• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Squeaks in Reverse

Borinqua Bronco

Hello all,

I was leaving for work yesterday and heard a new and expensive sounding noise. When backing up i hear a 1:1 squeak coming from below the Bronco. Looking at the drive line i noticed a leak coming from the connection of the rear axle to the back of the center differential. A very trusting friend of mine allowed me to drive over him in reverse (slowly) and he told me it appeared that the squeak was coming from this same area. Again it is only making the noise in reverse. My question is, in addition to repairing the leak how screwed am i? What are your thoughts?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Assuming it's not the brakes, and it still sounds like it's coming from the rear end, I would first check the driveshaft (or just remove it and drive in 4WD to see if it goes away). It could be the u-joint, or something in the pinion or differential. If not that, then I would check the axle bearings next. After that, then I would tend to question my assumptions and start over.

Most of my EB problems aren't that expensive at face value...but it's the overly elaborate solutions that end up costing me the money.

triracer67

Contributor
You have a great, and trusting friend! Maybe put on jack stands, that will allow you to turn off motor, and manually rotate tires from below.

Unhook the drive shaft and roll it.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I'm not sure what you mean by the leak where the axle tube connects to the back of the rear diff. The 9 inch Ford is a one piece housing, and the diff bolts in from the front. If you have a replacement rear end with a back cover plate you have welded in axle tubes. Clean and check the leaking area because it may be cracked. If you become a contributor you can post a picture of the axle. Good luck

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The old 9" housings were known to leak at some of the welded seams. Haven't seen an instance of that in a long time because most leaked pretty early in their lives and were fixed. But it doesn't mean it can't happen this late in life.

But yeah, pics to make sure. I'm glad Ron caught that because I automatically read "driveshaft to rear end" which means to me the pinion seal was leaking.
Re-reading it I can tell it's getting late!

Thanks Ron!

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Assuming it's not the brakes, and it still sounds like it's coming from the rear end, I would first check the driveshaft (or just remove it and drive in 4WD to see if it goes away). It could be the u-joint, or something in the pinion or differential. If not that, then I would check the axle bearings next. After that, then I would tend to question my assumptions and start over.

Most of my EB problems aren't that expensive at face value...but it's the overly elaborate solutions that end up costing me the money.

This..... ^^^^