• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1972-73 owners-mind your P's and Q's

Oakland Bronco

Loc.
San Francisco, CA
Hmmm...I think the P was a 72, tho I considered it a 73 being that it was a PS rig and a Ranger. But regardless of it's past it is now a 72 for sure.

The Q was titled as a 73. It's fully restored and in Japan....but I know it very well (body off resto).

Viperwolf1, I haven't forgotten about this. BajaBronco has my rig -- a '73 with VIN Q52289 -- so unless Andrew can chime in with month/year built, I'll get that info next week on Tuesday or Wednesday when I see him. Actually, come to think of it, I ordered a Marti report 3 days ago, so I should get the report back today or tomorrow. I'll post the details when I have them.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Another registered '73. Q84469. No decal, so month will have to be determined.
Light bars, power steering and auto trans. J-shift, return lines in the sending units, but not on selector valve. However, that could have been changed. DSO 72 in case that can put anything in perspective. Didn't look for ambient switch, but am helping put it back together after a full frame off, so don't know where I might find it. Door hinge pillar could have been covered.

Paul

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wow, I had to look up what an ambient sensor is. When I was dissembling the Bronco I wondered what that was. I'm assuming now that this is it, and if so, my Q235 has it.

Attachments

• rsz_img_4755.jpg
    rsz_img_4755.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 124
OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Another registered '73. Q84469. No decal, so month will have to be determined.
Light bars, power steering and auto trans. J-shift, return lines in the sending units, but not on selector valve. However, that could have been changed. DSO 72 in case that can put anything in perspective. Didn't look for ambient switch, but am helping put it back together after a full frame off, so don't know where I might find it. Door hinge pillar could have been covered.

Paul

One of the earliest J shifters. Supposedly started at Q80000.

I can understand the senders having return ports. Ford probably ordered a huge number of them at the begining of the model year.

If it ever had the temp sensor the screw holes would be tapped.

ransil

Bronco Guru
is it possible to have an "M' on a 72??

M67312

I have the vin in my phone I will need to verify it against the vehicle.

ambient temp sensor
t-shift

OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
is it possible to have an "M' on a 72??

M67312

I have the vin in my phone I will need to verify it against the vehicle.

ambient temp sensor
t-shift

Yes, early '72. M67312 looks like Sept '71.

nmgearguy

Here's an early 1973 for your database

registered as a 1973
build date 11/72
VIN Q63450
T Shift
Auto tranny
Dash lights
return line at the carb, 3 way at selector switch
no temp sensor, has a rubber plug there

Hope that helps

OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Here's an early 1973 for your database

registered as a 1973
build date 11/72
VIN Q63450
T Shift
Auto tranny
Dash lights
return line at the carb, 3 way at selector switch
no temp sensor, has a rubber plug there

Hope that helps

That's a key puzzle piece. Any chance you can get a pic of that return line at the carb?

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Wow, I had to look up what an ambient sensor is. When I was dissembling the Bronco I wondered what that was. I'm assuming now that this is it, and if so, my Q235 has it.

That's it. Did you 3 speed have a switch screwed into it in front of the shift levers too?

Stingray240cs

Loc.
Corinth, Texas
Oh, I missed that. Mine is P89210 1972 J shift 3 speed with amb sensor.

I was wondering what that was.

If you need more info let me know.

Sent from my Droid DNA

OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Is that sensor in the drivers door towards the front of the bronco and top of the frame?

Sent from my Droid DNA

Yes, just like in AZ73's pic above.

Just for more clarification. The sensor is the metal thing with screws. The hole was there forever after '72 so it was just filled with a rubber plug (no screws) after it was discontinued. The rubber plug is not a temp sensor.

Stingray240cs

Loc.
Corinth, Texas
Here is a picture, don't mind the mess...

IMAG0742.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What mess?
Isn't that what they all look like, at least at some point in their lives?

Looks pretty familiar from here anyway.

Paul

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Attachments

• rsz_img_4999.jpg
    rsz_img_4999.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 85
  • rsz_img_5510.jpg
    rsz_img_5510.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 79
  • rsz_img_5511.jpg
    rsz_img_5511.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 75

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cool.Even has the Gabriel Adjustable E's in it!
Your trans may not have the switch, but the plug is there in the front near the bellhousing it looks like.
Wonder if it was removed, or never had it. Either way though, the tranny is correct vintage or it would not even have had the plug.
Wonder if they changed the designation too? As in "RAT" and "RAN" and "RUG" and maybe another one?

Paul

OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Don't think so. Here's a pix:

I can't tell if that's a plug or broken switch. Here are some reference pics. Note the D2AR casting number.

Attachments

• TRS 3 speed 2.jpg
    TRS 3 speed 2.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 60
  • TRS 3speed.jpg
    TRS 3speed.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 59

nmgearguy

Sorry Viper those parts are long gone. I do remember that there was a single hard fuel line coming from the fuel pump and ~8" from the carb was a return split (or "T"). The section of the split that went to the return was factory bent back towards the fuel pump and was blocked by the P.O., while the other section obviously went to the carburetor. Since the P.O. terminated the return line, I have no idea where it went from there. I only assume it went back to the fuel tank, but with two tanks and a 3-port selector (not a 6 port) valve, I'm stumped. Hope I didn't just confuse things more than not.

Thanks for collecting the data. It's helps us all and I appreciate it.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I can't tell if that's a plug or broken switch. Here are some reference pics. Note the D2AR casting number.

Looks like a plug. Couldn't tell you if it used to have a switch and they plugged it or the factory plugged it. Don't recall any dangling wires down there.

Attachments

• rsz_img_5524.jpg
    rsz_img_5524.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 40
  • rsz_img_5523.jpg
    rsz_img_5523.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 39