• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Legal Issues with Beadlocks in CA?

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Only a few are "DOT Approved" but does that make them illegal? Big debate on that and it's usually up to local LEO enforcement. But with all the faux-beadlocks on the market it would take an officer who is a real off-road enthusiast to tell the difference.

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
There is a guy on Pirate4x4 offering a reward for anyone in the US that can show proof of a ticket or inspection rejection. No one has clammed the money yet.
I have not been able to find any laws in VA that prevent me from running them and have called a few inspection stations as well.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
couldn't split rims be considered bead locks?

May pops on a set of widow makers, don't see many of those anymore.

I would not call a split rim a bead lock. You can bridge the gap and look at a set of 3-piece rims as well. A center with inner and outer rims. Loose the bolts in the middle and the whole thing falls apart. What is so different about then then a beadlock?

Anyway the lack of DOT (Department Of Transportation) certification. Just think of how many of those one off wheels lack the same thing (those high dollar TV shows from a few years ago, Foose, Boyd, etc.).

So it lacks DOT. Just don't run them on a commercial vehicle that gets DOT insoections. Probably not a good to be running 80,000 pounds across state lines hauling nuclear waste on a federal project on these rims. But you are not dealing with DOT regulations for a personal vehicle.

I do remember the offer over on Pirate about producing a law that made them illeagal. Last I knew the offer still stood as no one could claim it. But that was years ago. So I guess it still stands.

fuzzy2133

Loc.
San Jose, CA
my 2¢

The only event I can think of for bead locks to become an issue is if a accident was caused by a bead lock rim failing. Chances are that a investigation might show that the owner was negligent in the maintenance of their vehicle and the bead lock did not fail due to its design or defect.

blubberfet

In Utah you will not pass safety with beadlocks. It says in the book to reject beadlocks.

1970mule

Bronco Guru
nope 100% illegal. i got stopped for my street locks. and then they let me go cause the dumb dumbs saw they were not the real deals.

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
It falls in a class called two piece or multiple piece wheels, which are not legal for the street. I will run mine until I can't afford the tickets.

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
It falls in a class called two piece or multiple piece wheels, which are not legal for the street. I will run mine until I can't afford the tickets.

tcb42

They are not legal in Ca. The way it was explained to me was converting a non bead lock rim to a bead lock one you must cut and flip the bead and weld it back on thus loosing the DOT approval. I have been using Trail Ready bead locks for nearly five years with no problem. Hell I even have Trail Ready stickers on my windows advertising the fact.

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Someone send me a link to the law or a copy of your ticket so I can claim the reward and finally buy my beadlocks. :)

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Would the H1 wheels be considered beadlocks?

Yes, they're beadlocks and they're DOT compliant due to their design. Hutchinson makes DOT compliant beadlocks as well, so they do exist, just not in the typical racing form that most people associate with "beadlocks". I'm toying with the idea of running some 17x9 Hutchinsons, but they're crazy $$$ :eek: