• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Torque Wrench Basics

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
When selecting a torque wrench for a job one of the most important part is to have a wrench that is correct size for the job not too large of a range and not too small. You want a wrench that is close to middle of the range as possible (i.e. if you need to torque at 75 ft. lbs you would want to use a 0-150 lb torque wrench) one rule of thumb is ¼ to ¾ of the range, that way you get the most accuracy out of the tool. If you are planning on using your torque wrench quite often you will want a good quality brand. Never use a torque wrench as a ratchet as this will wear it out prematurely also it will strip the gears and slip on you leaving you with bloody knuckles we know no one likes that. Also do not use them to loosen bolts and fasteners. Another key thing is when done using your torque wrench always return the setting back to zero this relieves strain off the springs. As always keep you tools clean and dry as possible. So the next time you go to use it it’s in good working order and should still be accurate.
Note: it is always a good idea to put a little oil/grease on the fastener head to help insure you are getting the correct torque.

If you have anything to add to this FAQ please respond below

Kenny Ramsey (Skiddy)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Skiddy

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
broncorican said:
If I had to choose one that would fit most of my jobs on my 74 Bronco, which would you suggest.
I would say a 0-150 ft lbs. for most of the things that need torqued, mostly engine items. If you want some opions on brands let me know. Hope that helps

broncorican

Loc.
Caguas, Puerto Rico
Thanks. When you get a chance send me those brand names. This came up as I'm trying to learn how to do some minor repairs on my newly acquired 74, (i.e. power steering box) I saw that just about every nut and bolt has a torque range.
Ed

hawkgt

Loc.
Leesburg, VA
Torque wrench basics: recommendations

What brand torque wrenches do you recommend. My craftsman gave out when I recently changed some CV joints in my wifes car. I need to replace a timing belt on the same car in a few weeks. I only use a torque wrench a handful of times a year so I don't want to invest in something REALLY nice. Thanks!

Jason

OP
OP
Skiddy

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
hawkgt said:
What brand torque wrenches do you recommend. My craftsman gave out when I recently changed some CV joints in my wifes car. I need to replace a timing belt on the same car in a few weeks. I only use a torque wrench a handful of times a year so I don't want to invest in something REALLY nice. Thanks!

Jason
PM sent Jason;)

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I used to have a parts house for about30 years I guess I sold at least 10 different brands thru the years .....I'M still using a K D brand 0 to 150 click modle ..I also have one of the wand modles like a 0 to 150 it like a 18 inch break over bar ..your read on the scale at the handle not nearly as good as my clicker ..
I once sold one by SIOUX tools went from 200 too 600 lb it cost me about 660.00 sold for 880.00 I believe so THERE ARE SOME REAL BIG wrenches out there ...

OP
OP
Skiddy

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
PAPITT said:
I used to have a parts house for about30 years I guess I sold at least 10 different brands thru the years .....I'M still using a K D brand 0 to 150 click modle ..I also have one of the wand modles like a 0 to 150 it like a 18 inch break over bar ..your read on the scale at the handle not nearly as good as my clicker ..
I once sold one by SIOUX tools went from 200 too 600 lb it cost me about 660.00 sold for 880.00 I believe so THERE ARE SOME REAL BIG wrenches out there ...
Yeah we have some here at work from 500-1000 lbs and some from 1000-2000 lbs any thing larger than that we use a multiplier

old number 8

Loc.
NOT Seattle
As far as accuracy, keep the wrench head within 15˚ to the centerline of the bolt. This is critical when using extensions. Don’t worry about the length of extension you use, as torque applied to the wrench end will be equally applied to the socket end.

stock1970

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, Kansas
i have one of those old style with the needle that runs along the length of the wrench, are these that bad to use for the once in a blue moon need... or should i invest in a clicker type ?