• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Blinker Question

Prime Time

Im still a rookie here and thought I posted this question , but I don't see it , so here it is again ...
I have a New 3 turn steering box and my blinker doesn't cancel unless I turn real hard , is there anything I can do to to make the turn signal cancel with less turning of the wheel

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I’ve noticed that some wheels have a single lobe on the collar and others have two. My 77 has two which I expect would cancel the turn signal sooner than a single cam.

I’m not sure when they changed the collars or why but might try a dual lobe collar if you don’t have one already.

I’m about to replace my turn signal switch in the next few days so I’ll be doing some tweaking myself.

c6eadb435c28fb70e1d5e473186343b5.jpg

92ac5fe5fabe96c9ff7284fc93589ea6.jpg

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
The single lobe is a reproduction piece. The dual lobe is OEM. Find a used steering wheel to rob the dual lobe one from if this is your issue.

OP
OP
Prime Time

Prime Time

I do have the dual collar on the wheel , I was thinking there might be a way to close the gap on the plastic contact clip thing , so it would trigger sooner , next time I take the wheel off , Ill check if theres a way to spread the dual lobes farther apart ,...
just a thought , maybe I could cut a piece of tubing and tac weld two 1/2 circles to the original lobes ?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
It should work fine if everything is installed properly. Make sure the collar hasn’t slipped and that the two lobes are centered between the switch arms.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Probably need to widen the lobe spacing so they tickle the cancel arms with less steering input.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I’m replacing my switch tomorrow so I have a switch and collar sitting here. I took a picture of the collar sitting in the switch. The switch is set as if making a right turn. There is barely enough room to add any lobes.

The first photo has the collar lined up correctly. Turning the wheel less than 45 degrees would move the cam enough to cancel the signal. In the second photo, the cam lobes are on the wrong side. That would require turning the wheel more than 180 degrees before the first cam contacted the arm to cancel the signal.

I’m betting the collar is installed 180 degrees off....
8520421baf716e53b81bc5438a417c16.jpg

70fd8f2b2a71e9eaee9f134351d5b8a4.jpg

OP
OP
Prime Time

Prime Time

Wow , awesome I bet when I put the new Box in I installed it 180 off , thanks mucho , that's a easy fix , really appreciated the help here

Flying Pigs

Loc.
Elgin, IL
Im going to add to this thread as I just did some research and completed some tasks. I replaced the steering wheel, turn signal switch, cancelling cam, and plastic wiring connector at the base of the steering column that joins the turn signal wiring harness to the under dash harness.

I have a 73 Bronco and the steering column is from a different year. It has a hazard switch on the column. 74-77 has the hazard switch on the column but if your ordering a steering wheel mounting adapter, the diameter at the top of the column with the steering wheel removed is is aprox. 3 1/2" for 66-74 and around 4" for 75-77. Mine was 4".

All my wiring was butt jointed at the base of the steering column....I couldnt sleep at night if I did something like that. Butch the floor, butch the dash, butch the wiring harness. Not on my watch. So I tried to locate the horseshoe plug connector...nope. Looking at the pics of Painless and Centech wiring harnesses......the connectors sure look like GM stuff. I ordered the complete GM connector with all the terminals from Speedway for 9.99 part number 910-500428. Crimped and soldered it together and plugged them together. Waiting to see if my Ford rejects the GM transplant...Nope, shes alive.

The cancelling cam from Toms Bronco parts shows a 1 leg cam on his web site ( i cant find it in his catalog) but when I got it, it had 2 legs....someone mentioned hunting for a 2 leg cam...it is what I received....passing that on.

The new steering wheel looks awesome, everything works.

You guys have alot of great information on here. I try not to post questions and search for the answers. Pretty much can find anything....Thank you and this is my attempt to give back