• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Torque Converter Removal

DebosDave'72

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
I know you are supposed to remove the bolts from the torque converter to the flexplate before you drop the transmission. My question: Is this still necessary if the engine and tranny are out of the truck and sitting on the ground? I have been contemplating how to take those bolts out, since the engine is sitting on the ground (read heavy), and don't know if I should roll it on the side to remove the torque converter from the flexplate, or if I can just slide it off the pump end of the tranny? Any help or suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
15/16 deep well socket onto center bolt of the crank shaft. rotate engine as needed to get to the nuts behind inspection cover.
pulling the plugs makes it easier if needed.
simple process
hth
nick

OP
OP
DebosDave'72

DebosDave'72

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
Nick,

Thanks for that piece of info, What I am wondering is if it is considered necessary, my problem is rolling the assembly onto its side to access the inspection cover so I can get in there. If it is necessary to remove the torque converter from the flexplate, I will find a way to roll the assembly over, if not, I am going to just take the tranny off, and let the torque converter stay attached to the flexplate until I remove the tranny.... I know the issue is the weight of the tranny hanging up on the pump as you slide the input shaft out of the torque converter, just didn't know if this is as important with the unit on the ground, ie. I will be lifting the tranny up as I pull it off anyway.... if I can support the weight, will it be ok to leave the converter attached to the flexplate???

Thanks again!

Dave

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
DebosDave'72 said:
Nick,

Thanks for that piece of info, What I am wondering is if it is considered necessary, my problem is rolling the assembly onto its side to access the inspection cover so I can get in there. If it is necessary to remove the torque converter from the flexplate, I will find a way to roll the assembly over, if not, I am going to just take the tranny off, and let the torque converter stay attached to the flexplate until I remove the tranny.... I know the issue is the weight of the tranny hanging up on the pump as you slide the input shaft out of the torque converter, just didn't know if this is as important with the unit on the ground, ie. I will be lifting the tranny up as I pull it off anyway.... if I can support the weight, will it be ok to leave the converter attached to the flexplate???

Thanks again!

Dave
Absolutely not.
You not only run the risk of damaging the pump, but you could bend the flexplate as well. Even a slightly bent flexplate if run undetected can tear out a brand new pump bushing.

You really should try to support the engine on blocks or cradle it with something that will raise it up enough to access the converter nuts. With a floor jack or a skateboard or something under the tranny you can then roll the trans away from the engine after it's unbolted.

A 14mm wrench or socket fits the nuts tighter than a 9/16, this will help you to break loose the stubborn nuts without rounding off the corners.

Wes harden

I second Howie, unless your going to replace the flywheel and torqu + rebuild the trans = $250.00 to 500. engine hoist at harbor frieght @ $ 200. as perk you have for next time :) Can rent 1 too.

OP
OP
DebosDave'72

DebosDave'72

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
good enough! Thanks for the responses, I will find a way to unbolt the Torque Converter First! Thanks for the help, I would hate to mess this up, and find out later

Dave

OP
OP
DebosDave'72

DebosDave'72

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
73stallion said:
pull the starter and take the nuts off through that hole. gotta pull the starter to split them anyway.

AH HA!!! Great idea, didn't think of that little hole! Thanks, that helps a bunch! I will try to go at it through the starter hole.

Dave