• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

FiTech Install Video

jonmelton

Well I finally got the FiTech installed and started up. Posted a video on YouTube to help anyone thinking about doing it. I'm shocked how easy it really was (minus all my mistakes). Thanks to all the knowledge and wisdom from everyone on here. I still have some fine tuning to do, but it's running!

[youtube]8_sAb-iwlz0[/youtube]

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice.

The 4 hole you mention is a stock 4 barrel intake, it's not called a quad plane.:)
s-l300.jpg

mpboxer

Contributor
Loc.
Queen Creek, AZ
Nice Jon! To answer your stock coolant gauge question, I believe you could just run another temp sending unit and reconnect your original engine temp wire. I think (and I may be wrong here) there are a couple different spots you can install a coolant temp sender on the intake manifold. There's one by the thermostat housing which I believe would be more accurate because the coolant had time to circulate in the block and there is another one to the right of that in the front still. I don't know if you want to splice another wire and use the same sender as fitech. Don't know if they work in the same resistance range (ohms) for the stock gauge??? I'm sure others will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong. Cheers, Mike

Last edited:

JCBombardier

Watched it last night. Good stuff. Thanks for taking the time to do the video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cortez

Bronco Guru
Sweet - I am on weekend #2 for my "4 hour" install of Fitech. Which actually worked out well so that summit racing could ship me a new carb spacer for my stock 351 intake. Can't wait for start up...for now just taking my time on fuel line plumbing for dual tanks, and like you a new distributor with my timing out of whack!

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Just watched the video, good job Jon. Now I did see something wrong and that is your C4 kick down linkage, you will need to discard the factory linkage as it cannot be set correctly that way. You need to get a Lokar C4 kit # KD-20C4HT. You have to be able to have the C4 linkage only become wide open at full throttle, without that you will get erratic shifting. The C4 does not get any throttle input until you are at 70% to WOT to function properly. Let me know if you have any questions, the parts are the same that we used on the red bronco you saw at SC.

bteutsch

My Edelbrock intake had an extra place for a temp sender in the rear of the intake. I kept the factory sender in the stock location and used the one in the rear for the Fitech temp sender. And you can keep your factory distributor and run it divorced from the Fitech system. Just use a different wire to the coil. I think it's the blue one. Black if you use timing control. But you won't be utilizing I guess a cool feature of that model of Fitech throttle body. I'm not using it on mine yet, still using duraspark. Some people have said the duraspark distributor is a two wire unit, you just have to lock out the timing on the distributor when you hook it up. Which on the duraspark requires welding the part that moves in place. And some of the cheaper models of Fitech throttle bodies don't come with timing control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jonmelton

jonmelton

You need to get a Lokar C4 kit # KD-20C4HT. You have to be able to have the C4 linkage only become wide open at full throttle, without that you will get erratic shifting. The C4 does not get any throttle input until you are at 70% to WOT to function properly.

Thank you so much. I have it started but haven't driven it yet. Guess I'll order this and wait to drive it until I get it. Or maybe drive around the neighborhood in second gear some.

c0astie31

Jon, your c4 will shift fine, just will not down shift under accel unless the linkage is set up.
You will drive through the gears fine.
Thanks for your videos. I have watched just about all of them and enjoy them very much