• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Oversized/cut rear wheel opening

grinnergetter

When I got my Bronc I noticed the body line at the rear seemed odd. Mine appears to have had the rear wheel well opening repaired at some point using a front fender.

No big deal as it seems this was a common thing to do but how much extra tire does that mod allow?

Something to consider or just stay with whatever fits a uncut?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
It will take a bigger tire than an uncut.
How much bigger depends on whether it is lifted and if it is how much it is lifted.

I have long thought that is the way Ford should have built them in the first place.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Because there is so much potential variation on how it's done, the best fit guide will be through trial-and-error.

Got any pics of this setup?

Thanks

Paul

OP
OP
G

grinnergetter

Bronc gained an inch from all new suspension and added another inch with new body lift. Due to e brake line issues with vendor it wont be back on the ground for a week or two but I'll post a pic when it is.

Thanks for responses, I know there are endless tire questions.

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
If you go to a 4x4 club rally in your area, or better yet a bronco round up, comparing tire sizes might be a great activity for an hour. Might find one that is brought as a spare to try on and see how it looks, measure clearances, bounce the bronco a bit. If you know your bronco's suspension tolerances, i.e., max compression and extension ahead of time, you could measure off of that. Keep in mind that back spacing, rim size, etc come into play as well. Nothing like having it right there to compare.
Good luck,
Forrest :cool:

OP
OP
G

grinnergetter

Back again, I now have 7" between old tires and top of wheelwell. Currently running LT235/85R16. Tread width is approx 7.5. I have 3.0 inches between edge of tire and inside lip of rear wheelwell. I believe current wheels are 16x8.

I have looked until my eyeballs hurt at different tire wheel combos and scenarios. I'm ashamed to even bring up a wheel question. LOL

So, current tires are about 31" tall and where I'm having issues is :

I'd prefer a stock style wheel in a 15-16 but it is freakin amazing how many companies have a bad rep for one reason or another. Choosing one seems like a roll of the dice and I think I might be better off at the JY.

Have a better wheel idea or suggestion?

Think a 10" wide tire will fit? How wide should I go?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Still no way to tell. A 10" wide tire will fit a stock, un-lifted and uncut Bronco, so there's no reason to think it won't fit yours.

There's no way your current tire, at roughly 7.5" wide should be on an 8" wide wheel. That's just not a good combination. A 5.5 to 6 inch wide wheel is more appropriate, with probably 7" being the maximum recommendation for that size tire.
A quick trip to a tire maker's website like BFG or similar, should let you know what wheel widths are correct for a 235.

What kind of bad reputations are you hearing? I've not heard much, but have not bought too many stock-ish wheels either. My 15x7's are Wheel Vintiques purchased through Summit.

Forget waiting for it to be back on the ground. Shoot a couple of teaser shots for us at least! This way we an at least study the openings, if not the full package yet.

Paul

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I've seen that front fender to rear mod done real nice so it looks stock. It's an option for a guy who wants more clearance but dont want to run flares. Some of the fiberglass tubs also come with the larger rear opening.

OP
OP
G

grinnergetter

I should have not mentioned the 7" part. I had been measuring the actual tread width to compare against other tires. Wheel size is 16x8 for sure.

I have 3.0 from front of tire to opening. 5.0 in the rear.

Attachments

• IMG_5156.jpg
    IMG_5156.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5157.jpg
    IMG_5157.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5158.jpg
    IMG_5158.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
G

grinnergetter

WV seems to not be a good wheel choice per research on that internet thingy. If you start looking specifically at steel wheels that seems to common problem with quality. Not just with that company I admit.

OP
OP
G

grinnergetter

Last time....I purchased a 15" steel wheel and a km3 31x10.5x15. All seems good other than calipers. I know this is stupid but I have around .250 between caliper and rim. A little tight but clears fine.

GTG? Nothing else to consider?

OP
OP
G

grinnergetter

Attachments

• IMG_5194.jpg
    IMG_5194.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 25

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Some wheels have even less. A quarter inch is fine as long as someone does not try to put wheel weights in that space where they would rub on the caliper.
Never measured my clearances, but never had an issue. One setup I was installing on a friend's Bronco actually had the bracket hit the wheel. A little persuasion on the bracket and all was good.

Paul