• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer EFI Mass Buy Feeler.

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Hey Garry, would a kit like this be of any benefit to my 99 explorer swapped 351 that you did my harness and computer for that hopefully I will be finishing up soon. I did the afr heads and comp cam you suggested bout three years ago.
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/dui-5-0kit-ex-bl

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's funny because of the disclaimer that it's just a representative image. What is pictured looks like a Dodge Neon coil pack. What you receive probably looks like a Ford coil pack.

I personally wouldn't spend any money trying upgrade to a hotter ignition system than the factory EDIS. Anyone that has been bit by it can tell you it's plenty hot!

However, I have used the Neon coil packs in place of Ford coil packs. I can't tell you if there is any performance increase or decrease to them. The only reason for doing it is so that you can use standard plug wires rather than the funny ends that the Ford coil packs have. But, to use them you need to splice the proper connectors onto the harness and build a bracket to hold them from scratch.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The Neon coil packs appear to be a bit lower profile, which could be a good thing.
The Neon tuners say that hotter than stock Neon coils don't improve performance.

Casey835

What is pictured isn't what they look like. I guess you could say it's a generic picture at best. If you look at the same kit with red wires, the coil and wires are just like the stock explorer. I was interested in that kit if I had to buy new coils and wires. That's all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
The red pictures show exactly what you need. It seems a little pricey, but I bet new OE parts would probably run about the same.

Tom Dummer

Loc.
Scappoose, Or
Ok I've looked over all the old EFI builds I could fine. Where the hell is the part number for the OIL FILTER block adapter???
?:?

JCBronco71

Hi Gary. Do you have email or a phone number. Im ready to send this out to you if you are...

Tanko

Loc.
Tucson
I just bought my first ever Bronco. I'm glad I found this thread. Now I'm looking for a suitable Explorer donor vehicle and would like to submit my harness and computer for modification.

jmhend

Bronco Guru
I just bought my first ever Bronco. I'm glad I found this thread. Now I'm looking for a suitable Explorer donor vehicle and would like to submit my harness and computer for modification.

Welcome and congratulations on your purchase.

Tanko

Loc.
Tucson
Thanks. I didn't waste any time finding a donor Explorer. In the process of searching the typical Craigslist and Facebook marketplace ads, I ended up surfing Copart, and whoaaa! There were tons of 5.0 Explorers for cheap all over the country.

If you're not familiar with Copart, this is how you find an Explorer 5.0 quick for cheap.

1--go to www.copart.com
2--just search on explorer
3--when the results come back, go on the left and find "engine type" and narrow your search to 5.0 only
4--then on the left side again, filter on "no license required" (unless you have a car dealer license to buy)
5--you can even further filter on "run & drive" or other things to get the best condition ones if you like

I picked up a 1998 5.0 for $800 today. However, after taxes and auction fees it cost me $1200. It runs and shifts perfectly. I can't wait to get started.

onebadd73

Loc.
Moreno Valley, Ca.
I bought 2 explorers last year.

1998 Explorer limited AWD with 145K miles for $600.00
1996 Explorer 5.0 2 wheel drive 160k miles for $400.00

One a craigslist find the other on Offer up.
There out there for cheap..

1buckeyefan1

Contributor
Thanks. I didn't waste any time finding a donor Explorer. In the process of searching the typical Craigslist and Facebook marketplace ads, I ended up surfing Copart, and whoaaa! There were tons of 5.0 Explorers for cheap all over the country.

If you're not familiar with Copart, this is how you find an Explorer 5.0 quick for cheap.

1--go to www.copart.com
2--just search on explorer
3--when the results come back, go on the left and find "engine type" and narrow your search to 5.0 only
4--then on the left side again, filter on "no license required" (unless you have a car dealer license to buy)
5--you can even further filter on "run & drive" or other things to get the best condition ones if you like

I picked up a 1998 5.0 for $800 today. However, after taxes and auction fees it cost me $1200. It runs and shifts perfectly. I can't wait to get started.
I did this a few mos ago. Good selection..I went with an insurance totaled 2001 mountaineer. Be aware of the fees and my biggest mistake was thinking the pre-bid was my Max bid. My $360 turned into the starting bid, which won without any other bidders. Tack another $240 fees on top of that. $600 still seemed fair though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Yes they are out there for cheap. I found locally, a rolled but running 96 with 128k mileage, for $400. I actually came out money ahead. I sold the front seats and the rear end to a mustang guy for $500. Then I got $130 from the scrap yard.

Tanko

Loc.
Tucson
I decided to use the Ford Windstar computer mount instead of the Explorer computer mount. I found both a 2001 and 1998 Windstar at the local U-Pull here. The advantage over the Explorer is that it's smaller and allows you to avoid using the huge piece under the dash inside. Getting the front plastic face is easy off the Windstar van. Just unscrew or pry the plastic cowling plates in the wiper area and you'll see the front of the PCM behind the passenger side strut tower. Getting that plate off is no problem. The hard part is getting the rear bracket off that holds the actual PCM. You have to get it from behind the glove box door, and the A/C unit gives very little room to operate. I unbolted the A/C unit and used a big pry bar to bend it downward and crack the A/C plastic to gave just enough room to wiggle it out.

1buckeyefan1

Contributor
I decided to use the Ford Windstar computer mount instead of the Explorer computer mount. I found both a 2001 and 1998 Windstar at the local U-Pull here. The advantage over the Explorer is that it's smaller and allows you to avoid using the huge piece under the dash inside. Getting the front plastic face is easy off the Windstar van. Just unscrew or pry the plastic cowling plates in the wiper area and you'll see the front of the PCM behind the passenger side strut tower. Getting that plate off is no problem. The hard part is getting the rear bracket off that holds the actual PCM. You have to get it from behind the glove box door, and the A/C unit gives very little room to operate. I unbolted the A/C unit and used a big pry bar to bend it downward and crack the A/C plastic to gave just enough room to wiggle it out.
How does this compare to the mid-2000's escape pcm box? I pulled 2 of them last weekend, just 3 10mm bolts on front, pop the cowl, 2 8mm bolts holding it in.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Fordonfire

Help. I want to do this. The junk yard cut the main plug off the harness when they pulled my 97 explorer 5.0 motor.
I am looking for a harness if someone has one?