• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Getting title from a VIN

Jluck

I know it varies by state but does anyone have experience with getting a title for a vehicle (Or frame) that didn't come with one? I have a extra EB frame and figured I should try to get a correct title before I finish it. I also have a titled 69 that I am using lots of the parts on to the "new" frame. FWIW I'm in Oregon. Thanks.

Have you ever used a "Title recovery" service?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Having a buddy who just tried this after buying a frame... In CA you have to have a complete vehicle in order to get a title and registration.

OP
OP
J

Jluck

OP
OP
J

Jluck

I tried using the vin decoder but that site seems to be gone now. I really don't want to start a help me thread so if anyone here has the knowledge...

I ran the number to check for theft or salvage claims and both are clean.

VIN,
U15GLA04129

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
When I went to get the title for mine (outside Salem) - I had to bring the working vehicle there for them to inspect the VIN. Of course they had no idea where the Vin was, so I could have shown them the one on the frame OR the one in the glove box. Since mine match, I went with Glove Box. I think they told me that Oregon won't give a title to a "piece" of a vehicle or a non-working vehicle. I think. I tried to get one while mine was still immobile and couldn't. - jim

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Michigan is pretty simple, you go to a vehicle appraiser (in my case the junk yard down the road from the dmv...super serious here) pay $5 for an appraisal. Then just go to the DMV say you need a replacement title, they run the vin and as long as it's not reported lost/stolen, boom new title for $45 in under 2hrs... im not saying this next part is legal but if you don't have a complete running vehicle you could take some bogus photos of a rust bucket to be appraised then head to the DMV, BUT if it came up stolen you might end up in a world of shit, so I advise against the latter...

OP
OP
J

Jluck

Michigan is pretty simple, you go to a vehicle appraiser (in my case the junk yard down the road from the dmv...super serious here) pay $5 for an appraisal. Then just go to the DMV say you need a replacement title, they run the vin and as long as it's not reported lost/stolen, boom new title for $45 in under 2hrs... im not saying this next part is legal but if you don't have a complete running vehicle you could take some bogus photos of a rust bucket to be appraised then head to the DMV, BUT if it came up stolen you might end up in a world of shit, so I advise against the latter...

I read a part here about getting an appraisal... Thanks. I'll dig more. I ran the VIN already and it was clear, I also found a title recovery service that does it for 275 bucks. I'm tempted to go that route but one thing I didn't mention before is I bought a property covered in old cars/trucks that I need to get titles for and at 275 that bill will stack up quick. Trying to find out a efficient way of doing it myself.

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I read a part here about getting an appraisal... Thanks. I'll dig more. I ran the VIN already and it was clear, I also found a title recovery service that does it for 275 bucks. I'm tempted to go that route but one thing I didn't mention before is I bought a property covered in old cars/trucks that I need to get titles for and at 275 that bill will stack up quick. Trying to find out a efficient way of doing it myself.

you know anyone in Michigan? lol

ricky

Loc.
beaumon,texas 77706
this might sound odd..but what if you have a vehicle and title in your name..but lost the glove box with the vin stamped on it?

long story,but bronco was torn apart, getting stuff sand blasted,etc..and then hurricane and bigtime flooding happened..saved bronco and most parts,,but cant find glove box that went with the dash...just thought id ask if anyone has experience with that..thanks

ricky

Loc.
beaumon,texas 77706
gnpenning..thanks very much for that info..does anyone sell aftermarket glove box doors?

how do you go about getting in touch with marti? sorry,never done this before..thanks again

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Ricky check the for sale section or post in the wanted section. Jeff's and delonic may have one. Don't know if anyone sells new ones.

Google classic Bronco Marti. Maybe someone else will post the link. Get a complete Marti report while you are at it. You can also get a door jamb sticker. No Marti reports for 66.

If it wasn't for this site I would have no clue about Marti reports.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
www.martiauto.com if I remember. Reminds me i was going to get the full report for my '68 one of these days too.

If you don't find a reasonably priced door, you could always use a Tuffy Security glovebox with it's own door, and add your new tag to it.

Paul

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
thanks gnpenning,will do a search,sure appreciate it

I have a door I’m not using, bought it because I temporarily lost mine but found it, $35 shipped to your door if you want it