• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Broncoski ( My Build Thread)

OP
OP
N

Nowik35

Big weekend just passed. So I decided the body is way above my skill level. I was scared to spend all that money on a new body and screw something up. Anyways my friend was up for this challenge. So he took my body today and hopefully will have it all fixed up for spring. I can't wait to see the final product.
20181014_170003_zps11bdekfi.jpg

jmhend

Bronco Guru
amazing job, I have seen people trash frames that had less rust than yours. Nice to see someone willing and able to bring it back to life.

OP
OP
N

Nowik35

So this milestone is a tough one. Doing the whole drivetrain. First was breaking everything down, derust it and rebuild everything. I decided to rebuild this transmission first. I did it with the broncograveyard rebuild kit. I took everything apart and washed all the parts. Must of put it together 3 times. I hope I never have to rebuild one again. After this transmission I hate snap rings!!! Knuckles destroyed and like 2 sets of snap ring pliers from harber freight broken. But job finally complete!!! Dana 20 next.
Photo%20Editor-20181103_175758_zpsjtkvgkfv.jpg

OP
OP
N

Nowik35

Now it was time to rebuild the Dana 20. Also from bronco graveyards I got the rebuild kit. First was disassembly. I assume I was the first person to open that case since 1969 because I had to pick out the gear oil with a fork. (Not really) but it was very black as seem in the pic below. Washed all the parts. Oh ya word of the wise remember there's a snap ring on the front drive output shaft!!! I learned the hard way. Everything went back together nicely. Expert the idler shaft I forgot one needle bearing so I had to tear it apart again. Now I'm a TC expert. Everything torqued preloaded and painted ready for assembly of whole drivetrain
Photo%20Editor-20181104_182104_zpsaw41mh4y.jpg

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Good deal.. How long it take y a

Now it was time to rebuild the Dana 20. Also from bronco graveyards I got the rebuild kit. First was disassembly. I assume I was the first person to open that case since 1969 because I had to pick out the gear oil with a fork. (Not really) but it was very black as seem in the pic below. Washed all the parts. Oh ya word of the wise remember there's a snap ring on the front drive output shaft!!! I learned the hard way. Everything went back together nicely. Expert the idler shaft I forgot one needle bearing so I had to tear it apart again. Now I'm a TC expert. Everything torqued preloaded and painted ready for assembly of whole drivetrain
Photo%20Editor-20181104_182104_zpsaw41mh4y.jpg

OP
OP
N

Nowik35

About a week. With this wife micro managing how much time I can spend in the garage ����

OP
OP
N

Nowik35

This is my final update for the season. Here in the new England states I don't have the privilege of good weather to work in the winter and my garage is too cold. Anyways I have completed the whole drivetrain rebuilt and assembled. All gears switch like butter and TC switch works through all the settings. Driveshafts rebuilt. Biggest pain in the ass. My front is a BW shaft so finding replacement u joints was a nightmare. Anyways here's some pics until spring!
Photo%20Editor-20181117_164220_zpsaqragdxh.jpg

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Nice man... Enjoy the hibernation..

here's to a quick winter

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I was like you and after the first year of hibernation I couldnt stand not working on it. The following winter I made a half ass attempt at sectioning off an area of the barn with sheets of plastic. I could heat it in order to work on it but it was still pretty cold. The next winter I went all out and insulted the walls and ceiling. Best decision I made! You may get the itch, but overall nice progress!

IMG_0604.jpg IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_2254.jpg IMG_2317.jpg

OP
OP
N

Nowik35

I happy to bring everyone another update. All though it's freezing up here my friend who is doing my body has a heated garage so he's making lots of progress. Here's some pictures of his work. He's really passionate to keep this bronco as original as possible so he's keeping as much of the original body as he can without replacing and it's coming out really good!
Photo%20Editor-20190126_153414_zpsaq4vehs7.jpg

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
You got a good friend there. He will probably hate you after this project. Giving a person Broncoites is a serious mental aliment known to last a life time.

OP
OP
N

Nowik35

So I finally finished rebuilding the orginal 170. I have replaced
Cam bearings
Main bearings
Rod bearings
Piston rings
Oil pump
Fuel pump
Water pump
Harmonic balancer
Distributor
Alternator.
Block and head surfaced
Valves lapped
Cylinders honed.
Everything back together assembled and torqued to spec but I'm not celebrating yet because I have no idea if it will run. But I really enjoyed rebuilding this engine. I learned a lot and appreciate this bronco that much more. If I fail getting this motor to work I'll just buy a crate motor but I'm really trying to keep this baby totally original. Here are some pics.
IMG_20190428_164627_910_zpsjpq27gh8.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nowik35

Almost 4 years later but I finally started working on this bronco again. So my friend who originally was suppose to do the body for me gave up bc it was to much to tackle. Which I can agree considering it took me 6 hours each door to line it up, on and off. But I'm excited and committed. The whole body is finally ready to be welded. Meaning I don't know if it was the right approach but I built the whole body with sheet metal screws and a few tacks here first before I weld it. Just because I saw YouTubers who welded things into position to really then had to cut things out. I attached a few pictures of my doors nice and square and the front grill lined up with the hood. Any advice how to approach the welding so nothing shifts on me?
https://flic.kr/p/2opqc92 https://flic.kr/p/2opkm4y https://flic.kr/p/2opqwvX https://flic.kr/p/2opo5ru

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Any advice how to approach the welding so nothing shifts on me?
Yeah, leave the screws!
Just kidding. I don’t really know all the ins and outs of body panel welding, so will leave that to the others. But I know that once you get the panel straight, it’s not always easy to keep them that way.
Whether welding them together, or just pulling them apart for paint, things like this do tend to shift.

Good luck!