• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4r70w and explorer engine swap crossmember issue

Gpops

Swapping in the explorer and 4r70w combo with some crossmember issues. It seems the engine is angled towards the drivers side of the truck which isn't allowing the end of the trans to sit in the middle resulting in the crossmember being shifted two inches over on the drivers side and resting on the frame.

The engine is only resting on the engine mounts with the bolts not yet tight and I cant seem to shift the back end around. Can pry the rear but there is a lot of resistance and just snaps back to the drivers side. I'm using the Wildhorses extreme engine mounts. Is there any way the engine mounts could be out of alignment? I've got the short side of the crossmember on the passenger side which I think is correct.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Is this a 6-cylinder that was converted to V8 in the past? Frame perches may be in a little crooked.
The whole engine/transmission are suppose to be offset (about 2") to the passenger side. Are the mounts tight to the engine? A little wiggle room there can make for a lot of movment at the transmission. Might even have to open the holes a hair. The tolerances on these frames are not exactly tight to start with.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I had issues when I put my 302 with the stock trans, I took the motor mounts off and switched them from one side to the other, and it helped.

BroncoChicken

Had this issue on a friend’s rig. He had the crossmember installed backwards. Flip it around and it will pull it away from the drivers side.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In the past with the NV and AX setups, it seems that any offset was to the passenger side instead.

And while we hope that the Extreme mounts are made correctly, it's certainly possible that anything can be screwed up at one step or another. Do you have the old stock mounts still? You could certainly try swapping the Extremes from one side to the other, and if that doesn't work, comparing the old to the new.
But if the crossmember is backwards, that would certainly do it!

BroncoChicken, was it the crossmember that was holding the trans in the wrong location on your friend's rig? In Gpops case the transmission is naturally hanging closer to the driver's side due to that being where the engine mounts are aiming it.
Got pictures of this dilemma Gpops? Maybe swapping the crossmember in your case will line up the holes more easily?
If so then that might be the only thing it needs. I'm not sure which way the crossmember goes myself. I'll have to go read the instructions.
Is that something they're pretty clear on? Or is it one of those vague areas that instructions are known for?%)

Thanks. Sorry for the hassle, and delayed progress. Hope it's not the engine mounts giving you fits, but if it does turn out to be, we'll get a new set out to you right away.

Crossing fingers it's simple and you can get it buttoned up today though!

Paul

OP
OP
G

Gpops

Thanks for the replies everyone, I had taken a bunch of pictures during my tear down and lost the phone, so now i'm guessing or trying to search.

I think it might be just the cross member needs turning around. there does seem to be one side that is longer from the mount, I figured this side needed to be so to clear the front driveshaft.
4pnhJDS

Does it seem right that the Tcase is only a a few inches from the frame on the drivers side?
U8W6psf

If that doesn't work i'll swap the original mounts on the motor and see if the issue still remains.

Sorry my images don't see to want to link... Will try to fix this.

Attachments

• 20190120_150859.jpg
    20190120_150859.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 20190120_152324.jpg
    20190120_152324.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 92

BroncoChicken

The small holes for that small rubber bumper should face the t-case, not the transmission. My friend had the little bumper facing forward and we didn’t notice it until we had it “in place” and the bolts for his long arm mounts were hitting the t-case. Flipped it around and it moved the tail end of the assembly toward the passenger side a couple of inches. I hope this is your issue because it’s an easy fix. I didn’t realize how much it would shift the tail end over, it was more of a shot in the dark that ended up working.

OP
OP
G

Gpops

Thanks BC, I thought the hole for the bumper should face the rear based in pictures i could find and this is how I was trying to install it. I'm going to swap back to the original engine mounts and see what does to the situation.