• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer EFI Mass Buy Feeler.

chuzie

Bronco Guru
For those of you looking to run 351w, here is the applicability for the camshaft position sensor and the camshaft synchronizer. Thanks pa69broncoguy for helping me sort this out.

Click on the part number below (Motorcraft (Ford)) and it will link you to Oreilly Auto. Scroll down and click on the COMPATIBILITY tab to see the applicable vehicles.

Camshaft Sensor (3-wire) DU-57 (12A112)
These sensors are plentiful and should be on the Explorer from which you pull the harness as well as a long list of other vehicles. Keep in mind there is a 2-wire and a 3-wire sensor and I have not confirmed if they are interchangeable among synchronizers as shown in the post below.

Camshaft Synchronizer (matched to 3-wire sensor) DA-2096 (F6TZ-12A362-CB)
Interestingly, these synchronizers are available on both the 3.8 and 4.2. EFIguy can modify programming for to account for a 2-wire if needed. Per pa69, make sure you test the rotation of the synchro from the junkyard as a common problem is to have a tight spot.

The longer oil pump driveshaft is Melling IS-84A

The collar to adapt the synchronizer to the 351w has no easy solution. So far, folks have had to a custom adapter produced at a machine shop. I am still wanting to have it done on a 3D printer!!!

If there is a Ford Parts guy out there that cares to confirm this info, please do. I do not entirely trust Oreilly Auto's site, but it is the best resource I have for crossing applications.

:cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Good info!

I will add that the synchronizers are different between 2 wire and 3 wire sensors though.
The 2 wire has a single tooth that passes by the sensor where the 3 wire has more of a half moon shape.

2 wire on the left, 3 wire on the right:

cam sens0rs.jpg

chuzie

Bronco Guru
So they are not interchangeable. Good to know. Modified my post. Thx.

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
FYI, depending on your application, the drive gear might need to be changes out. I used a comp cam xx.idontremember and it is cast. I have a buddy at ford and he looked up the original part and it's a cast drive gear. I wasn't confident that the aftermarket syncro had a cast cam so Tasker found a drive gear for me so I'm sure to be matched.

BTW, I got my harness and ECMs back from EFIGuy Saturday. The harness looks great. He does really nice work. At first it looks imposing, but once I laid it out and read all the labels, it looks survive-able. If you are contemplating this swap. I highly recommend Garry's work

Hank

Casey835

This is just in time. I need to take my parts back and swap out for right ones. I've got 99 harness which is two wire and small tooth. I bought three wire and half moon. Are there part numbers for the two wire sensor and small tooth syncro. Will that melling oil pump shaft work or will I need a different one as well?

Last edited:
OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
So they are not interchangeable. Good to know. Modified my post. Thx.

Yeah, not interchangeable. I can change between 2-3 wire sensor in the tune, but have never tested it. Changing a harness would be a real PITA since the wires are shielded.

FYI, depending on your application, the drive gear might need to be changes out. I used a comp cam xx.idontremember and it is cast. I have a buddy at ford and he looked up the original part and it's a cast drive gear. I wasn't confident that the aftermarket syncro had a cast cam so Tasker found a drive gear for me so I'm sure to be matched.

BTW, I got my harness and ECMs back from EFIGuy Saturday. The harness looks great. He does really nice work. At first it looks imposing, but once I laid it out and read all the labels, it looks survive-able. If you are contemplating this swap. I highly recommend Garry's work

Hank

Thanks for the kind words!

This is just in time. I need to take my parts back and swap out for right ones. I've got 99 harness which is two wire and small tooth. I bought three wire and half moon. Are there part numbers for the two wire sensor and small tooth syncro. Will that melling oil pump shaft work or will I need a different one as well?

I did a little searching, it looks like the 3.8 Mustang changed from 3 wire to 2 wire the same year the Explorer did: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/s...&year=1999&make=Ford&model=Mustang&vi=1354722
I think your oil pump shaft should still be fine.

mattt

Bronco Guru
For those of you looking to run 351w, here is the applicability for the camshaft position sensor and the camshaft synchronizer. Thanks pa69broncoguy for helping me sort this out.

Click on the part number below (Motorcraft (Ford)) and it will link you to Oreilly Auto. Scroll down and click on the COMPATIBILITY tab to see the applicable vehicles.

