• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer OBD2 Harness Re-work

67mustang390

is there an easy way to keep track of threads like this that you'll want to easily find later. Maybe make your own files and keep links to these threads as you find them in personal files?

Thanks

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
at the top of the page Quick links. click on it. drop down menu go to subscribe threads.
first you have to subscribe to the thread look at thread tools click on it and drop down menu to subscribe to thread.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If that does not give you the options that you want, what with "edit folders" and stuff like that, most browsers have a "favorites" button as well. That's what I've used over the years, but it usually comes down to what you're comfortable with and how many subscriptions you actually have too maybe.

In my case, I've never gone into the edit-subscriptions menu so I should check that out because it might be cleaner and easier than my own "add to favorites" category.
Right now I'm subscribed to way too many threads in my general subscriptions, so would not even attempt to find an individual thread that was more than maybe just a few weeks old.
I'm not up to that at the moment!

Good luck.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You'll have to be WAYYYY more specific than that. Otherwise we have no idea what it is you're looking for, or what it is you're trying to do.
Do you already have EFI and need to fix a problem? Are you getting ready to install an EFI system? If so, which one and from what year?

Welcome to classicbroncos by the way!
But definitely insert more info here...

Paul

sarens

looking to connect with EFI Guy, tried email but his limit is exceeded, anyone know another method?

thanks

72pabronco

Ok Guys. I need of some help. Is there something I'm missing. I'm only getting 8 volts to the starter solenoid. Nss is working getting voltage to solenoid only in park and netural. But not enough to trip the solenoid. Is there something else causing the low voltage. My fuel pump is running would the computer cause a no start situation? Pink wire from explorer harness is on the red/blue from the start signal from the key. Red/blue from explorer is to the solenoid.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is your fuel pump running constantly? Or is it just priming for a second or two when you turn the key to ON, then stopping?

What transmission are you using? Out of my area on computer stuff, but if you're using a modern trans with lots of wires to the switch (range switch is it called?) then there may be something in the computer that can cause it. But if you're running an old C4 with just the simple neutral-safety switch, then there isn't really a connection from the computer. Just the ignition switch.

Did you backtrack to the switch? Is there 12v going to the switch, and if so are the NSS wires getting a full 12v out of the switch?

And finally, what Pink wire? An original wire from a Ford Bronco harness, or one from the EFIGuy Explorer harness? All the rest of the chassis wires original, or is the whole vehicle running new wires?

Good luck.

paul

72pabronco

The fuel pump is running constantly, but there's no fuel in it yet. Doing the final electrical test. It's a full explorer swap so the trans is a 4r70w. I haven't check the voltage from the switch. I guess that tonights chore.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Fuel pump running constantly is not a good sign. With the key on, it should cycle on, pressurize the line, and then cycle off until the engine starts...

Annnd fuel pumps don't like to run dry, moving fuel helps them stay cool.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What he said...
Whether the pressure builds up or not, the pump cycle is just a few seconds at the most. If it does not prime the first time, you can cycle the key between OFF and ON several times. But the pump stops on cue, pressure or not.

If the pump is new, then perhaps it's either defective (probably a common issue these days), there is an air-leak in the lines, or there is not enough fuel in the tank to start the siphoning.
How much gas is in the tank?

If it's an older pump, then it won't have liked to have been left sitting for long. If it was even just slightly used (a few thousand miles) and then was left to sit for three or four months, or longer, then the pump may have simply died an early death. They absolutely hate sitting unused in today's modern fuels with today's crappy pumps.

But the pump running constantly under computer control (or a lack thereof) leaves a high probability of bad capacitors at the very least.
Is it a new computer? A parts tore re-furb? One just recently re-done by Garry? If re-done that would be extremely unusual for it to be bad at first startup. Don't remember if that's ever happened here before in fact.
But if it was an older ECM and was just re-flashed for your use, it's entirely possible the capacitors were borderline already and simply didn't make the trip back and forth. I assume if they were bad before ten it would have shown up during testing unless a fuel pump circuit test was not part of the normal process.

On other forums there have been a rash of store-bought ECM's that didn't work right out of the box, and the replacements were bad within weeks, if not days. Not always the three main capacitors, but more often than not.

Paul

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
The fuel pump relay is grounded by the ECM. That’s the only relay that gets it’s ground from there. Double check your wiring.

Mark

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
are you still making harnesses? i know its 2021 now lol threads are kinda old

Welcome. He still is but,

Garry doesn't make a harness, he takes yours and modifies it. Then he can reflash your ECU. He has been 3-5 months out, last year I waited 3.5 month after striping my own harness down to bare wires and shipping it to him.

He is busy with a full time job, working on his own bronco, he does harness in the evening. Plus some tuning and troubleshooting here and there. I don't think he checks this site much.

76MaBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Massachusetts
Hey Gary,

I just picked up a '99 Explorer 5.0 and engine bay harness with the ML2-8A1A computer. I did not get the under dash harness. I also plan on using a manual trans.

How much to flash the computer to delete the PATS, emissions and trans?

Thanks,

Steve

GWBronco

Another satisfied customer!! started my 351W Bronco and drove it this weekend. Thanks Gary, I can't wait to get this thing in the woods again!

jmart52

What do I connect to to get hot in run and start? I can't find it in my notes.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Jedeka

Contributor
I watched the three YouTube videos that Gary did. I took notes as I watched the videos. Very helpful.