• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear Axle Bearing Fit in Housing

Kalkster73

Loc.
Washington, IL
I just replaced wheel bearings on stock axles ('74 large bearing). On the passenger side, the bearing and retainer pressed on with a decent amount of force as expected. When assembled back in the housing, the bearing OD slide right into the bore and the retainer fit flush.

On the drivers side axle, the bearing slid right on and the retainer took a very light press. When going back in, the bearing OD did not want to go back in the housing. It took several whacks with a dead blow and drawing in with the retainer plate.

Can you confirm this is not right and that the outer race should be line to line or a very light press with the housing?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In general, the axle bearing should be a tight slip fit in the housing end assuming a clean housing end. Sometimes it takes some effort and extra measures to get them out due to corrosion, but that doesn't have anything to do with the fit. Personally, if it were mine and that tight, I'd take a flap sander and my die-grinder and loosen up that housing end slightly to match the other side.

As for the bearing and retainer collar fit on the axle, I'd be concerned that you don't have enough interference between the collar and axle and that the axle could walk out. This is fairly common on axles that have had multiple sets of bearings installed, or ones where the collars were pressed off instead of cut off, and the solution would be to get a new or different used axle.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
I would replace that axle shaft. A light press is bad news and could loose wheel/tire/axle shaft at a very inconvenient time. Axle shafts are relatively affordable and cheap insurance in my book...

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Very smart move. That one with the bearing that slide right on the shaft is not right. I've replaced hundreds and they should press on and the lock ring is a hard press.