• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer EFI Mass Buy Feeler.

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Subscribed.. I have a 98 Explorer AWD out back that going to be a donor for the 72 Halfcab rebuild.
So if I go this route my reworked factory harness can replace the new Bauman 4R70W harness i bought but have never unwrapped?

Correct. 4r70w control is built in to the Explorer PCM, no need for a separate controller.

Do we lose the ability to program shift points and manually lock the torque converter?

You can not program shift points yourself. If you needed something changed you would have to send the PCM back for me to change it. I don't charge for that but I ask you to cover the shipping. I do have a few tuning templates for hotter shifting as well.

Adding a converter lock up button is probably do-able. I have never tested it though. So, I'm not sure if it will throw a check engine light or not. I'm going to need a guinea pig before I can give a definite answer for that.

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Cool. Can u take my current charts from baumann and jam them into the eec or will u have to start from scratch?

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Cool. Can u take my current charts from baumann and jam them into the eec or will u have to start from scratch?

Can you send me the charts to see how similar it is?

Any chance we could get the cruise control to work? That would be so cool!

I have someone that will be testing cruise control out soon. As long as it works well I'll probably offer it as an add on.

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Attached my primary and secondary programs. I had to change the extension because of website file restrictions. Just download and rename the extension xxxxxxx.BTC. Keep in mind I have a switch to manually lock the converter and a rocker setup for manutronic shifting.

Enjoy.

mlogan24, posted to yahoo per your request.

:cool:

Attachments

• ControllerReadback_Table#1.dxf
    62 KB · Views: 39
  • ControllerReadback_Table#2.dxf
    61.8 KB · Views: 8

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
Attached my primary and secondary programs. I had to change the extension because of website file restrictions. Just download and rename the extension xxxxxxx.BTC. Keep in mind I have a switch to manually lock the converter and a rocker setup for manutronic shifting.

Enjoy.

mlogan24, posted to yahoo per your request.

:cool:

Uploaded to the file section - thanks!

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
96 and early 97 have VSS wiring present. For the later ones the signal came from the ABS controller, so you need to install a typical Ford VSS in to the T-case for cruise to work. Like this one:

hqdefault.jpg

PaveBronco

Subscribed, just picked up a 96 Explorer Motor less harness and PCM, and if possible want to keep the stock Coil pack type set up..if possible…if cheaper.
So I’ll be reading and re-reading these posts.
Great Info.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I keep getting closer to firing mine, BCB VA A/C install is slowing me down some... Centech harness is almost done.

I need to finish the joining of the two harnesses, install the steering column, and have some fuel lines and A/C hose made.

Attachments

• DSCN1765.jpg
    DSCN1765.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 477
  • DSCN1750.jpg
    DSCN1750.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 444
  • DSCN1755.jpg
    DSCN1755.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 488

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
BCB Vintage Air A/C

Here is a inside picture... It has slowed the install of the Explorer EFI some...

And it is a little busy back there... Hoping I do not have to go back in for any reason.

And yes that is a modified 77 dash that went back in... I still have the 68 and it is uncut.

Attachments

• DSCN1739.jpg
    DSCN1739.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 384
  • DSCN1759.jpg
    DSCN1759.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 380

akirshbom

Looking great. What hoses did you use to connect the explorer heater hose tubes to the BCB 90*s in the engine compartment? Do you have part numbers by any chance?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Looking great. What hoses did you use to connect the explorer heater hose tubes to the BCB 90*s in the engine compartment? Do you have part numbers by any chance?

Gates #28469, Basically an "L" shape. It is long, a lot of wasted hose. They make shorter ones, this is what my parts house had, used two of them. Some very minor bending of the Explorer tubes away from fire wall for better clearance. (less than a 1/4" movement). Use a little silicon lube on the hose ends to slide them on and give you movement once on.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
PCV Hose

My original Explorer donor had 176K on it, hoses were hard and brittle. I was going to bend up some 3/8 steel line and then I thought about...

I called the Dealership with the part number on the hose, then ended up going there with the whole assembly to confirm.

Updated part # XL2C-6C324-AA

$57 list, I got it under that with my discount...

Now how do I get the Throttle Body to clear the hood? :(

Attachments

• PCV Hoses.jpg
    PCV Hoses.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
So I needed to lower the coil bracket for sparkplug wire/boot clearance with the hood. I took out 1 inch, but it should have been 3/4". I had to shim the bracket up with spacers on the mounting studs. It fits with the 1", but there is no room for the corner mounting screw on the back of the Drvrs coil pack. (see picture)
I marked out 1 inch and cut the bracket with a band saw. I put a center scribe so I could put everything back in alignment when I welded the pieces together.

Not sure if I am going to rattle can this or powder coat...

To answer my last question about the TB and IAC hood clearance issue - I rotated the TB 180*. The IAC is under the elbow and it has to be rotated 180* as well, so it can clear the oil fill tube.

(The oil fill tube needs 1 inch cut out of it too, so it will clear the hood. Previously noted in someones thread build...)

It looks like a Lokar accel cable and a custom mounting bracket to the TB is in order ;D

Attachments

• DSCN1902.jpg
    DSCN1902.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 203
  • DSCN1903.jpg
    DSCN1903.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 204
  • DSCN1904.jpg
    DSCN1904.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 221
  • DSCN1921.jpg
    DSCN1921.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 198
  • DSCN1925.jpg
    DSCN1925.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 196
  • DSCN1924.jpg
    DSCN1924.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 193
  • DSCN1915.jpg
    DSCN1915.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 268
  • DSCN1917.jpg
    DSCN1917.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 220
  • DSCN1919.jpg
    DSCN1919.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 213
  • DSCN1918.jpg
    DSCN1918.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 214
OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Nice job on the bracket!

Rotating the IAC may give you problems though. I know that the Mustang IAC requires vacuum on the correct port for the valve to close properly. Flipping it can cause the IAC to hang open and results in high idle.

I don't know if that's the case with the Explorer IAC, I've never tried, but I suspect it might.