• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

At what point are you offended by a cash offer on your Bronco

tymbo

Loc.
Louisville, KY
Being in the process of hunting down a Bronco, I am faced with the reality that my budget only qualifies me for a certain type of Bronco and some one-off deals here and there and a couple where you have to be the lucky guy who answered the ad first. To say the least I have been the second guy in line twice, still waiting to hear if the guy backs out on one this weekend.

My dilemma comes because I found a couple that are close to my budget, one I know I will not offend, and another that just might. Example is I called about one today and the guys mechanic answered and told me all about it and told me what he wanted for it, but said quickly he was flexible on the price at 14k. It’s easily a 14k Bronco all day too, My hard line budget is about 7-8k and do want to make an offer, but don’t want the guy to have to come out just to be pissed I offered so low.

So what do you think? Is it too low? I think the mechanic is trying to get a piece of the pie for sure.

Last edited:

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
You can tell him your budget. The worst he can do, and probably will, is shoot you down. With a budget under 10k it's hard to find much of a bronco anymore. As far as being offended most of us are used to it with random offers. I'm in so cal and constantly get people walking up the driveway and trying to offer me 5k for either of my not for sale broncos. I had one a-hole demanding I give him a price for either bronco. That's with my 140# mastiff going nuts at him. I finally told him I might consider 30k for one.then he really got pissed. Then again I told him they're not for sale and that's what it would cost me to replace it and get it to the point mine are at.

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
If I had to make a special trip to have you low ball my asking price, I would be pissed.
Be up front before anyone invests much time.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
You can tell him your budget. The worst he can do, and probably will, is shoot you down. With a budget under 10k it's hard to find much of a bronco anymore.

Agreed here.........

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
If you are only gonna have or offer half of his asking price? I don't think he'll get mad probably laugh out loud followed by "are you serious"

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
So what do you think? Is it too low? .

Yep....

First thing I would suggest is keep looking til you find one for sale by the seller with no 3rd party involved (dealer, consigner, mechanic??%))

It’s quite common to search diligently for months to find a fair deal on a Bronco under 10k

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Trailer at the ready and cash in hand.........
Be prepared to look for months without discouragement.........
Avoid third party if possible............
Know exactly what you want, and what you're capable if it's a project...........
Scour the web 24/7.........
Yes, I agree that offering half the asking price probably won't get you anywhere, but also keep in mind that a lot of "newby" sellers may think that they have a "gem" that's worth twice what it's actually worth, this is becoming quite common.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
It doesn't hurt to ask but dont be mad if they say no, or laugh. I have sold a bunch of broncos over the years, most of them were lower priced rigs and I always had super low ball offers, it is part of the game. You may offer something super low but if the guy cant sell it or just is sick of dealing with people you might luck out.
Finding a solid truck for less than 10K these days is rare and being your in the eastern part of the country it is even harder. Your are going to have to deal with rust for sure. Keep looking and If I was you I would put a wanted add on this sight, I have gotten a few broncos that way.

OP
OP
T

tymbo

Loc.
Louisville, KY
Thanks for all the input. I have been lurking here for a while and created an account a couple months ago. I have learned so much from the forum on what to look for and what to pass on.

dougyounger

Contributor
I had an automotive student at the university where I teach offered to trade me straight up for his beat to crap, four door Jeep Cherokee. I laughed when he first made the offer and told him no. He kept asking me about it and getting a bit upset when I wouldn't trade. That's when I started to get offended.

I can shrug off someone approaching me with a low-ball offer. Just don't keep bothering me with a low-ball offer.

I know mine isn't much right now, but it's all there and it runs (not well right now). And I have a good idea of what it is worth and what it would take to replace it.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
1. Keep adding money to your Bronco fund.
2. Keep looking.
3. Keep learning repair and restoration skills, because for the money you have all you can afford is a long term project Bronco and if you don't have the money to pay someone else to do it then you need to be able to do it.

aisawalsh

How far are you willing to travel? I have an old bronco that runs/drives with a 351 but live in Alberta Canada that I would consider selling for your 7-8K US budget. Text me if interested and I could send you some pictures 403-506-2480

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
You want a Bronco deal you have to ask. Just don't be a dick. Every deal out there comes from someone asking when others didn't.

I got my project Bronco by leaving note that I was interested in purchasing their Bronco if they wanted it to go to a new home. Left phone number. They called me about 6 months later. Kinda got them about going to a new home.

Any Bronco owner who hangs on to a derelict old Bronco has a heart for them. They would rather give it to you at a discount than sell it to a Flipper trying to take advantage of them. The key is how they perceive you.

A friend of mine Bought a fair market old Bronco. The guy really felt it was going to the right person. Before tying the Bronco down on the trailer the seller asked him if he wanted the spare parts for the Bronco he had been collecting. In the end he got a good hood, a pair of Ford uncut fenders, a tail gate and new bumpers and a bunch of mechanical parts all for nothing but the sale price on the truck.

It broke the guys heart to part with the old Bronco. But he felt it was going to the right guy. It was sad when we were leaving he went inside the house not to come out as we drove off. Long term Bronco owners are a very different type of guy, very sentimental about their horses.

This may be changing in the last few years since we are becoming a high valued collectors item and drawing that crowd.

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
When my parents and I bought my Bronco 18 years ago, we told the guy $10k was our limit and my dad and I expressed what our plans were for the Bronco. The guy declined our offer and said if he decided to sell it for that price he would call us. At this time he also had another guy interested for his asking price of $12.5k. The next morning he called and said come get it for $10k. Upon arrival he told us he could not sell it to a guy that was only buying it to appease his two boys.

Never know unless you ask!

kempco

I bought a toyhauler trailer several yrs ago and made an offer about $4000 less than he was asking. I gave him my phone number and told him to call me if he doesn't sell it. About three weeks later he called me and accepted my offer.

Muddy1966Bronco

Loc.
Central PA
I’ve done a lot of vehicle sales and buying over the years and my threshold of “offense” (scoffing or straight up laughing) at an offer usually sets at 50% of the asking price. I think you risk setting a seller off there. But there’s almost always wiggle room, and I have also accepted low offers to the right person. And people have done it for me. All the members here are giving solid advice. Be upfront with your price range, fully expect to be rejected and take it nicely, and you never know. You might get that call back. I agree on the perception. Guys typically want to see their beloved projects taken care of more than they want big money. Good luck in your search!