• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2" Roll Bar (Family cage) fitment under hard top?

Local Boy

Loc.
Mililani, Hawaii
Hi Everyone,

Hope the Holidays are going well for everyone...

This is for a early Bronco...

I have a customer that wants a 2" roll bar (family cage) that fits under the hard top...

I've done 1 3/4 tubing (without hard top), but not 2" tubing (under a hard top). I'm thinking its going to take up too much space for it to fit nicely...

Any and all thoughts and/or advise would be much appreciated...

Thanks for your time...

Happy Holidays!

Aloha!

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Bailie Bilt fits nice in 2" under a hard top with a headliner. Installed one for KSM here on the board it fits her stock bronco nice. I'm 5'11 and didn't find it in the way at all. Was going to say just order one till I saw you were in Hawaii, can't imagine what freight would be, Gordon would ship it though if you wanted it.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I have never built one from 2" but I doubt the extra 1/4" would make a lot of difference. The wing window and maybe the window regulator handle might be tight, the overhead should be fine.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I built mine for a hardtop out of 2".

It's only 1/8" radius different if you have the same radius die.

If you want to convince this customer that inch and three-quarter is a better way to go then just mention to him that 90% of the accessories for a clamp on brackets for phones, jacks, mirrors, and all the other crap that we strap to roll cage is out of inch and three-quarter's or inch and 1/2!!! That should help get him to change his mind ;)

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bailie Bilt, Protofab, and Broncobob all use 2 inch. Protofab and Broncobob sell theirs as a kit for you to weld which should reduce your shipping costs. I don't know if Gordon at Bailie does but I feel his cages are a better design (Full disclosure, I'm ordering one next month for my build.) All of them have lots of owners with hard tops and they've been around for a long time fine tuning their products for fit. I don't think you could make your own cage for what Broncobob charges if you've never done a Bronco before.

http://broncobumpersandcages.com/store/results.asp?Category=Classic+Bronco&Subcategory=Cages

http://www.protofab4x4.com/products.php?ID=00&ID2=45

http://broncobob.com/

OP
OP
Local Boy

Local Boy

Loc.
Mililani, Hawaii
Thanks guys for the great advise and information...very helpful indeed!

Will be building it from scratch... Once I finished building mine...the orders started coming in fast... ;D

Thanks nvrstuk...never thought of that aspect...

From the building standpoint...makes no difference if he wants 2" or 1 3/4" for me...just wanted to be sure it will look and fit nicely before I start measuring out and bending up 2" DOM tubing...

Thanks again!

Happy Holidays!!!

Aloha

Broncobowsher

Total hack
A selling point for smaller tube, better visibility. Not having to look around the tube.

Something I did on my last cage was to make it asymmetrical. Shifted the A-pillar tubes around a little so from the driver's seat they lined up with the windshield. Really helped visibility while driving. From the passenger seat it was the traditional obscured view with a cage, but the passenger isn't the one driving. You never noticed unless you looked for it. It's something I think too many cage builders overlook. More concerned with being symmetrical and clearing irrelevant trinkets in the cab.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What about making the overhead and rear sections from 2" tubing and the front windshield cage from the 1.75 inch? While I like to use same-size tubing all around, I've seen this combo and it didn't look bad at all.
The smaller tubing will allow easier access to the window cranks, the parking brake, any dash controls on the left (gas gauge, throttle, choke if applicable) and basically just generally stay out of the driver's way better.

If they want it to all be one size, I'd say the 1.75 would be the ticket.
If I was building another one I'd go with 2" slightly crowned in the center (like Stroppe bars) double-hoop main bars with sand plates over the front seats with long horizontal kickers that clear the rear side windows for better vision. Maybe in a family style rather than the kickers, but I like the look.
And then 1.75 for the front through-the-dash cage tucked up nice and tight.

Paul

OP
OP
Local Boy

Local Boy

Loc.
Mililani, Hawaii
Thanks guys!

I really like one off pieces, and both your comments touch upon these concepts...AWESOME!

Broncobowsher - Funny you mentioned how your dr. side A-pillar kind of "leans" out ...to fall in-line with the windshield brace... That's how I build mine! I have not seen any others that take the time to do that... I work hard to have the A-pillar "hug" the dash and windshield frame with the same angles, so that its looks like it would be flush with the dash and windshield if I moved it forward... I'm working to perfect my angles to have both sides the same... I really think it adds dimension and looks beautiful...

Paul - I like your style... I always make it a point to read your comments...no matter the topic...as it always contains information that helps us all with our passion BRONCOS! Your expansive knowledge allows you the freedom to think outside the box... NICE! :cool: I was toying with the idea of two different size tubing, but just could not see ( in my limited mind) how that would turn out... As you well know...building cages is not a hit or miss proposition... Interestingly, my build plan for this build does have some of your suggestions...

I'm much more confident tackling this 2" build....Because of all the suggestions and information guys were kind enough to offer in this thread.

Thank you very much guys!

I remain very grateful...

Happy Holidays!

Aloha

BTW: Stay tuned!
I'll be coming out with the 1976/2018 Xcon BR#1
Icon's are prim and proper (College types)...the type you take home to mom.
This Xcon is the one your mother warned you about (The one that went to prison and came out pissed-off!) Bwahahaha:eek:
Until then... Take Care...