• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Why are Broncos so expensive?

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
Deals are still out there. 2 years ago bought a frame off project that was in pieces for $2500 with parts galore. Then last year I picked up an all fiberglass 68 for $5k. I have around $10k into it and I get in and go whenever I want. This year came across a 72 frame off project that has all the good stuff 351, duffs lift, modular 4.11 rear, rust free body, 1/2 cab tub and bulkhead. Also more parts than i need. Needs finished but paid $8k which was more than I wanted but well worth it. Enjoying the hobby and will probably never sell.
They're still out there if you keep your eyes open.

Parts/projects will always be that way though.
It's the running rust buckets that have shot up in value.

It's a mixture of space, knowledge, and money. I have the last two; so I was limited in that my Bronco would need to serve as emergency third vehicle while searching. I had to have something road worthy and running. And I'm glad/lucky that I didn't pull the trigger on a parts truck as about a month after buying mine my family transportation situation changed and it was immediately forced into daily driver duty.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
.. WOW I got a lot of PM's about my Bronco . I'll try & answer them ..
But Tuesday was a tough day . AFTER A FUNERL In the morning . A flat on side of road in a work van.& Then my wife & I had to drive to see a friend in the hospital in Ft Work .Got home about 10:45. Dang I'm tired this morning .
See what today brings .

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... OK SLOW Down Pa Pitt .. I love that. I really did.. But today was no better.
Most of you have seen my Son Kenny''49'' has cancer. He's into his CHEMOS.
wE WENT TO FT Worth last night because the other Nurse that works with my Wife .. She & The DR. HAVE BEEN TOGETHER for 53 years. My WIFE GOT Her 31 year pin today.
My wife & I had gone to Ft Worth last night because the older Nurse had surgery to remove her Colostomy bad Monday .. But they did 6 more hours of surgery . & She's in the Hospital for about another 2 weeks. That old Nurse is old school & she ain't liking this. She was still working .. But she told the wife that she's not coming back this time.
... SO After all that we got home about 10:30 pm last night.
.. 7AM We get a phone call. Wife brother is 16 years older than she is.. He's had a wreck in Ft Worth going to drink coffee with his old Buddys .. Those Buddys that he used to drink beer with as a younger man .Until about 11pm each night.
He got to drinking beer after work . At a local beer joint not far from his house.
.. Of all people he drank beer with .. one was Bill Mack the Midnight cowboy ..DJ.
ANOTHER one was Dick Siegel..another DJ. & Some more Red Neck TYPE Truckers.
.. SO He was in ICU.. But is supposed to be out tomorrow . His Son from NASHVILLE Will be there tomorrow & He can handle Brother..

... So When I catch up I'll try & get some pictures for those who ask. & Post them.
.. And on top of all that Some how my Ankle seems to be sprang .. Man I can barely walk. Thank God I had a light day today. & It came another small flood for half the day today.

OP
OP
B

broncochevy

Loc.
Orcutt, CA
Sorry to hear about your luck Pa PITT, I will be thinking about you. May your luck turn around for you and your family.

Uncut1970

In 2003, my dad and I purchased my "dream car" - for $3,500. I had pictures of EBs cut out and GLUED to my ceiling and walls - I was an obsessed fifteen year old. It was a running, driving, slightly modified 1969, old Ford blue in color. It had a 351w and power steering... but that was it for "upgrades". The body lift was literally 4x4 blocks with hanger wire. My dad and I spent the following year fixing it up; fixed the body lift, added a roll cage, replaced the suspension, added seat belts, replaced spark-plug wires, rebuilt the carb, etc... When I turned 16 I drove that thing to highschool and shortly after started dating the girl of my adolescent "dreams". Shortly thereafter, my girlfriend's mother called my mom and informed her that her daughter wasnt allowed to ride in my "jeep thing" because it didnt have airbags.... up to that point, my mom had never even considered the fact it did not have airbags - she was just happy to see me so happy... So I like to think it was very hard for her when she told me the following day that I needed to sell it (for my safety). I regretfully agreed to follow her commands and let it go for $5,500 to a guy in Northeast Georgia about 2005 - but I vowed I would own another one some day.

In April 2017, 12-13 years after selling my first, I paid $8,500 for a rust-bucket that hadnt been cranked/driven in 10+ years - talk about kicking yourself for selling the first!! Since April 2017, I have been building this Bronco. Everyone told me before embarking on this rebuild journey; "buy one already fixed up" and "double the budget and the timeline your thinking about this build".... they were 100% correct. I initially thought I could have this thing running by Spring of 2018 and for $25,000 or less... boy was I WRONG! It is currently having the "built" engine I purchased and installed, rebuilt. I have more than double my original budget in the truck as it sits, and 18 months of hard work, and its still not done! Shoulda, woulda, coulda... oh well

However, I have physically touched every nut, bushing, and screw on the entire vehicle - so I have a special connection to it.... Unfortunately, you dont get to quantify sentimental value :/

I think the market price continues to rise because I am not the only schmuck that has ventured down this rabbit hole. Not necessarily to "make money" on his project, but is unwilling to sell it for a huge loss just to sell it. That said, everything is for sell and if someone comes along and wants it more than me and makes an offer to back it up... she gone!

