• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Third times a charm v3.0

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you planning to put something on the outside of the top tube where the red strap is located? I picture this getting chewed up when the frame is dropped to the ground.

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Are you planning to put something on the outside of the top tube where the red strap is located? I picture this getting chewed up when the frame is dropped to the ground.

Agreed!

This is where I’m at now. I have some paper templets where I will be adding aluminum plate with some dimples. The large area in the middle on the bottom will have an aluminum plate in there and will also have the license plate, license plate light and recessed backup light.

Looking good sir. How are you planning on running it with the top? Also, just a thought I had seen a similar spare tire carrier and the owner complained about how heavy it was lifting up and down when the tailgate is open or when you have to lower the tire.

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru

I don't plan to have it drop to the ground. I would like it to drop down to be parallel with the ground so I will be adding a stop in there somewhere.

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Looking good sir. How are you planning on running it with the top? Also, just a thought I had seen a similar spare tire carrier and the owner complained about how heavy it was lifting up and down when the tailgate is open or when you have to lower the tire.

Thanks! I don't plan to put a top back on this. I am skinning the top of the cage with aluminum and might run a soft top in the future if I feel like I need it. The carrier will be mounted to the back of the cage with bushings.

This design is a tradeoff for sure. For my needs, I think the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. I was thinking I could add some struts to it or something similar to assist with the lifting, but haven't got to the point of figuring that out yet.

That's the plan right now.

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Thanks! I don't plan to put a top back on this. I am skinning the top of the cage with aluminum and might run a soft top in the future if I feel like I need it. The carrier will be mounted to the back of the cage with bushings.

This design is a tradeoff for sure. For my needs, I think the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. I was thinking I could add some struts to it or something similar to assist with the lifting, but haven't got to the point of figuring that out yet.

That's the plan right now.
Great plan for sure. I like where your going with it

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
Will filling metal in the tire rack obstruct your view? The passenger side spare on my protofab sure does.

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Will filling metal in the tire rack obstruct your view? The passenger side spare on my protofab sure does.

The tire obstructs my view ;D Not much I can do about that.
0RCuMgg.jpg

otmGZI2.jpg

No Hay

Bronco Guru
Thanks! I'm hoping to have some finish pics soon.

I wish you would finish it, enjoy it, get too busy to enjoy it, decide to sell it, so I could have a snowball's chance to get to bid on it ;D

Nice work Jaromy!

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
I wish you would finish it, enjoy it, get too busy to enjoy it, decide to sell it, so I could have a snowball's chance to get to bid on it ;D

Nice work Jaromy!

;D;D;D I still have a few years to go on the build. After I get done with the drivetrain, I will start on the bodywork. When the bodywork is done, I will probably start over on the drivetrain ;D

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
;D;D;D I still have a few years to go on the build. After I get done with the drivetrain, I will start on the bodywork. When the bodywork is done, I will probably start over on the drivetrain ;D

If you get board there's a yellow one I could ship you for a few months....;D

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I still remember that Bronco before Jaromy started molesting it. Didn't you drive down to Roseburg to get it J? You've come a long ways with it Bro (and your family too!). :cool:

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
I still remember that Bronco before Jaromy started molesting it. Didn't you drive down to Roseburg to get it J? You've come a long ways with it Bro (and your family too!). :cool:

Yep, I bought it in Roseburg. A lot has changed in 8 years ;)

Hmmmmm Moab is about 1/2 way.......;D

I'm ready for a Moab trip ;D Are you going to Trail Hero in October?

No Hay

Bronco Guru

Yep, me too. It sure is turning out nice!

Attachments

• dml7.jpg
    dml7.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 59
  • DML 2015.jpg
    DML 2015.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 56