• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Found a SECOND playmate for the Ambulance Bronco (see post 170, pg. 12)

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I'd have to refresh my knowledge on this, but I recall seeing some pics of one that was supposed to have been in AZ or NM that looked a bit weathered.

Andrew Norton wrote a 5 page article in Bronco Driver about the Balloon Chase Broncos. I forget the issue number though. At the time, he had accounted for 5 of them, but only one was known to be one that actually was on the chase (the Ambulance). There were others that were produced after the event by RVI.

The one that my friend had, if it was one of these, got sold back in about 91ish in Denver. We used to see it around from time to time for the next couple years after he sold it. I'll have to see if he has any photos from before it got painted.

It would be really cool if you found the van as well!

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Drew, gonna ask for my brother's help on the van front....he may be able to find something as he still has deep Vannin connections...

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
wow thats great .... but where is the Balloon they chased ???

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
i'm sure you've seen this but while searching i found this picture

Attachments

• 131_0802_18_z+1977_2007_anniversary_best_4x4s+ford_broncos.jpg
    131_0802_18_z+1977_2007_anniversary_best_4x4s+ford_broncos.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 175
OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
i'm sure you've seen this but while searching i found this picture

Yes, that is the Bronco that Willie Stroppe and one of his friends drove cross-country during the chase.

If your bro can help find one of the vans, that would be awesome!

I need to locate one (or 6) of the triangular RVI badges as can be seen under the marker light.

Stroppe removed them from the Ambulance when he owned it. I have felt up behind the fenders and can feel where the holes were filled with weld.

The F-100 actually has four of these. Two under the front markers and two above the steps on the bed. All four are missing with the holes and unfaded paint outlines still there.

If I can find just one to buy or borrow, I will have a a few reproduced. They appear to be aluminum or pot metal cast badges.

From the little I have been able to find and read about RVI, it appears that they were a pretty prolific customizer in SoCal through the 70's and produced thousands of conversions. So hopefully I will be able to locate at least one badge if not all six. I plan to make neodymium magnetic mounts for show use only on the Ambulance since I do not want to drill the fenders.

If anyone out there has any information about RVI or a lead on any badges, please send me a PM!

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
oh wow there is a Balloon Chaser motorcycle too

There were two Kawasaki motorcycles, an airplane, an F-350 (hauled he large Manchester tank for LPG refills), F-150 (hauled spare tanks for the balloon and/or the basket), and a box van that was set up for media personnel. I've also read there was also a helicopter and Willie Stroppe told us there was one or two hovercraft in case they had to do a recovery in a swamp.

From what I understand, some of these assets (airplane and helicopter) were never actually used for the big show.

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Very nice addition to the stable Drew-
The body on the pickup looks great-I have a new respect for that after working on swiss cheese again last weekend!!!! Remember, if you decide to make the 460 more of a rumbler, let me know-Papaw still wants a bigblock build:) Oh yea, the garage is still cleanish to.......

I'm not sure what route I will end up going with the 460. That will be later since I need to get all the rest of it restored first. Old school performance like it is now is cool, but a more modern performance built EFI big block would be pretty trick in an otherwise old school custom like this.

Yeah, the garage is quickly filling back up since the Wrench & Roast! I pulled my single car trailer in (seen in a couple of the pics) to finish the install of the new 5200# torflex axles and to mount the new fenders to fit the larger tires and wheels since I thought I was going to have to run out to Idaho over Labor Day to get the F-100.

The Ambulance has the fuel tanks removed for cleaning, a new rear sending unit and new fuel lines. My dad is also rebuilding the carb. Hopefully these efforts will fix the intermittent fuel starvation issue we've had a couple times now since he already replaced the mechanical and electric fuel pumps back in June and that does not appear to have been the issue as we suspected.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
do you have that stuff in print or is it on line someplace? very intriqued by all of this....posted on the Ford message board as well.

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
HaHa, nice catch Drew!!!!! I believe your Dad used his Birthday as the excuse for buying the Ambulance, which I thought was real creatitive!!!;D;D;D

Are you using anything like that, you know, something we might could pick up on someday????:cool::cool::cool:

Sweet rig, good luck with it!!

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
HaHa, nice catch Drew!!!!! I believe your Dad used his Birthday as the excuse for buying the Ambulance, which I thought was real creatitive!!!;D;D;D

Are you using anything like that, you know, something we might could pick up on someday????:cool::cool::cool:

Sweet rig, good luck with it!!

Nope, I just saw it and decided that if I let it slip away I would be kicking myself and have learned to try not to let that happen whenever possible!

Since I am single, the list of people who have to approve these purchases is pretty short. ;D

However, my GF Pat is a fan of the Broncos and thinks the F-100 is going to be pretty sweet when done.

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
do you have that stuff in print or is it on line someplace? very intriqued by all of this....posted on the Ford message board as well.

I have some original magazines I have been collecting that my dad has been scanning. I need to compile all of these yet and get it all posted on a website somewhere. Nhopman also made hi res scans of the entire package of paperwork (75+ pieces as I recall) that came with the ambulance. Not all of it is interesting, but there are some cool items in there.

Not too much online about these vehicles or the Limited Edition Sail that I have found.

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
However, my GF Pat is a fan of the Broncos and thinks the F-100 is going to be pretty sweet when done.

Hey now that GF (Pat) might be your best catch!!!;D;D;D I found it funny how she calmly sat in the Polaris reading a book while we were waiting to get the trails clear!!!!:cool::cool::cool:

Attachments

• FSCN3932.JPG
    FSCN3932.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 113
  • FSCN3939.JPG
    FSCN3939.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 108