• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Thinking about going to Moab Bronco Safari

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Lucky... You will love it from all I've heard..

Always wanted to go to the Bronco Safari at Moab and the stars may align this year.
I'm not sure what to expect from the trails there. Several of you have rode with me at OCBR and Windrock. My Bronco is a 76 with 302, EFI, NP435, D20, ARB up front and Detroit in the rear. 3.5" SL and 1" BL. Running 37x14x15s IROCs on beadlocks. Thought about swapping on some 35x12.50R15s I have.
Any suggestions on how best to get setup for this ride would be appreciated.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Do it! The traction is so good out there you will be amazed at what you can climb. Couple that with the scenery and the people, it is a must do.
Have fun!

Look at you all active on CB and stuff :D

OP
OP
stout22

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
I'm building my "To Do" list to get ready.
Does anyone know when the registration will actually open? The website says "around 1 January".

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Does anyone know when the registration will actually open? The website says "around 1 January".

Seems like I should think hard about this trip too %):-X crap, just remembered wifey wants a vaca that time of year GO figure

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Seems like I should think hard about this trip too %):-X crap, just remembered wifey wants a vaca that time of year GO figure

just tell her she's going to an ancient beach with sand and dinosaur tracks;D There's even ancient sand dunes, posted above.

actually there is a lot more to do there than just wheel. The national parks are amazing, Canyonlands and Arches are right there, Mesa Verdi is less than 2-1/2 hours away Bryce is 3-4 hours away, the views, geology and history are very very cool all by them selves. There are boat tours, light shows, rafting, pretty much if it can be done out side its there.

and of course one side ways pic, posted from my computer no less......

Attachments

• IMG_1082.jpg
    IMG_1082.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1145.jpg
    IMG_1145.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4261.jpg
    IMG_4261.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 48

JSmall

Bronco Guru

I saw a post on FB this morning that said it would be open this week. See you there

69 Red Bronco

Bronco pictures from Moab. Beautiful place.

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1e0.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1e0.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 79
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_242.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_242.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 72

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I tried to convince my wife we needed a new truck to make this trip - that didn't work.

I haven’t given up on that one yet either LOL! My 1999 7.3L will get us there, just maybe not as quickly as the newer models. I’m on the fence whether to update it or not, but every time I lean towards selling it I hear about a 7.3 with 600k miles and still going strong.

ransil

Bronco Guru
its also a dry heat ..110 you don't think you sweated until you realize your deodorant gave out 3 hours ago.

leave a few day for sight seeing off the trails too.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
its also a dry heat ..110 you don't think you sweated until you realize your deodorant gave out 3 hours ago.

leave a few day for sight seeing off the trails too.

Yes and why I no longer go between mid may and Labor Day. 110 in a box canyon with no breeze is just hot, don't care who you are.

I prefer to combine the two, there are some really neat trails in the national parks. I usually bypass Canyonlands, its cool but is so spread out, its like going to the grand canyon. Dead Horse Point and Arches are spectacular.

JSmall

Bronco Guru
This is what I hope to do. Taking 6 days off just to drive there and back cuts into side excursions.

Last year I made the trip in a day and it took about 17 hours of driving. Same on the way back. This year I plan to break it up into two days. I'm guessing it's about 1500-1600 miles from AL?

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
its 900-1100 depending on which way I go from here. if its a short trip I'll leave at 2am and have supper in Moab. if its a week trip I'll slip out of work a little early and drive to NM and stay the night and go the rest of the way the following day, I have spent 4 days coming home though.

Stouts drive is 1600, no matter which route he takes

OP
OP
stout22

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
About 1600 miles from here. About 24 hours. All this is according to Google maps so I know its dead on!

I'm not sure if anyone else is coming from around here.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
About 1600 miles from here. About 24 hours. All this is according to Google maps so I know its dead on!

I'm not sure if anyone else is coming from around here.

How are you going, 40? When are you leaving?

Our plans are to leave early Saturday morning and go the south route through Atlanta to Birmingham and up to Memphis. If all goes well, make it somewhere between Tulsa and Oklahoma City on Saturday. Sunday will get us to Farmington, NM.

anythingford

Loc.
Dacusville, SC
Ill be jumping on this first time to moab wagon. its quite the haul from SC but its something ive been wanting to do for years. Im also bring dads rig out for him and mom, and my wife decided to come on this trip.

one of my many dilemmas: I run reds on beadlocks normally. I picked up some 38.5 TSL SX's for street tires around the house, but they are on none beadlock wheels. I saw your post yeller about never being single digits on air pressure. i know the reds arn't needed but my east coast thought process says i need beadlocks?

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
You should be fine, if you make the stop in Farmington it will hurt some, just from the level of difficulty but in Moab you won’t even notice it. Run the fronts at 12 and the rears at 8 to help when you really need it and you’ll be fine. The trails are more like cruising and enjoying the sights with the occasional obstical, much different than the creek beds and ravines we’re accustomed to.