• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock 3 spd column to 4r70w

destroyer000

Has any one thought about trying to use the factory 3 spd column to shift a 4r70w? I would assume the only difference between an auto column would be the indicator, and shift gate? Iam trying to hook mine up with out shelling the the big $$ for the Ididit set up u less I absolutely have to. I did think about a floor shifter as well, not sire how it would look anyone have any pictures of there set up?

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
The column for an A/T has several different parts to accommodate the PRNDL2L1 pattern that are completely different than the 3 speed column. There are no parts that are shared between the two different columns.

For example the A/T column has a shift tube with a single arm for adjusting the transmission gear. The 3 speed has two arms and different mechanism to make them work.
It took me a few months to find a column when I converted 3 spd to 4R70W.

luke

You could do a lokar floor shifter for less than $300. Just did it on my 66 f100 4x4. Looks great!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I've seen a hack install done that way on a C4. Used the 2-3 shift arm to the transmission. Count the clicks. No shift gate. Could be bumped into any gear at any time. Very unsafe in so many different ways. That detent plate (the part that makes you have to pull the shifter toward you) is really needed. and no real way to put one in a 3-speed column.

Find the right column or go floor shift.

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
Many years ago I hooked a 3spd column shift in a 73 Comet to a 3spd auto tranny behind a 302. I was 20, impoverished, and a little whacked, like most 20 year olds in the 70s.Worked, but, ya gotta guess at which gear you're in and once, while idling and standing outside the car talking to a girl, the shift lever wiggled into reverse and I had to run after the car.

Moral of the story--don't do it!!:-[

If money's the problem, it would probably be better to find an auto column at the pick n pull and make that work. At least you have to pull toward you to get it out of park.

KeithKinPhx

Doing this exact conversion right now.

Old column is on the side of the garage, new Idit column is in it's box next to the Bronco. At least you get a new steering wheel too.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
FYI..if you are mildly handy there are some junk yard options. I think any 70's era pickup or van with a C4 will work. I took one from a 79 van. I had to grind off the welds for the mounting bracket on each and swap the Bronco part to the van. Modified the wires and voila stuff working.

Then the shift rod that goes down to the transmission I had to shorten. Then I cut and re-welded the transmission bracket. Both of these to make the 4R70W work.

labuski

FYI..if you are mildly handy there are some junk yard options. I think any 70's era pickup or van with a C4 will work. I took one from a 79 van. I had to grind off the welds for the mounting bracket on each and swap the Bronco part to the van. Modified the wires and voila stuff working.

Then the shift rod that goes down to the transmission I had to shorten. Then I cut and re-welded the transmission bracket. Both of these to make the 4R70W work.

i wish you would have taken pics :(