• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

69 Steering wheel missing??

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
What else do I need to make the horn work on this '69 wheel and ring?

Attachments

• 69 Steering wheel.jpg
    69 Steering wheel.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 69 horn rring.jpg
    69 horn rring.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 44

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like you might need some of the horn contact bits in this kit here: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Horn_Ring_Contact_Kit_66-73/Bronco_Stock_Column_Parts
But don't ask me how to make them all fit together, because it's been way too long for me!

What does the backside of the wheel look like? Copper traces (two of them) in good shape? Turn signal cancelling cam still intact?

Good luck. Hopefully someone more familiar with the parts and how they go together than I am can lay it all out for you.

Paul

Skytrooper15

Loc.
Tuscaloosa,Al
I think you need that first kit that DirtDonk pointed you to since it says it replaces everything on the horn button.I see your contacts are pretty good so that first kit should do the trick but seems like something is missing maybe a metal ring that is pressed into the horn ring?I know you need the black plastic piece with three ears because that is what twist locks the ring to the wheel.Oh yeah,a spring is supposed to be between the steering wheel and horn ring.If you can wait until tomorrow and I will take pictures of mine since it is a 1970 model and put them up unless someone else can do it faster than then.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
Looks like you might need some of the horn contact bits in this kit here: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Horn_Ring_Contact_Kit_66-73/Bronco_Stock_Column_Parts
But don't ask me how to make them all fit together, because it's been way too long for me!

What does the backside of the wheel look like? Copper traces (two of them) in good shape? Turn signal cancelling cam still intact?

Good luck. Hopefully someone more familiar with the parts and how they go together than I am can lay it all out for you.

Paul

I think you need that first kit that DirtDonk pointed you to since it says it replaces everything on the horn button.I see your contacts are pretty good so that first kit should do the trick but seems like something is missing maybe a metal ring that is pressed into the horn ring?I know you need the black plastic piece with three ears because that is what twist locks the ring to the wheel.Oh yeah,a spring is supposed to be between the steering wheel and horn ring.If you can wait until tomorrow and I will take pictures of mine since it is a 1970 model and put them up unless someone else can do it faster than then.

As always, DD to the rescue!!!!! ;D I "think" the ring cam is intact, but I do need the contact kit. I have a friend who is donating a steering wheel for my '75 and I may see what the spring looks like. Paul, I'll appreciate the pictures. Those are worth a thousand words. I don't understand why everyone has to change out their oem wheels, when I got the '69 it was missing the complete steering column and the wheel. Thanks again to both of you and I away your pictures.

Skytrooper15

Loc.
Tuscaloosa,Al
Looks like to me that the first web address DirtDonk put in his message is the kit you need.The spring is 1 7/8ths in diameter,13/16ths in hight and is made of 1/8th inch spring wire but it doesn't take much pressure to squeeze it together.Hope this helps and good luck and if you need more pics I took some more.I agree with you that DirtDonk has all of his stuff together.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
Your measurements for the spring are just what I was wondering about. Perfect. Thanks to both of you. I'll order the kit and see if I have a spring like that.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just be aware that, as you can see in the listings, things changed between '73 and '74, so a '69 wheel will not fit on a '75 column, and vice versa.

I always liked the factory wheels too, but I can see one major reason for changing them out. And that is the size.
A large steering wheel and a 6-turn steering box make for some slow reacting inputs. A smaller wheel helps, where a 4-turn box is not in everbody's budget every time.

And the smaller wheels make it easier to get in and out of the Bronco when real estate between the wheel and the belly don't play nice.;D

Of course, some just change them because they thought it was cool. Until it wasn't...

Paul

Skytrooper15

Loc.
Tuscaloosa,Al
Paul is correct as usual about years that will fit on a 69 model.I tried to use a 73 year steering wheel and inside the steering wheel on my 70 model is a cup shaped piece of metal and the 73 had a smaller piece of metal that would not make contact with the horn contacts.I can make some pics of it and put them up if you need the 73 steering wheel pics.

OP
OP
B

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas

Just be aware that, as you can see in the listings, things changed between '73 and '74, so a '69 wheel will not fit on a '75 column, and vice versa.

I always liked the factory wheels too, but I can see one major reason for changing them out. And that is the size.
A large steering wheel and a 6-turn steering box make for some slow reacting inputs. A smaller wheel helps, where a 4-turn box is not in everbody's budget every time.

And the smaller wheels make it easier to get in and out of the Bronco when real estate between the wheel and the belly don't play nice.;D

Of course, some just change them because they thought it was cool. Until it wasn't...

Paul

Paul is correct as usual about years that will fit on a 69 model.I tried to use a 73 year steering wheel and inside the steering wheel on my 70 model is a cup shaped piece of metal and the 73 had a smaller piece of metal that would not make contact with the horn contacts.I can make some pics of it and put them up if you need the 73 steering wheel pics.

Thanks to everyone, I'm aware of the difference between the years. I took off a POS aftermarket wheel on my '75. Not wanting to put out around $400 for a new 75 setup I put on a steering from my '81 era Bronco. Yes, the horn on the wheel doesn't work. I was thinking about using the '69 wheel I just got until I can get down to a friend's place. He has one I can have for a 6 pack. Nice guy. I also have a '69 Sport that I'm building so the wheel will not go to waste. Heck, that rig didn't come with a column. I had a '66 column out of my '66 so it's going to the '69 3 on the tree. I bought all new shift linkages, rods etc to go back to oem with the '69. In the near future I'd like to put a column from a 84-91 F series in the 75. The wheel I have on there now will then match. All so confusing; isn't it? In the mean time I'll get the 75-77 wheel. In the end here's what I want to end up with. The '66 still has a smooth (shifter-less) column, '69 Sport will be using the '66 column 3 on the tree rebuilt and the 75 will have the later model F series (tilt) I already have an AOD in the 75 so that'll work out nicely. Then I'll have an extra 75 column. I can't die until I get all my vehicles done. I didn't even mention the '70 Chevelle I have in pieces right now or the fact that I just sold my 2400 sq ft garage and will be moving ALL this stuff to Texas.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
While that last message may have been a little scatter brained I have an excuse. We just got a full price offer on our house and it's going to be a MAJOR operation moving the stuff I keep. LOTS of stuff won't be kept. But the Broncos are going with us. Check non Bronco classified here on CB.com for an off road trailer I'm going to part with. And I did order the guts for the '69 wheel and the spring to match.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
Thanks to your information and the pictures that skytrooper posted the 69 Steering wheel is back together and functional. Thanks guys

Attachments

• 69 Steering wheel.jpg
    69 Steering wheel.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
B

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
Thanks to your information and the pictures that skytrooper posted the 69 Steering wheel is back together and functional. Thanks guys

Wrong picture. That's the wheel without anything. Here is the completed wheel.

Attachments

• 69 steering wheel.jpg
    69 steering wheel.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 7