• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Back yard find! The HMS/Sealund race bronco

OP
OP
Gud Racing

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru
She is a mess Todd. :-[ I think the bronco must have been in a hurricane flood. There was some of the smelliest water up to the top of the intake. I couldn't tell you how, but by the grace of God the motor was still free. I have spent the last few days just trying to get it cleaned up and all that fishy smelling water out.

DSCN0619-1.jpg

l_81634d9447ba482b8cc0e08a8b310dc1.jpg

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Keep em coming brother..! The blue wheels definitely don't got much Flair do they.. :(

66Bronco

From Hal Sealund

No,
The yellow bronco was John's personal toy, the Bronco had the Cobra 289 that had been used by him, combined into K BarS and then driven by Ray Harvick at Ascot Stadium. For the 1969 Baja race, it was painted yellow, Drick loved that color, and driven by Johnny Diaz and Dewayne Kennedy. Yes the front axle was taken out after they hit a buggy at Camalu. The rest of us hurried the 90 miles and with the help of some Mexican bystanders hoisted the old front end out and a new one was installed. John and some of the others took off by plane, but it was overloaded to the point that they came back down and threw out some unneeded items, including 5 gallons of gas to be able to take off safely. John drove that Bronco back from LaPaz. It was raced once more at Ascot then sold. I would like to know who has it.

I drove the HMS-Perry 200 C.I. 6 Bronco #254 back from La Paz in 1968. Dann drove again in the 1969 race #230, and after that race, I purchased it from Dann's Dad, Ed Perry. That should do it, but just so it is known, the yellow Bronco in question was not the HMS Bronco. It is fun trying to keep it all straight, but after 40 years? This is correct to the best of my knowledge, but don't ask me what I had for dinner last night!!! Best wishes,

Hal

Hal, great information. Thanks for sharing. I'd like to find the yellow KbarS too.

Here's a couple of pictures that Duane shared with me of both Broncos.

scan0006_ps-vi.jpg

scan0061_ps2-vi.jpg

Sadly Duane mentioned to me that Johnny Dias passed away earlier this year.

-Terry

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Good Pics Terry....!

Lot of progress there for a few Days Gud... ;)

OP
OP
Gud Racing

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru
found a pic of one of the last races if not "the" last race it raced. As a matter of fact it still has the #309 on it.

Picture127.jpg

Last edited:

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
i've got some shots of it from the late 80's when mark raced it in the hdra somewhere in my pictures. i'll take a look for them next time i get into those boxes.
they where more than likely mint shots or the race that used to come after the 1000. forgot the name right now..

neat to see it still lives. have you got hold of mark in vegas? i'm sure he has info & pics.

OP
OP
Gud Racing

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru
Mark Hutchins? No, I haven't contacted him. There were a lot of drivers but Ken and Greg Rice did most of the build. We have talked with Ken.

OP
OP
Gud Racing

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru
Yup, 351C.

I haven't spent any time looking up numbers. I have been too busy trying to get all the water out and get it cleaned up first.
I had a little set back last night. The oil pump is froze up. :-[ Well a least now I know why the distributor broke and what the lower end looks like! I also figured the pan was going to be a mess with rust. I drained about 4 gallons more of water out of the pan but, you'd never know it! :eek:
I sure would like to know what they put in this motor to repel the water like it did. ?:?

_MediaCard_BlackBerry_pictures_IMG0.jpg

OP
OP
Gud Racing

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru
For those of you that are wondering if this is really the same bronco. Look at the plate numbers from the Bill Stroppe/Hearst Picture and the Plate with Hal Sealund. The are the same plates.

No254-1.jpg

HearstBronco2.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I like the face full of dust in that first pic too! You could tell someone was having some real good ole clean fun in the great outdoors in that pic. Love seeing the old Gates XT Commando tires on those deep wheels too. Fun stuff.
Although, the helmet holders from the previous page are pretty darn cool too.

Paul

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
i have pretty much fallen in love with that thing. lol

i got some questions.

what size tires was it running?

gears??

whats that red round thing in the under the dash on the floor???

trans?

lift?

whats the full spec list on that thing?

pic's of the exhoust?

steering?

dash, did they make that dash or buy it?

i may want to copy it of some sorts, i always loved Baja,trophy truck's,rally racing. that Cinda of stuff. lol

you really are a lucky guy to get that. wanna trade? lol ;D

Last edited:

broncokak

Bronco Guru
This is a very cool thread! Nice find!

I like the hi-cut fenders. I like the style on your avatar Gud. Where can one find something like that?

Also, I have a very old (late 60's early 70"s) BGF tire that was the spare on my 68. Can't remember if it is a MT or not. I remember someone saying I should post it for sale because you just don't see tires like that around anymore. It's in good shape and holds air. I'll try and post a pic of it to see if it looks like any here.