• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How would you repair this

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
OK I'M GOING TO ask this question here & then again on the parts wanted section . I'll work it slightly different there.
... OK Yesterday a Man came to look at my Red 68 Project .. He seemed to be really scared of doing this repair. Well I ''ain't skeered'' .. I was planning to cut out the bend & Replace the door jam. Weld back in place & Body Filler, Smooth, & Prime ..
I realize most of you may say to replace the entire fender. But this Project is such a solid body, no rust. I think replacing the fender side panel will just create more alignment issues.
.... Pictures to come I hope.

Attachments

• DSCN6768.jpg
    DSCN6768.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 262
  • DSCN6769.jpg
    DSCN6769.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 244
  • DSCN6770.jpg
    DSCN6770.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 239
  • DSCN6771.jpg
    DSCN6771.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
OK 1ST 3 pictures are the one I ask the question about .
4th Picture is the driver side front fender . I think it can be popped out. with heat & bfh..
.. But the 1st 3 pictures . The metal is good & solid . I think cut out a small portion of it & Maybe even peck some of the bend out &weld in new section .
... Give me your thoughts .. & Your pictures will be find ... In fact I believe pictures of your similar repairs will be helpful.
... & Newby's there are no Dumb question .. You too feel free to ask.
This could be a thread to help several more beside me make this repair.
Nail It!!

NC_Pinz

Why not replace the fender and the jamb? It seems it might be less work, but if you dead set, go for it.

West Tn Dawg

BULLDOG
Loc.
Kenton
My question is.............
What are you hiding behind that cardboard? Seems you made a real effort to keep it out of the picture! ;^)

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I’m curious about what is stashed behind that cardboard too. And I can’t see where you even tried to buff those dents out........

1969 Bronco

Loc.
west TX
easy

You can just take it to the west about an hour and forget about fixing those dents. It's OK, you can thank me later! ;D

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If you dont care about labor. Then if it was mine I would use a spot weld cutter and seperate the weld between the side panel and the door jamb. Now both pieces will move independently and move where you want them to go. You will need to cut some lumber to wedge from behind and push metal out and hammer where you need it to go. Then you can hammer from the outside to put the creases back in place while you have the metal wedged up from behind. Once you get the metal roughed in then you can reweld the spotweld holes.

The fender,
Shape a piece of 2x4 to the shape of the fender. Make it long enough to be close to the floor and put a floor jack under the board and jack up slowly. That will gently push it back to shape.

You will have to use good body shop pratices to push up the low spots and hammer down the high spots to get the metal back in place.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Dang RustyTruck you been visiting my farm & watching me work.
Both of those are how I've considered fixing these 2 dents.
Especially the fender. I've thought of putting shaped 2bys in the very top of the fender . Then maybe even a 4x4 upright & the floor jack under them..
Heat from torch or RoseBud & Several different hammer sizes Pecking & Dinging & Pinging. I've always felt it'll come out with out much trouble.
.... Now that big dent at the door. I'm not sure it can be hammered out . I really think It'll need to be chained down & Pulled & Lots of heat.
That's why I'm wanting to explore just replacing the Door Jam.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
West'nDawg Cardboard is due to in the past more of my post questions are covered up from getting Ribbed at how nasty my shop stays.
I cleaned it up about 3 winters ago .. I spent a full 2 months . & it's dirtier now than ever.

West Tn Dawg

BULLDOG
Loc.
Kenton
West'nDawg Cardboard is due to in the past more of my post questions are covered up from getting Ribbed at how nasty my shop stays.
I cleaned it up about 3 winters ago .. I spent a full 2 months . & it's dirtier now than ever.

LOL!
We all suffer with this!;D

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Heat on sheetmetal is really bad. It leads to stretching, warping and distortion. All of this is bad as once stretched it doesnt go back.

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri

At least you tried to cover up the shop mess for us. lol No worries it happens to us all, well at least to me for sure. I like your honesty about it too, a lot of people never see what is in the back ground of a pic they post.

Pull the fender work it over, as far as that other dent work it over best ya can without misshaping anything else.

If it not to your liking cut out the bad, replace.

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
Paw if that was me i'd find all the spot welds on the lower 1/4 panel and drill them all out. The lower part can be drilled out inside the fender just in front of the tire. Get it loose and it'll pull out at the bottom and make room to repair the door post.
I think that entire thing could be repaired with lots of body dolly time.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Bill WyFlyer... I KIND have thought about giving it a whipping before I Started REPLACING stuff.
..Ford Bronc I guess your thought was about the same. Whip on it & see what I can get pulled out . & Replace if I CAN'T PULL enough out.
KEEP THE THOUGHTS COMING .

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Never clean your shop otherwise you just loose space and costs you more money.

You put in boxes and shelves and fill that space then you go getting more stuff and not putting it away just like before. Now you have twice the stuff and half the space.

Do this too many times and you have real problems. Now you do this enough it becomes much easier to buy new stuff in stead of attempting to dig in all those boxes looking for the stuff you put in a safe place.

So once it all gets piled up around the Bronco and your extra space is full, there is no place to push it out of the way to work on your Bronco. The chore just gets too big just to restart a project again. Avoid it enough you blow the whole spring and summer waiting for just the right time. Winter comes again and your done for the year.

toddsrods

OK 1ST 3 pictures are the one I ask the question about .
4th Picture is the driver side front fender . I think it can be popped out. with heat & bfh..
.. But the 1st 3 pictures . The metal is good & solid . I think cut out a small portion of it & Maybe even peck some of the bend out &weld in new section .
... Give me your thoughts .. & Your pictures will be find ... In fact I believe pictures of your similar repairs will be helpful.
... & Newby's there are no Dumb question .. You too feel free to ask.
This could be a thread to help several more beside me make this repair.
Nail It!!

With the door post out i'm betting that you could move that quarter around to a usable state. Give it a whirl. The worst thing that could happen if it doesn't iron out is you spend some time in the shop and drink a couple of beers.

rmk57

I would rent a porta power. Placed in between the door posts and push the damaged one back in. Apply some heat and it should go back to original easily. As your pushing the door post back in the dent in the quarter panel will want to spring back out on it's own.