• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Digital CD Ignition Box question

landshark99

Bronco Guru
I am prepping for the Baja Mexico adventure in the Bronco and slowly acquiring spare parts, among those that I want to carry is a spare Digital CD Ignition Box and coil. I currently run a Mallory Hyfire 6a Digital CD Ignition Box and a Mallory coil (see photos).

I don't really want to purchase new if i don't have to as I have no real use for them (hopefully) long term. Can i pick up any Digital CD Ignition Box and make it work if I am in a jam? I am not that knowledge on these items - i understand what they do however with my setup there are a few items that are proprietary to Holley and others which are agnostic. Looks like a used one will be in the $150 range and New ones (the few i have found) are north of $150...

I am currently running a Holley Commander 950 computer MPFI setup with a Mallory distributor mounted TFI module.

Thanks

IMG_3780.jpg

IMG_3778.jpg

IMG_3777.jpg

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
The Baja racers used to have a double ignition set up so if one died they could switch over to the other.
I recall back in the 80's you would see two MSD boxes. For awhile I thought they needed two for some reason.
But its an entirely wired in back up system.
Smart for the time. You could do something like that,

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Bronco Guru
The Baja racers used to have a double ignition set up so if one died they could switch over to the other.
I recall back in the 80's you would see two MSD boxes. For awhile I thought they needed two for some reason.
But its an entirely wired in back up system.
Smart for the time. You could do something like that,

I would probably do something like that if i was racing but this is just a off road adventure and not on any strict timeline - so backups would be ok ;)

I was hoping to borrow or buy used rather than buy but i see Summit Racing has a pretty good return policy so I might buy what i need and return if not used. my thinking was it would be allot easier to replace with the same model, but looking at other options or things i haven't thought of.

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I see a TFI module. That means the CD box is extra. If wired correctly you can run without it. Fire the coil off the TFI module. If you are planning on running on a budget I would look over the wiring carefully and set it up so you could disconnect the CD box and run just off the TFI. I'm thinking a nice set of weatherpack connectors. Set it up right and you can have a second coil just waiting for you as well. Unplug the CD box and plug in the spare coil. Keep a spare coil lead on it kept clean with a spark plug welded tot he cage and the wire on the plug until needed. That way if you lost either the Mallory coil or CD box you just need to swap a weatherpack and coil wire and you are running a complete different ignition system. That would be the low cost, high redundancy, rapid field fix setup. All non-bolt on parts bypassed inside of 20 seconds, the hood pins will take longer.

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Bronco Guru
I see a TFI module. That means the CD box is extra. If wired correctly you can run without it. Fire the coil off the TFI module. If you are planning on running on a budget I would look over the wiring carefully and set it up so you could disconnect the CD box and run just off the TFI. I'm thinking a nice set of weatherpack connectors. Set it up right and you can have a second coil just waiting for you as well. Unplug the CD box and plug in the spare coil. Keep a spare coil lead on it kept clean with a spark plug welded tot he cage and the wire on the plug until needed. That way if you lost either the Mallory coil or CD box you just need to swap a weatherpack and coil wire and you are running a complete different ignition system. That would be the low cost, high redundancy, rapid field fix setup. All non-bolt on parts bypassed inside of 20 seconds, the hood pins will take longer.

I am indeed running a tfi module. Great info, I will look into it. I already have an extra TFI and coil on the way so one less purchase would be stellar.

59fd1f805a8bdf5d6fc0d256a457acda.jpg