• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Floor Pan and Other Half Done Metal Work

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
looking good man! you'll have wtf moments and times of panic lol but it' how you learn! you're almost there!

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Making small progress, got the doors torn down so I could lift them myself to fit the doors. Starting to get things lined up. New frame comes next month, once I get it I will do all the final fitting and welding. Right now just screwing and tack welding. Need to start making decisions on the suspension and motor..

Attachments

• DSC_4292.jpg
    DSC_4292.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 270
  • DSC_4283.jpg
    DSC_4283.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 389

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Man, all that new stuff looks great Jamie. Bet you never even imagined you were going to get this deep into it!

When it's ready for prime time (pun intended) are you planning any special coatings while it's so accessible? Such as Lizard Skin and the like for sound deadening and heat reduction?
You might have talked about it already but I don't remember. Just thinking it would be nice to get the driving experience to the best of it's capability with all the work you've put into it.

Keep pluggin' away. That's finally looking like daylight at the end of the tunnel.
As opposed to the oncoming train!

Paul

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Making small progress, got the doors torn down so I could lift them myself to fit the doors. Starting to get things lined up. New frame comes next month, once I get it I will do all the final fitting and welding. Right now just screwing and tack welding. Need to start making decisions on the suspension and motor..

I don't see how you get anything done.

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Paul I PM you months back about motors etc, at that time it was going to be a few tweaks, a new motor and some paint. But of course it has taken another direction. I was when I spend a month scraping Bondo off the bed that I noticed there was nothing right about this Bronco, I was one big piece of poop. One of the great things about this site is I can read all the gread advice that has been given over the years. My plan is to get the truck square, screw and tack weld, turn the truck over, epoxy prime every noke and cranny, seam seal every seam and lay down some sort of undercoating.

I have a real hard time making decisions.. product of my upbringing I can't shake it.
Suspension - all purpose but with good manors-have skills just need to know what is best for my needs: street driving, 30%, Highway 30% light off road, to maybe moderate think Sierra Nevada, MOAB easy trails stuff. I don't mind spending $$ to do thing right, I have spent plenty of money doing this wrong.
Transmission - I think I am going mack to manual transmission AX15 or something with OD
Motor - still on the fence. 351 with some sort of EFI, I like I would go with a F150 Coyote just not sure how to start that process.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I remember all the discussions from when you first started this thing.
I don't think the Coyote thing is beyond your abilities at all. But it does require a whole new set of decisions and direction finding.

If you're even remotely leaning in that direction then, don't buy things like transmissions, EFI setups, serpentine drive setups, or any of the usual engine/drivetrain related items until you've crossed that bridge.
Sometimes a great deal will sway your future direction, but make sure that's the way you want to go. In other words, forget the AX15 or any other trans until you know which engine. One for a Windsor and one for a Coyote are just not going to be compatible with each other. Unless you have a deep desire after all this to test your fab skills that is!;);D

Either way is a good way though. Which unfortunately makes the decisions that much harder.
Other than the engine though, the other stuff is relatively tried-and-true and easy pickin's from what's available.

Paul

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Hmm found this on Ebay- not sure of the mileage, these kits ship between 6-7K, the motor, EFI, Trans and transfer case rebuild $10K

The Parts Far presents: A GOOD USED 2011-2014 Ford F150 5.0 COYOTE drive train swap kit.

Complete ENGINE WITH 6R80, 6 SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION WITH THE 4X4 OPTION!.

This kit is setup with the Classic Ford Bronco crowd in mind!Hmm

This engine runs and tested good! Ask for the run video!

Guaranteed to work and run !

At TPF we call this our "Master Kit". This kit comes with everything that you need from the donor car to run this engine in most any other chassis or platform out there.

We have already turned off the pats system on this ECU for you! Now you can plug and play without the antitheft system, stopping you in your tracks. We are the only engine kit supplier to offer this at this time!

Buying the stock electronics saves you about $800 compared to the ford racing control pack!

Just having the pats turned off normally cost $500. Save that money and let us take care for that for you!

This Ford Mustang 5.0 Coyote engine is rated at 420 hp & 390 tq from the factory

This is our Master kit which comes with everything that you need to make this a "Crank-A-Pallet" running pallet engine setup! We can set this up and ship this as a running pallet for an additional $400!

Just add battery, fluids and fuel when you get it and fire it off!

Horsepower: 360 hp @ 5,500 rpm

Torque: 380 lb-ft @ 4,250 rpm

The Master kit includes:

F150 Coyote 5.0 engine with engine cover and coil covers
Engine injector and sensor wiring harness
Engine computer wiring harness
engine and trans ecu
Under hood Fuse box/power distribution box
Exhaust manifolds and oxygen sensors
Alternator
AC compressor
Engine starter motor
All front engine pulleys and idlers and belts.
Auto transmission with 4x4 option and shifter assembly
Airbox, mass air meter and intake hose
Engine computer ( With PATS DELETED)
Brake booster and master cylinder
Brake pedal assembly
Drive by wire gas pedal
Driveshaft
Speedo/Gauge cluster with correct miles
Engine Coolant tank
Engine Coolant lines
Fuel tank, pumps and module
Body Control module
Abs Module
steering column and key

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Making slow progress, had my doors all ready and lined up to test fit again...
Measured the opening wrong, I measured post to fender, not bolt hole to fender. Stripped the old windshield and put on the rusty top for better fit, I am hopping tomorrow to test the fit again.

