• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer EFI Mass Buy Feeler.

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Both the harness and trans that you are using come in to play here. On a 98+ trans I wouldn't want to run it off the programming from a 96-97. 99-01 is set up for the returnless fuel system so you don't want to run it with your 19's. That pretty much leaves you with 98.

I can find the 98 PCMs fairly easily around here, it's finding the elusive un-cut 98 harness that is difficult for me.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Just thought I would post a few pictures of how I did my throttle cable.

- Cable is from a 96 V8 Explorer. The cable is obsolete from Ford, V6 and V8 cables are different
- I reversed the factory V8 cable bracket on the TB, 96-98 appear to be the same.
- The cable is just long enough.
- I changed the hole on the stock 68 accelerator pedal to a square, minor filing needs to be done on the cable end so it snaps in to the pedal assembly. You might even have to bend the pedal rod back or in to assure WOT.
- Note the adapter I welded onto the pedal end. I found this style on a few mid-70's full sized Fords. I bent up my own to match.
- It is easiest to snap the cable into the accel pedal assembly and then bolt it to the firewall.
- I originally thought to make the L-bracket at the TB with slotted holes for adjustment, but fixed seems to work.
- Oil fill, well you cannot use the Explorer one. The bend cause obstructions. You can take the fill tube from a Econoline van with a V8 and cut it to fit. It is basically strait off the valve cover.

Attachments

• DSCN1969.jpg
    DSCN1969.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 341
  • DSCN1968.jpg
    DSCN1968.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 303
  • DSCN1967.jpg
    DSCN1967.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 297
  • DSCN1966.jpg
    DSCN1966.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 290

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Both the harness and trans that you are using come in to play here. On a 98+ trans I wouldn't want to run it off the programming from a 96-97. 99-01 is set up for the returnless fuel system so you don't want to run it with your 19's. That pretty much leaves you with 98.

I can find the 98 PCMs fairly easily around here, it's finding the elusive un-cut 98 harness that is difficult for me.
Thanks. That makes much more sense.

So to run 99-01 computer, I need to obtain the fuel rail, regulator, and injectors from those years, correct?

I wonder, as a rock crawler, if going to a returnless system is a poor choice. How does it purge air? Time for some more research on my end.

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Thanks. That makes much more sense.

So to run 99-01 computer, I need to obtain the fuel rail, regulator, and injectors from those years, correct?

I wonder, as a rock crawler, if going to a returnless system is a poor choice. How does it purge air? Time for some more research on my end.

The Explorer returnless system is not a true returnless system. The fuel pressure regulator is mounted in the tank directly above the pump and purges the excess off before it leaves the tank.

So, assuming your pump and lines are capable of 65 PSI, all you would need is an adjustable fuel pressure regulator mounted on your existing fuel rail. Crank it up to 65 psi, remove the vacuum line, and you're good to go. I think it would be fine for a crawler, there should be about zero chance of vapor lock with 65 PSI.

The 99-01 injectors use a different style plug (commonly referred to as USCAR) than what a 96-98 harness has (commonly referred to as Jetronic).

Injector plug adapters are a dime a dozen so that is easy to overcome. However, the 99-01 uses a 2 wire cam sensor and your harness is setup for a 3 plug cam sensor. Since I still don't know if changing the cam sensor type in the tune works or not I would run a 99-01 harness if you are going to use a 99-01 PCM.

If you go with a 99-01 harness I would suggest getting 8 USCAR injector pigtails from a Chrysler donor car. I have yet to see a 99-01 harness that didn't have the majority of the injector connectors broken and the Chrysler design seems like it may hold up better.

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Now you have me seriously considering pulling another harness. Hmmmmm.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So I finally started working on 68 LUBR / 98 Explorer EFI / 4R70W...

I went with the Ford Windstar ECU mount rather than the Explorer. The Explorer mount is big, it sticks farther into the firewall, so more clearance on the engine side. But it takes up space inside.
Since I am running BCB A/C I needed the clearance... When everything is painted and dried, I will post the final pictures...

Here is the hole in the firewall from a 98 Windstar van... (6 1/4" x 1 5/8" approx) It is not easy getting the bracket out. Pull the glove box and remove HVAC mounts, apply force, and wiggle it out...

Holes for BCB bulkhead connectors...

what is the round hole under the cutout for the pcm mount? also have you fitted the inside a/c unit to make sure you have room?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
what is the round hole under the cutout for the pcm mount? also have you fitted the inside a/c unit to make sure you have room?

Round hole is where the heater control valve cable came through the firewall.

It is a tight fit. You need to leave room for AC bulkhead (below) and the ECU (top) has to clear cowl cross brace. So far everything clears, been working mostly on the outside... Hope to get back inside to finish up AC hoses, vents, and wiring. I need to get seat belts in place so that I can take it to the alignment shop

Tom Dummer

Loc.
Scappoose, Or
I finally got the wiring to the point of testing it yesterday. At least we know the start system works. ;D We'll try firing it up later. 99 engine & tranny. I took the Neutral signal out of the loop and made it stand alone instead of integrating it into the key start. It still interrupts the starter but now I can use the Neutral signal for a couple of other things.

Question.
Someone mentioned a company selling the headers that will work with the 99 5.0 without the plug wire interference. I cant find that in my notes..

Casey835

I finally got the wiring to the point of testing it yesterday. At least we know the start system works. ;D We'll try firing it up later. 99 engine & tranny. I took the Neutral signal out of the loop and made it stand alone instead of integrating it into the key start. It still interrupts the starter but now I can use the Neutral signal for a couple of other things.

Question.

Someone mentioned a company selling the headers that will work with the 99 5.0 without the plug wire interference. I cant find that in my notes..

What did you do for your fuel pump and regulator?

Casey835

I'm gonna be running 99 explorer EFI on 351 is why I ask. I haven't looked into it yet but first thing I intend on looking at is to see if I can use explorer pmp and reg in my BC tank with or without mod.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm gonna be running 99 explorer EFI on 351 is why I ask. I haven't looked into it yet but first thing I intend on looking at is to see if I can use explorer pmp and reg in my BC tank with or without mod.

I am in Casey's boat, I have a bc efi tank wondering if all my mountaineer stuff will fit in the tank.

Tom Dummer

Loc.
Scappoose, Or
I'm not sure about fitting it into BC's stuff but I do know that my 99 E'ff is a single rail fuel line so the in tank pump with the intank fuel "return" is necessary.

Casey835

Might be worth a call to Jason and see what info he can offer. If the explorer stuff doesn't work you would think there is an aftermarket in tank pump and regulator available that would work with BCs tank.

k5mog

Help with data link connector

I've been unable to figure out what pin 7 on the connector connects too. I've looked until I'm blue in the face, none of my material has any reference to pin 7, so someone help me out here. I pulled this conn. from a 99 explorer, possibly it's not used with the 98 ECU?

Ralph