• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Paint: POR 15 w/ Herculiner in the tub of your Bronco.

Grunt1058

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Land of Entrapment
If you are interested in protecting your tub from rust, this may be a good solution for you.

After replacing my floorboards, I decided I didn't want to have to deal with the rust problem ever again. So, I bought a POR15 kit and a Herculiner kit and started prepping.

I stripped all the paint from the tub with Aircraft Remover and a 4.5" Angle Grinder with several wire wheels. I made sure to have no paint left in my tub so I could get the best sealant possible. Then, you treat the area with "Metal Ready" and rinse out as directed. It took me several washings with Metal Ready to feel comfortable with my project. Let the exposed metal dry prior to painting.

I then filled in all my body bolt holes with papertowles and electrical tape to keep the holes from being useful once I was done. I then started at the firewall and worked my way back with my first coat of POR15. Make sure you cover your exposed skin prior to painting. This stuff does not wash off easily once it is on your skin. Paint all the exposed metal working your way back. Garden pads work wonders for kneeling in the bed of your Bronco for extended periods of time. Once the first coat is in, let sit for 2 hours and then, start in with the 2nd coat. Since the first coat was still a little tacky, this kept me from being able to get in the Bronco as easy but, the garden pad still worked wonders.

After the 2nd coat of POR15 has set for 1.5 hours, it's time to roll in your Herculiner. The 2nd coat must not be dry and you want it to be a little more tacky then when you started the 2nd coat. Once again, Herculiner does not come off with a simple wash so please, protect your skin, especially your hootus. ;D. After you complete your Herculiner install, let dry for 12 - 24 hours before you start putting your seats etc. back in.

If you have anything to add/remove or modify to this, please contact me and I will get it updated.

Pics are in the near future (when I find the ones I took)

twstang

Loc.
Midland, TX
Herculiner

Do you have any pic's of how it turned out. How do you like the way the Herculiner turned out?

Tom

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I did it with mine, por15 through the front floors before the herculiner, here are my pics...

Attachments

• hercclose.jpg
    hercclose.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 1,859
  • liner1.jpg
    liner1.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 1,966
  • liner2.jpg
    liner2.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 1,904
  • liner3.jpg
    liner3.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 2,025

Smokey Rd.

herculiner

Approximately, how much does that stuff cost. Is it something I can find at my local Carquest, or auto dealer.

7bronco6

Loc.
PA
Yeah, I got my Herculiner at Autozone. It's like 80 bucks. In my opinion, well worth it. I am very pleased with the way mine turned out.

IFLYHOOKS

Loc.
Clarksville
You might want to also seal all the seams with roof flashing caulk. I just finished replacing from door pillars forward and I had (alot) assistance from a professional body man. He recommended the caulk, which I purchased from Lowe's, to seal all the seams once the body panels were put together. Additionally, I used a sound deadening spray on called Lizard Skin to help quiet the interior. Another nice thing about the caulk, is that it helped to smooth the transition between panels prior to spraying.

Entourage

Loc.
Phoenix, Arizona
It really looks nice - that is very impressive to do a project like that in your own garage. That looks like money well spent - nice job. Thanks for posting and the pics look great.

madisonbonner

what about heat? hot to the touch ,or does it draw heat from sunlight? i want to do it butjust not sure.

sward989

Loc.
folsom
Rhino Liner vs Line-X

Has anyone tried Rhino Liner or Line-X.

If yes which is better?

Thanks

joshbailer

professionally installed bed liner cost?

Hello all,
How much should I expect to pay for a professional bed liner installation (like Rhino liner) at a shop?

Thanks