• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EGR Delete with a C4

Mab1219

Hi,
I have a 73 California built Bronco, stock motor with the EGR valve mounted to a spacer between the intake manifold and carb and running a C4 trans. I bought a used Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and Carb from a member on the forum and am wondering if I can run the new set up without the egr spacer without any problems.....will my stock C4 trans have an issue with this as currently a vacuum line runs from the egr to the trans and another to the manifold itself. If this isn’t a problem, where do I run the trans line after I delete the egr? Is there an advantage to running the egr or not? There seems to be an over abundance of vacum lines on this stock motor. Smog is obviously not an issue for me so I’m looking to clean things up and make her run stronger.
Thanks so much for any input/advice on this. This forum is the best!!

tirewater

Contributor
Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
The transmission vacuum modulator should be connected to full manifold vacuum. You can run a direct line from the intake manifold to the transmission. Intake manifolds typically have a little vacuum tree at the back where you can connect the transmission to.

If you delete the EGR, you may want to invest in some block offs for the EGR ports on the cylinder heads. These sometimes come with the intake manifold gasket sets.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The C4 will work. Sounds like you have the dual port vacuum modulator. Probably best to swap that to the more normal single port modulator. Modulator will go to full manifold vacuum.

I think the dual port will work. Manifold vacuum to the outer port. Leave the inner port open to breath (don't cap). I think that is right, been too song since I dealt with that stuff.

Do you have the dual port vacuum advance on the distributor as well? That one I know better. The inner is left open and the outer gets ported vacuum. That is a vacuum port that is just above the throttle blade. Doesn't get vacuum at idle, but at part throttle cruise there is vacuum.

Lawndart

Loc.
My '73 has 2 steel lines from the rear of the intake to the modulator (originally 2-port) at the transmission. I still use one of these lines to a single port modulator.
All EGR stuff gone.