to 35s) 4:11 gears, 5in lift, 2in body lift. What adapters etc and what mods will I need to do? I know Hyd clutch, Steel plugs in tranny. Is it possible to modify bellhousing to run manual clutch? On road use and some mild wheeling.

What is best vehicle to get tranny out of?

THANKS!!!

Mike

Joe473

I am running a mild 302 4bbl headders, 3 speed floor shifter, D20 twin sticks, 38.5 tires (Would like to drop back to 35s) 4:11 gears, 5in lift, 2in body lift. What adapters etc and what mods will I need to do? I know Hyd clutch, Steel plugs in tranny. Is it possible to modify bellhousing to run manual clutch? On road use and some mild wheeling.

What is best vehicle to get tranny out of?

THANKS!!!

Mike
For an M5 I believe 97 later 4.2 v6 4x4 f150 has the furthest back shifter. I did a reman unit from a 2000 f150 4x4. 4.2 v6 maintains the 302 bellhousing pattern. ZF adapter from advance adapter works to connect d20 or some have run 205. Driveshafts will need to be shortened. Bronco zf crossmember from as or BC works.
Plan on twin sticks and a some fab work for a bracket or bending levers. I modified bracket and bent T-shift handle. 1 rib on trans near t shift will need to be removed for clearance. Holes in bellhousing will need to be enlarged for I think 7/16" hardware.

Never saw an M5 with manual clutch but I would do hydraulic if planning on headers as it gets the z bar and linkage out of the way. Also if you run late model 302 you will not have boss for clutch pivot.

Pics below of shifter location and master cylinder location. Also added a brace to prevent firewall flex.

4dafc374d8d81094df4115606e77aec7.jpg
1d5887cd4463bf1fa16cca2262d7c3ed.jpg
5e505b10e5f3a4dcf365e3d2a55cd42e.jpg
7bea1c111a75f7c279be0572f6abeda3.jpg
94070a8c557a15fcd12a811b174394f0.jpg
5902ab244d976c7c2976cc021e0fa820.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
i bought the d20 adapter. used a master cylinder out of a 200 SD250 so when I ordered the slave cylinder I ordered one for the same truck so they woiuld match. slaves from ZF and M5 both bolt the same. Everyone that drives it complains of how stiff it is thogh so I think it must have a higher holding pressure. I used an 89 model M5 but i think the best one with the farthest back shifter is the 04 and newer version for v6 application. You will have to enlarge the bolt holes for the correct size bolts to fit though. No need to buy a crossmember. you can easily make one out of square tube, just measure how far down the trans hangs below the frame and duplicate it. BIG THING TO KNOW...htis setup is 9 inches longer than the stock threespeed. I had to have new driveshafts made(my old ones were toast) But you would need to shorten the rear and lengthen the front. I had moved my rear end back 1.5 inches so my driveshafts came out the same length ( i also have a 3.5" lift). Mounting the master cylinder is easy and if you use the big truck master and get it out of the junkyard it will have a reinforcement plate for the back of the firewall.

agboy91

Loc.
Bishop, GA
I have the M5 on a 5.0efi from an explore. I have the M5 bolted to the 205. I put the farthest forward shifter in as well. All bolted up fine. Need to machine the mounting plate on the M5 for the 205 shift rods to mate up. My M5 was from a 97 F150. I used the Hyd clutch as well. I went this rout as it was less expensive( no adaptors) and it's a good transmission. I have the 3:55 rear diff gears and plan to go to 4:10 some day. Good luck.

OP
OP
R

RPM289

i bought the d20 adapter. used a master cylinder out of a 200 SD250 so when I ordered the slave cylinder I ordered one for the same truck so they woiuld match. slaves from ZF and M5 both bolt the same. Everyone that drives it complains of how stiff it is thogh so I think it must have a higher holding pressure. I used an 89 model M5 but i think the best one with the farthest back shifter is the 04 and newer version for v6 application. You will have to enlarge the bolt holes for the correct size bolts to fit though. No need to buy a crossmember. you can easily make one out of square tube, just measure how far down the trans hangs below the frame and duplicate it. BIG THING TO KNOW...htis setup is 9 inches longer than the stock threespeed. I had to have new driveshafts made(my old ones were toast) But you would need to shorten the rear and lengthen the front. I had moved my rear end back 1.5 inches so my driveshafts came out the same length ( i also have a 3.5" lift). Mounting the master cylinder is easy and if you use the big truck master and get it out of the junkyard it will have a reinforcement plate for the back of the firewall.

Confused? Moved axle back 1 1/2 but same length shafts? Swap front to back?

OP
OP
R

RPM289

Now for a stupid question... Why not run T case that is on a ZF or M50 from factory?

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
MOved the rear axel back 1 1/2 inches to center the wheels in the wheel wells. the rear tcase yoke is now 9 inches farther back because of the length of the trans and the adapter for the tcase. I also have a 3.5 inch suspension lift. with the tcase yokes being 9 inches farther back this put the tcase in the direct center of the bronco. both my driveshafts measure 29 1/2 inches now. usually the rear is longer then the front and you have to lengthen both shafts to accommodate a lift. because my tcase moved back this would mean the front would need lengthened and the back shortened. however the lengths needed would not allow just flipping the two shafts. I had to order new shafts from tom woods. hope that clears it up a bit

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi,
I run the NV3550 and I love it! It's an awesome 5 speed with an overdrive gear that makes freeway driving a reality. My 66 has a 302, 2v 500cfm carb, 33's and 4.35s. I spent extra and bought mine new and do not regret it.

Here's a link to the tech write up installing the NV3550.

Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!
:cool:

http://classicbroncos.com/tech/nv-3550-install