• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Four turn power steering box identification

Larry D

We are looking online at a ex TBP rebuilt power steering box offered for sale. Have only a picture but there is a tag on the top of the box cover plate. One of the threads I found here indicated that a stamping of "SP Z" indicates a 6 turn box.
Does anyone have info as to what the stamping would be for a 4 turn box. Turning the input shaft of the box is not an option as yet. any other pointers welcome.
Thanks.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
If it's rebuilt, the internals could have easily been swapped to a quicker ratio. The tag would then be meaningless.

Kind of like re-gearing an axle but leaving the factory tag on it. Tells you what it would have originally been, but no guarantee that's what's still in it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Any chance you can get that info from the seller Larry? Assuming they're telling the truth that is. Plenty of chances for that to go south, I realize. But it could be worth it.

Nice to see a video of them turning the input shaft lock-to-lock to see how many turns it takes.
I don't know the numbers, but like Justin said, you never really know from original markings. It's a start, but not a guarantee.

Good luck. If you end up getting it let us know what the markings end up being anyway, along with the number of turns.

Paul

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
We are looking online at a ex TBP rebuilt power steering box offered for sale. Have only a picture but there is a tag on the top of the box cover plate. One of the threads I found here indicated that a stamping of "SP Z" indicates a 6 turn box.
Does anyone have info as to what the stamping would be for a 4 turn box. Turning the input shaft of the box is not an option as yet. any other pointers welcome.
Thanks.

The stock Bronco 4 turn boxes were tagged SPA AU. The input shaft looks slightly different in that it doesn't have the groove around it. The date code on the box would be from late '75 through '77.

But it is true that the ratio could have been changed by now. I've changed many 6 turn boxes into 3 1/2 or 4 turn boxes. I've never changed a 4 turn box into anything else, but that's just me.