• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best waterproofing ideas for engine and no inner fenders?

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
iu
????

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Why not use a diesel with a snorkel?

Older diesel engines (pre-electronic controlled) are able to run under water.
Seal the lower parts of the snorkel and you can drive it until you hit a hole deep enough to put the snorkel inlet under.

OP
OP
R

RPM289

Just thinking about a deep water crossing and not drowning the motor out no diesel conversion in my future :) Got the dielectric grease already ntsqd :) :)

How do electric fans like to be submerged?

Air intake ideas?

Sealing up engine, tranny, axle vents, etc?

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I built manifolds for several of my 4X4's that are vented high in the engine bay. Axle, trans, and t/c vents were all plumbed to it. Similar to, but way, way in advance of BCB's manifold. One such manifold that I built for a friend was plumbed into the engine's PCV system on the vent side (no vacuum applied).

Some of the Toyota axle vent fittings are pretty trick. Spring loaded to open under pressure only, a vacuum seals them. So suddenly submerging a hot axle in water sucks the vent closed tighter.

OP
OP
R

RPM289

I built manifolds for several of my 4X4's that are vented high in the engine bay. Axle, trans, and t/c vents were all plumbed to it. Similar to, but way, way in advance of BCB's manifold. One such manifold that I built for a friend was plumbed into the engine's PCV system on the vent side (no vacuum applied).

Some of the Toyota axle vent fittings are pretty trick. Spring loaded to open under pressure only, a vacuum seals them. So suddenly submerging a hot axle in water sucks the vent closed tighter.

Like the sound of yoto vents! I helped restore a M38 Willys and it had all vents plumbed into the intake system. yoto sounds much easier!

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What am I doing? Not driving in water deeper than the door sill:)

Absolutely have to cross deeper? Engine off, winch.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Like the sound of yoto vents! I helped restore a M38 Willys and it had all vents plumbed into the intake system. yoto sounds much easier!
Right up until a piece of grit mucks up the works and won't let it close.

In a previous thread here on this topic I wondered about pressurizing, in particular the axles, to a couple psi. Some were outraged by the very concept & predicted the Apocalypse should anyone try it.
Out here on the left coast's Coastal Desert we don't see much deep water crossings, but that sure seems like the best idea to me. Making it happen wouldn't be simple, but if I had regular deep crossings to do I'd sure be looking into it.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Just thinking about a deep water crossing and not drowning the motor out...

How do electric fans like to be submerged?

Air intake ideas?

Sealing up engine, tranny, axle vents, etc?
Sealing them isn't possible - their seals can't be that tight (because they'd wear out instantly), so they can't hold any pressure. That means they have to "breathe" somehow, for altitude & temperature changes. High breather tubes will allow them to vent in those situations, but also when submerged and the water leaks in past the wheel/crank/input/output seals. What about the PCV system? Even a mechanical (gas) fuel pump has a breather hole that you have to address somehow.

And that's not the only issue. In addition to the spinning fan (which can be partially solved with e-fans, but as you noted, THEY also aren't sealed for submerging), spinning alternator (& its soft carbon brushes), vented PS reservoir at the cap, and all the electrical components that don't work well after being soaked with muddy/salty water. Even without a fan spinning near it, the radiator, block, & all the coolant will also chill & contract, meaning that the coolant system will suck in whatever's around its overflow/vent.

Then you have to think about what's going to happen to the exhaust manifolds (gas OR diesel) when they go from ~1,000°F to whatever the local water temperature is, in a second or 3. And the cylinder heads. And any incandescent light bulbs that are on.

Now, you're just left with all the little insignificant things: fuel tank, HVAC, upholstery, seat belts/buckles/reels, door/tailgate/hood latches & hinges, chassis/underbody rust...

All of those (& many others) are why only a FEW expensive (military & modern sport) vehicles are rated to go from land to water above the wheel hubs.

If you want to play in the water, bring a pair of boots, or tow a boat behind your Bronco. ;D
Otherwise, just plan on rebuilding the hubs, draining the axles, and repairing/replacing other things any time you go deep. :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RPM289

I swim like a rock so no deeper than the rockers is a good rule for me but as I stated I have no inner fenders so water will be thrown from tires all in engine bay.

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I worry more about the fan getting into the radiator than with electronics. My buddy did this a couple years ago and that fan is like a prop when in the water--pulling itself into the radiator.

And even if I get through the water I wake-up thinking about stuff rusting in the bottom of the diffs. That is until I drain the fluids (they were clean).

laserfish

Had the fan cut a circular section in my radiator early in my offroad experience. Came home on a trailer. Now have an e fan with a switch in the cab so this does not happen again. Just have to remember to turn it back on or it will over heat, as me how i know!

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Fan is twisting /torqing from the resistance when trying to rotate when hitting the water

BC's guard works great like TS posted