• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

WHich rear seat should I get?

martaylo

Just got a U15 that someone converted to a half cab and I'm converting it back so I need a back seat. There are lots of options from original rear seats to cheap replacements to really nice replacements that are fairly expensive.

My personal preference leans toward an original because the rest of the truck is original and I want it to match, but since I'm new to the bronco world I figured I'd ask the experts.

Are there any suggestions on what to get, or not to get, outside of just personal preference? I'll never sit in the back seat, but I don't want my kids to be unsafe or so uncomfortable that they hate riding in it. They seem to be ok with the $250 back seat I put in my Jeep, so it may not even be an issue, but I wanted to check before I buy something I shouldn't have.

Last edited:

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Those fold and tumble seats sold by the vendors here on the page are pretty nice.

Appears to be two different basic styles. One is wider and seems more comfortable.

Check
WH
TBP
JBG

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
You might do some checking and measuring, some people have used some of the Jeep back seats in their Broncos.
If your kids find one comfortable why not stick with that?

OP
OP
M

martaylo

You might do some checking and measuring, some people have used some of the Jeep back seats in their Broncos.
If your kids find one comfortable why not stick with that?

Just looking for some personal input from folks with different seats I guess. The fold and tumble from TBP that I'm looking at is around $400. recovered original back seats go for about that much on ebay. There are some other options out there that don't really match, but may be nicer or more comfortable, I just don't know.

My Jeep back seat is fine for the Jeep, but the Jeep is a beater and it's mostly used for driving around on the ranch where the seat doesn't matter much or on 5 minute runs to the convenience store where there's not enough time to get uncomfortable. The Bronco will be more of a daily driver and the kids will be sitting back there for longer periods.

I'm probably over thinking it, but it never hurts to ask.

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
The Jeep seat is a nice fit. My kids have no complaints. Bonus points for fold and tumble. Here’s some pics of my install.

http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226788&

trailmax-fold-tumble.jpg

OP
OP
M

martaylo

Looks like that's what I'm going with. Don't have the fold and tumble in the Jeep, but I'm putting one in the Bronco. Being able to keep that cargo space when the kids aren't with me will be really nice.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Those fold and tumble seats sold by the vendors here on the page are pretty nice.

Appears to be two different basic styles. One is wider and seems more comfortable.

Check
WH
TBP
JBG

X2... Good option for ya w/the kids

Stick to original would be alright too

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I have the TBP fold and tumble. Not wild about the material but it's a good fit.

OP
OP
M

martaylo

I have the TBP fold and tumble. Not wild about the material but it's a good fit.

That's the one I ordered. The material looked nicer than the bestop seats, but I'll lower my expectations. So long as it works the way it should, doesn't look like crap and fits both kids I'll be happy.

KeithKinPhx

Fill follow this post. Been struggling with the same issue. I like the idea of fold and tumble but none match your front seats unless you get the TBP full set. Unfortunately I don't like the fabric (as others have mentioned) and I really wanted leather. Really really wanted leather.

I bought the brown leather seats out of a 2011 Mustang from a salvage yard which look good up front but I need to find a rear seat or a way to heavily modify the mustang back seat to work.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If I had kids riding regularly I would want a seat with head rests, maybe 3 point belts and definitely some hand holds for them. Some thing like the old Subaru Brat rear seat.
I don't like the kids flapping around back there even though we all survived it. They would have a roll cage over their head so you don't want them flailing about smacking into a roll cage.

dedgar

I had the Besttop fold and tumble for a years and this year went with TBP parchment version as it matches the fronts very nicely. It's a little more cushion then the Besttop but it's softer fabric than the original style. But they match and I love that.

OP
OP
M

martaylo

If I had kids riding regularly I would want a seat with head rests, maybe 3 point belts and definitely some hand holds for them. Some thing like the old Subaru Brat rear seat.
I don't like the kids flapping around back there even though we all survived it. They would have a roll cage over their head so you don't want them flailing about smacking into a roll cage.

I'll be doing some light off-roading every now and then, but this is mostly a daily driver. Definitely not a crawler. I take the kids to school and pick them up a few days a week, plus sports on weekends and day trips during the summer. Not too worried about them flapping around or hitting their head unless there is an accident.

Too late to change my mind at this point anyway. Hopefully this seat gives me several good years. I did consider 3 point belts, but I may be replacing the roll bar. Don't know for sure, or when i'll get around to it, so just regular ol lap belts for now.