Camshaft Sensor (3-wire) DU-57 (12A112)
These sensors are plentiful and should be on the Explorer from which you pull the harness as well as a long list of other vehicles. Keep in mind there is a 2-wire and a 3-wire sensor and I have not confirmed if they are interchangeable among synchronizers as shown in the post below.

Camshaft Synchronizer (matched to 3-wire sensor) DA-2096 (F6TZ-12A362-CB)
Interestingly, these synchronizers are available on both the 3.8 and 4.2. EFIguy can modify programming for to account for a 2-wire if needed. Per pa69, make sure you test the rotation of the synchro from the junkyard as a common problem is to have a tight spot.

The longer oil pump driveshaft is Melling IS-84A

The collar to adapt the synchronizer to the 351w has no easy solution. So far, folks have had to a custom adapter produced at a machine shop. I am still wanting to have it done on a 3D printer!!!

If there is a Ford Parts guy out there that cares to confirm this info, please do. I do not entirely trust Oreilly Auto's site, but it is the best resource I have for crossing applications.

:cool:

Am I reading this correctly that there is a factory application for a cam position sensor from a 6 cylinder that will drop right in and work in a 351w? I always thought you had to take an Exploder cam position sensor and modify/retrofit(meaning swap shafts in the cam position sensor) it with a 3.8L or other 6 cylinder shaft?

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Am I reading this correctly that there is a factory application for a cam position sensor from a 6 cylinder that will drop right in and work in a 351w? I always thought you had to take an Exploder cam position sensor and modify/retrofit(meaning swap shafts in the cam position sensor) it with a 3.8L or other 6 cylinder shaft?

The current solution is to use a 3.8 cam sensor with an adapter collar.

collar.jpg

Casey835

Here are the part#s for synchro and sensor for the 2 wire explorer harness.
a4a9a3ab.jpg

Last edited:

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
Shipping out my harness and computer today. It may take me a while before I can install it but at least I'm making progress towards getting EFI.

Garfield

Egr delete

I'm doing my first engine swap and first time with efi. Doing mass air, edelbrock performer intake, painless efi harness. I'm not going to put the egr on - so my questions are: 1. I assume I need the egr block off plate and 2. How do I detune the egr from the computer or keep from having a perpetual check engine light & rough idle issues.

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
I'm doing my first engine swap and first time with efi. Doing mass air, edelbrock performer intake, painless efi harness. I'm not going to put the egr on - so my questions are: 1. I assume I need the egr block off plate and 2. How do I detune the egr from the computer or keep from having a perpetual check engine light & rough idle issues.

I assume that if you are using a painless harness then you are going to be running Mustang EFI on an Explorer motor, not Explorer EFI?

As far as EGR goes:

You can remove the EGR elbow altogether and mount the throttle body directly the intake. That requires a little fab work for a throttle cable bracket.

Or, you can use a Mustang type EGR spacer and block off plate with a Mustang throttle cable bracket.

I can handle the tuning on both Mustang and Explorer computers, or you can do the EGR eliminator / resistor trick (for Mustang EFI).

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Does the explorer eec control variable or multi-speed cooling fans? If so, how and can you modify trigger points?

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Does the explorer eec control variable or multi-speed cooling fans? If so, how and can you modify trigger points?

I have the ability to change quite a few parameters for dual speed fan control in the Explorer calibrations. All of the software code is there in the PCM.

However, the hardware to support fan control is a different story. I have only tried it on one PCM so far and could not find any extra pins that were energized when I turned the fans on.

It could be like the Mustang PCMs where some have the needed hardware and some don't. Or it may be possible that none of the Explorer PCMs have fan control hardware. The only way to know for sure is to test the PCM you want to use to find out.

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
I don't remember, but I should have added it to my notes for future reference.:(

chuzie

Bronco Guru
If you are running a 98 or newer trans I'll need to re-pin the solenoid connector on the trans harness, but that's easy enough. You will need to run the 12 pin range sensor and a 3 pin cam sensor.

Your PCM will need to be a 98. Look for either an NRT1 or PCC1 code on the PCM.

Just to clarify on computer codes, is it the year of the harness that dictates what computer code we need?

Since my harness is a 98, I assume I am limited to NRT1 or PCC1. Is there any possibility of making any other codes work?

I have yet to find one of those codes and am now concerned about readily available supply in a pinch.

I guess what I am really asking is what are the differences and limitations among the variety of computers from 96-01?

Thx