• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tire Carrier Mounts

fosgate150

So I was mounting the tire carrier mounts and it just killed me to have metal on metal, fresh paint on fresh paint. I took some of the fender flare welting and put it along the side and across the top edge (it is one piece with relief cuts for the corners). Its kinda hard to see in this picture...

Has anyone else thought of something else? rubber, tape, sealant...

Attachments

• tire mount.JPG
    tire mount.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 200

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Ive thought bout it and man that looks good. Mow put some stainless button head allen key or star bolts in there to tol it off

kip60

I like the idea of allen head bolts instead of having large heads sitting there. The paint kind of conceals these tho...

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Looks good. Years ago when I had my stock Carrier on my 67, I put a thin foam between the carrier and body. It did a good job of protecting the paint. Years later I removed the stock carrier when I built my own bumper to hold a 35" spare, paint cleaned up good. I don't think I could put metal on metal!

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
clear helicopter/paint protection tape on the inside of the mount

Rickb1b

Looks good. I’ll probably do the same thing. I like the idea of stainless steel Allen head bolts.

OP
OP
fosgate150

fosgate150

stainless..

Ive thought bout it and man that looks good. Mow put some stainless button head allen key or star bolts in there to tol it off

Ok, I put some stainless button head allen bolts in to see what it would look like... What do yaw think?

Attachments

• IMG_4313.jpg
    IMG_4313.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 80

Gweiner

Loc.
Charlotte
Looks great! Not to hijack this thread but has anyone figured out a way to reinforce the factory tire carrier to hold larger tires? I read on here that the added weight is bad for the rear quarter panel. I would like to keep mine stock with a 31 or 33" tire and not do any damage driving off-road with the stock carrier.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Prolly wouldnt be too hard to build an arm out of sqare tube that comes off the rrame and goes up into the tail light housing and has the spare bolt to it. But then you woukd need the connection to the frame to have a poly bushing in it or something to allow for body/frame flex