• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Coyote Engine - Parts List and Info For Install

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am installing a 5.0L Coyote Engine Install for my 77 Build. I have a Coyote 5.0L out of a 2016 Mustang GT with low miles for much less $ than a Ford Coyote Crate or going the regular route with a 347 or 351w.

For ease of install and much fewer hassles and extra wiring I will most likely go with The Ford Control Pack for ECU, Harness and sensors.

Specific parts required for Coyote install in an Early Bronco:

Ford Coyote 5.0L Engine - 2011-2014
- 2011-2014 Engine Harness From Manual or Automatic Mustang are the same - Both Plug Directly into Same Year Ford Control Pack

Ford Coyote 5.0L Engine - 2015 and Nwer
- 2015 and Newer Engines with Automatic Engine Harness works only with 6R80 Transmission and Ford Control Pack
- 2015 and Newer - Use Ford Racing or Original Mustang Manual Harness and Ford Control Pack for All Transmissions other than 6R80.

Control Pack - ECU, Harness, Electronic Pedal, MAF
- Ford Control Pack
- Power By The Hour
- Others?

Transmission
- 6R80 - 4x4 From F-150
- 4R70W - Transmission From a Modular Motor - Different Bell Housing / Starter

Body Lift
- 1" Body Lift works with Inline Power Brake Bracket and minor trimming. However, Stock Hood Hits Engine Cover
- 2" works for most other Power Brake Set-ups and Clears Stock Hood

Oil Filter to Frame Clearance
- Original Coyote Oil Filter Bracket Does NOT Clear Frame
- Angled Filter Adaptor
- Oil Filter Relocation Kit

Motor Mounts
- BC mounts - Direct Bolt In and No Frame Modification. Looks like they may be lower too???
- Others that work?

Starter
- Solenoid on Coyote Starter does NOT clear frame.
- Powermaster 9132 - "Clockable" version to Rotate Solenoid Position
- Ford Performance Starter - M-11000-C50

Serpentine System
- Original System will NOT clear Frame
- BC Serpentine System works with NO frame Modification.

Exhaust Manifolds / Headers
- BC Headers
- Tumblin Headers
- Modified Stock Mustang Manifolds work great - 1 3/4" Primaries

Steering Box
- Box Spacer - Offset Steering Box Out

Power Steering Pump
- BC Serpentine keeps PS Pump at Driver's side
- I have seen others that work and have PS Pump on Passenger Side

Passenger Side Inner Fender Mod - Additional Width Needed. - Pictures on post #23.

Air Intake
- BC Air Intake
- FMS Cobra Jet Air Intake

Anything else specific to the Early Bronco with Coyote Install? Please let me know and I will add to the list above.

Pictures of current builds are greatly appreciated and include specific parts for the Coyote used for your install.

No two Broncos are the same. Slight differences in each might require slight modifications.

I am sure this is talked about already here on this site, but I wanted to make a list for all parts needed as a reference for others. Not just for my interest.

Thank you.

Last edited:

DallasBronco

Edited- Seems to be a lot of good info here as rguest3 continues to update the OP.

Last edited:

kancox

I hate to be "that guy", but almost every question asked has been answered a minimum of 5 times and likely has an entire thread devoted to it. If I wasn't on my phone I'd link some of them for you; 15 mins of searching will likely get you 99% of the way there

have you come up with them links yet or are you still on your phone

Iwannagofast

Don’t quote me on this, I am in process of the coyote swap now and I think i had to do a 2.5 body lift because of the transmission I wanted but most require I think 3”. If you PM me I’ll have time to go through the whole list with you tomorrow, but my coyote swap isn’t the typical one and is going to be much different then anything out there. (Hopefully in a good way lol)

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think I have most of the issues covered for specific items that need to be addressed with a Coyote install.

If you have specific parts that have worked for you, ie headers or air intake, please list them and I will add to Post #1.

Thanks

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
BC has a Power Steering Pump in their Serpentine System. They have the remote reservoir too. This also moves the Alternator to the passenger side too.

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Talk to Jason at BC Broncos, he can guide you to the right path and he has all the stuff you need to make the coyote swap.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I like BC Broncos and I have installed many of their parts in the past. Yes, they look like they have a lot of custom parts specific to the coyote Build.

Other than buying all new parts, I wanted to put a list together of other parts options that would work as well.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I spoke with the Ford Tech line this morning about the Coyote Engine Harness and Control Packs.

I think I got the info on Post #1 correct.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Some parts details updates in post #1 with additional Ford and others experience.

Nickm1024cobra

Loc.
Chicago Burbs
Im starting this week.

Initial plan is 2012 f150 motor and 6r80. Mustang 6r80 harness. Power by the hour pcm and wire harness to control both motor and trans. Got my own headers and front drive from unsaid vendor. Will be mocking up this weekend and will have some pics. I did a coyote swap in a mustang. This will be my 2nd swap and 2nd bronco. First bronco swap.

American180

Loc.
Mount Washington, Ky
Great post rguest3. I'm on the hunt for a bronco and want to do this swap. For others wanting to do this and have a 6 cylinder frame, you have to weld on the V8 engine mounts first to use the BC Bronco engine mounts.

American180

Loc.
Mount Washington, Ky
Im starting this week.

Initial plan is 2012 f150 motor and 6r80.

Thanks for the info on Power by the Hour. I'm contemplating this route as well. The F150 coyote is more affordable. In stock form, they might not make the same horsepower but the torque is tuned better for truck duties. The 6R80 is a great transmission. For me adding that transmission is as important as adding the coyote.

STalon89

Youve hit on maybe 25% on what you'll need to address to do this swap. I am currently almost finished with my coyote build, and there's a ton of unexpected changes that need to be made.
You need to consider gearing with the 6r80. You wont be able to run your stock 3.50's, so get ready to rebuild your front and rear end. You'll need to modify drive shafts, because the lengths will be different. New shifter for the 6r80. Theres a reason all the guys building these are using the 4R70W, and I almost wished I went that route. But it will be worth it.

Plan on changing your steering box to a 4 turn. Why spend all that money and have shitty steering. Id address your brakes, for obvious reasons. Youll need to think about your steering column, brake pedal cluster, Tcase shifter linkage mounting, passenger inner fender will need to be modified.
This is a quick list. This build is not for the faint of heart, get ready to for some work. But end result will be glorious.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nickm1024cobra - Perfect, f150 Coyote install info will need to be added as well. Any updates from mock-up?

STalon89 - There are a lot of issues to overcome with engine and transmission swaps. You are correct the Coyote is a W I D E motor. First I have heard that passenger side inner fender will have to me modified.

Any other additional parts specific to the Coyote install will be added to post #1.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
F150 Coyotes are readily available as well. And at a lower price. Will a 2015-2017 F150 motor work with a 2015-2017 Mustang manual harness and Control Pack? Assuming you are not going with the 6R80.

Any additional info helps.