• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carburetor Woes

GusJackson

I have a 72 with an original 302. I put a rebuilt 2100 carb on the engine and have had nothing but problems with it since. It has been a few years since I put it on. My question is, do I have it rebuilt or do I go with something else? I get tired of messing with it and the engine never ran right with it on. I would like to keep it original as possible, but I get tired of constantly adjusting and vacuum.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Which size 2100 are you trying to use?
Certainly any could be made to work, but the right size would be the best place to start.
http://www.mustangtek.com/2100/ford2100.html

A few years back, I bought a 2100 with 1.23" venturi from a guy parting out a 390 Torino GT. I ran it on my 302 for a while but could never get it to run as good as the 1.08" venturi 2150 that came on it, so I swapped it back.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
Get someone to rebuild it and adjust it correctly. I have 2 Broncos and 2 Motorcraft carbs and they run great.

metal1

Loc.
hidesert ,socal
I picked up a 2100 off shore clone from amazon for 120 bucks looked just like the worn out one I was replacing.i had to rework the choke assm so the hand choke would work .after running it a few months I rejetted it down 5 jet sizes nowit really runs nice .I use it off road and crawling

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
I picked up a 2100 off shore clone from amazon for 120 bucks looked just like the worn out one I was replacing.i had to rework the choke assm so the hand choke would work .after running it a few months I rejetted it down 5 jet sizes nowit really runs nice .I use it off road and crawling

Hey Metal - Where did you find jets for this carb? Thanks!

jckkys

Bronco Guru
AC Carburetor has the best price on a pair of 2100,2150, and 4100 jets here;http://www.allcarbs.com/detail.php?pid=159&gb=1&ctgn=27&stt=0. The OE 2100 for a '72 should have 1.08" veturis. This is cast on the vertical surface of the driver side of the float bowl. Ford made over 200 versions of 2100 carbs. Not only for specific years and engines, but almost every application. The correct one for your Bronco would look like this; http://www.ebay.com/itm/REBUILT-MOT...ash=item25d54cba08:g:wLYAAOSw5UZZAQPl&vxp=mtr At least if you have a manual trans. This may be getting as close as possible. The new Chinese copies are set up to be universal and the parts may or may not be interchangeable with Ford carbs. Large scale re-builders don't even try to supply the correct part.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru

I'm trying to get one of those tuned in on mine. Do you remember what size jets you ended up with?

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
I'm trying to get one of those tuned in on mine. Do you remember what size jets you ended up with?

Install a wideband and you'll tune it in very quickly.

I also found out that I had a HUGE vacuum leak in my vac booster causing me to install jets a lot bigger than I needed to compensate for the leak. Once all was said and done, I believe I went from 47's to 50's as opposed to 53's that I had in their compensating.

metal1

Loc.
hidesert ,socal
I tune old school ,seat of the pants ,tail pipe soot ,plug color ,as for jets I have a jet drill set that I have had for years so if I cant find the ones I need I have soldered them closed and drilled them to the size I want .I know ill get a lot of grief from some on here ,but it has worked for me ,from 500 hp alco. modifieds to briggs 3.5`s just gotta do what you can .as for jets on my set up it came with 75`s and I went down to 70 .good luck and just keep on driving these dam things