Next one I buy will be built and ready to drive - regardless of the price.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
/\/\ I had almost the exact issues. /\/\

Had to sell my first because I was a broke tech school kid. Bronco #2, Replaced every bolt and piece of wire, took it down to a pile of parts and re-assembled.

The owner where I work asked if it was for sale...…. Sure, high 5 figures.;D

OP
OP
B

broncochevy

Loc.
Orcutt, CA
Well since we are sayin....,my first was a 75. I was 15. Had rust in every seem. Was straight, but rusty. Got me to my next that was a 77, less rust, but was more molested. Factory interior was gone, stuff didn’t match and I had no money to build. Traded the 77 for a 73 that had a 4 speed top loader. I didn’t end up liking the 4 speed like I had thought, and rolled the bronco. 4th was another 73 with ps and auto and ranger package. Spent lots of blood, sweat and tears on this one and someone offered me 10k for it in the early 2000s. Should have kept it. Last was our ranch bronco that had been seriously used, it was to have everything i wanted in a bronco. Simple budget build tastefully done. 3 on the tree, 77 ps box, discs up front with Ford parts, power breaks, rear fenders already cut but use skinny tires, keeping the original look. 411 gearing, probably would have been better with 350s though. It was a 1970 but had a 44 in it. I was going for the roadster look, and have the doors for the colder months (not as cold with Bikini top and doors with the heater on). I had taken it down to bare metal started work on the floors, they didn’t get done to my liking friend I had helping me wasn’t too big of a hurry, had planned on redoing them myself. The chassis was done ready for fuel and break lines. Tried to finish up another project I had at the time, bought a house, was going to get married and sold it to someone I know. He said he would sell it back to me if he was going to get rid of it, that didnt happened though. He sold it to someone else. Now another person has it and they want more money than I got. And the only thing that was done to it was the stuff I already did (next owner stripped my frame paint off and repainted with less, and cheaper paint). Yard saled the running gear and other goodies that went with it. And now it’s price tag is 3 times what I sold it for a few years back. When you sell something, it’s not yours anymore. This miss my broncos. It’s like there’s a hole inside me.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
Paul hit some very one-two punch points.

New Suburbans and Expy's going for over 100K...never thought I would see those prices so early in my lifetime.

Two, available credit for "collector vehicles." I am speculating, but I don't think any banks were looking to give out say 70K on a 150K vehicle so someone could enjoy it now. I could be wrong.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I'll tell you why they are so expensive.

Because I decided to sell mine about 5 years ago. The powers that be saw that and said "oh, let's stick it to that guy". ;)

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I'll tell you why they are so expensive.

Because I decided to sell mine about 5 years ago. The powers that be saw that and said "oh, let's stick it to that guy". ;)

LOL, would be my luck too

edmedlin

Loc.
Republic Missouri
Well, I always wanted an Early Bronco and a Corvette. I now have one of each and what I didn't expect is that I got my very low mileage Vette C6 for about half of what the Bronco has cost me, and the Bronco is still not finished (at least not what I still want to do). I am still contemplating taking it back to uncut. The Corvette is over a dozen years old with about 50,000 miles. It runs great and needs nothing, not to mention it gets over 25mpg easily on the highway. It runs like a scalded ape too...... I got the Bronco for a good price considering it was a runner and was rust free at 11,000 bucks. After a paint job and all the work it needed, I have about $30,000 in it now.... Not counting the hours.

Attachments

• 27331796_1771461706211290_5741876691041080971_n[1].jpg
    27331796_1771461706211290_5741876691041080971_n[1].jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1570.jpg
    IMG_1570.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 85

EB70

I took a long drive yesterday. I was thinking about my Broncos. One is a driver and could be a daily honestly. Just parked because I wasn't driving it with my other rigs. Thought about selling it. I bought in just before things went nuts. I would conservatively pay double what I paid for each of them now. Still paid a lot for all of them though.

After reading this, and looking at my age and project progress, I think I will keep them. They are in the type of condition where sitting isn't going to do much to them. Good steel on them.

They are the one classic 4x4 that makes me happy every time I see one. And if the market readjusts, so be it. I love them.

Thanks for the thoughts.

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They are the one classic 4x4 that makes me happy every time I see one. And if the market readjusts, so be it. I love them.

^^^^^THIS sums it up perfectly for me. Doesn’t matter what happens to the value, or who thinks what about them. Nothing makes me smile like hearing that V8 rumble when I hit the key or look out over that hood as the miles fly by.

OP
OP
B

broncochevy

Loc.
Orcutt, CA
Right?? When I don’t have a bronco like the last few years, every time I see one I been my neck looking over and around to get a good look at it. Ford had it figured out back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EB70

For me, I have played around with a lot of older cars and I know that everytime I "leave the scene" it costs so much more to get back in. If I would have kept the cars I had the first time it would be so much better.

I have some interest in vintage Nova's etc. and a couple of other classics. But I know if I start selling EB's I won't be able to afford the buy in costs in a few years most likely.

It doesn't help that I am finishing the Bronco that never ends project and I am a little tired right now. I know that I will feel refreshed when I get to drive it in a month or so.

Unless I have a massive change of heart they will stay.