I did have one issue, I purchased the WH SS removable hindges and found they didn't want to move much front and back compared to my old rusty hinges. The issue is the way the slide in the door comapred to the old ones. Something is off I can't figure it out. I need more play than the new hinges are giving me.

Attachments

• DSC_4892.jpg
    DSC_4892.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 234
  • DSC_4882.jpg
    DSC_4882.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 323
OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Slow go, still going backwards to go forwards. Hoping to refit the drivers side door pilar tomorrow. I spent a few days grinding off the old paint from the grill, it looks like the grill was blue, orange, black and red in its past life. I put a few really think coats of 3M primer on it, I will shoot it with buildable primer this week. I put together the new window frame and hinge to cowel, it turned out good. The old window frame had too much rust for my liking.

I have a new frame on order so I need to start thinking about the suspension. Right now the old rolling chassis is siting under a tarp, I need to find room in my garage to start taking it apart. I think the front and rear axles are keepers, the transfer case most likely needs rebuilt.... I really think this truck was one big salvage yard fix, nothing is the same color, nothing really seams to fit right. Piece by peice this truck will be awasome again.

Attachments

• DSC_4916.jpg
    DSC_4916.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC_4918.jpg
    DSC_4918.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 157
  • DSC_4909.jpg
    DSC_4909.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 154
OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Patients and perfection... I love perfection but I don't have the patients to get it. So I have been at this for several months and I am hopping I finally rounded my first courner. After going backwards for weeks I think I finally made it over my first big hurdle. My doors and tailgate are off to soda blasting next week, now time to figure out the motor and suspension on this truck.

Attachments

• DSC_5374.jpg
    DSC_5374.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 186
  • DSC_5377.jpg
    DSC_5377.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 147

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Patients and perfection... I love perfection but I don't have the patients to get it. So I have been at this for several months and I am hopping I finally rounded my first courner. After going backwards for weeks I think I finally made it over my first big hurdle. My doors and tailgate are off to soda blasting next week, now time to figure out the motor and suspension on this truck.

Before you weld your front core support make sure its the right height off of the frame. I thought I had mine at the right height but I was off by about an inch and had to shim the hell out of my fenders. I will most likely at some point cut the welds on my core support brackets and move them up, but for now I'm jut going to drive it lol

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Thanks, I am not welding the inner fender or core until I get my new frame. I don't expect to much change, the wooden frame I built is really nice and close to spec. I can't tell you how teadius this has been so far.. Next suspention and motor I hope that goes well!

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Another full day, finishing up on the firewall. I had Andy come he is a welding Guru, great help in these types of situations! Hope to get the body flipped over for final welding. I think i am going to prime, seam seal and Lizrad skin the bottom. I would be nice to see all that new metal but I think the sound deadening is woth puttong it on.

Attachments

• DSC_5471.jpg
    DSC_5471.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 176
  • DSC_5448.jpg
    DSC_5448.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 192

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Another full day, finishing up on the firewall. I had Andy come he is a welding Guru, great help in these types of situations! Hope to get the body flipped over for final welding. I think i am going to prime, seam seal and Lizrad skin the bottom. I would be nice to see all that new metal but I think the sound deadening is woth puttong it on.

I'm impressed it looks great and you banged that tub out in great time!

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

It has been a learning experience! I am hoping to the flip it over and get the welds done on the bottom next few weeks. Lots of stuff to do when you start at weld one. I have a friend Andy helping me, he is a fabricator so he is very handy when I need two hands.

I have to make some decisions I have a new frame coming so the suspension needs some thought, originally I was going with a four link, but now maybe a really nice WH 2.5 with Bilsteins, it will give me a project to do next year.

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
It has been a learning experience! I am hoping to the flip it over and get the welds done on the bottom next few weeks. Lots of stuff to do when you start at weld one. I have a friend Andy helping me, he is a fabricator so he is very handy when I need two hands.

I have to make some decisions I have a new frame coming so the suspension needs some thought, originally I was going with a four link, but now maybe a really nice WH 2.5 with Bilsteins, it will give me a project to do next year.

Cool, have you looked into any of DUFFs stuff? They make reat stuff, but I'm sure you'll save on shipping going through WH

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Hit a mile stone, put on the new hood today, great fit without trying! I am finally seeing the next chapter in my build. I am hoping to get the beast turned over and start preping the underbody. Thinking Lizard skin for just the beneth areas other areas will have pain't. Interior still thinking Gatorskin or something simular.

Attachments

• DSC_6565.jpg
    DSC_6565.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC_6568.jpg
    DSC_6568.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC_6570.jpg
    DSC_6570.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 125
OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

New frame came today! I frame quality is really nice, very nice welds!

Attachments

• IMG_0222.jpg
    IMG_0222.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_0221.jpg
    IMG_0221.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0225.jpg
    IMG_0225.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 171