Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 12/06/17, 12:56 PM   #16
73azbronco
Contributor
Too much time on my hands

Aridzona
Optimal for 1/4 mile or cruising and rock crawling?

All the designs are trade offs. I wager on a dyno you would be hard pressed to notice a difference at our user range. Heck, even the fitech stuff is just a little better than a regular carb, but gives you an easier start up. Many guys using the oem stuff are having issues now.

My only beef with OEM is cost to bring everything up to "as new" condition. I still may do this. But even then the A9L is on it's last days needs to be replaced with another type ECM. By the time you get done doing that and pay for a tune, your close to or above these new systems cost with no noticeable difference in performance.

73 Explorer , 347stroker, NV4500 D20, Quadrajet spreadbore with manual altitude compensation, 4.1 ARB, Moser CTM Currie, 78 FSB disks, 76 Tbird calipers. 3.5 WH suspension lift, 2" Body lift for NV clearance.

Build here:http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...69#post1759569
73azbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/17, 05:08 PM   #17
garberz
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Clear me a path...

Conejo Valley, Ca.

My Gallery
Garage
This thread is what makes the Explorer OBDII such a great alternative. For the cost of a FiTech electric carb, you could drive home an Explorer and dismantle it.

Mark

EFI, OBDII, 5.0, C4, AtlasII 3.8. 4.56's, Detroit's, 35's, Duff Long Arms, 5.5" coils w/adjustable mounts. 3" suspension lift.
garberz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/17, 07:56 AM   #18
englewoodcowboy
Contributor
Lick Creek Restorations

"The Duck"

Ceres, VA
Again you will get many differences of opinions on runner length etc. I try to design our systems based around actual useage, spend money where it does the most good etc. Worrying over exact length of runners etc. is merited however the difference in loss vs gain that you can actually notice and use are so minimal that it comes down to the spend and bottom line the look you are after. For me, I love the old school look of a big air cleaner and carb type setup so I migrate to the TBI systems for clean install and minimal visual impact. I'm sure the other systems work equally as well in an everyday use bronco. We are not blasting down a strip where we are trying to shave fractions of a second however we do want that seat of the pants dyno to be felt every time we mash the skinny pedal. Every step you take will have adverse effects somewhere else in the system. If you want that great lopey idle, you will sacrifice torque down low as well as smooth cruise quality, you have to figure on your end results that you will be happy with.

BoxWood Green Poly '73 (o===o) 347 Stroker, FiTech Go EFI, Explorer Serp, 2.5" WH SL w/Bilsteins, AOD, Hydroboost PB, TrueTrac LS Rear, 4.88 gears, 35" BFG ATKO2, F150 Front Disc Brake, Factory PS, Family Cage ctsy Nick's Trix, AC, Stereo System, PWR Windows, Locks & Steps My Build.
englewoodcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/17, 12:01 PM   #19
73azbronco
Contributor

Aridzona
Quote:
Originally Posted by garberz View Post
This thread is what makes the Explorer OBDII such a great alternative. For the cost of a FiTech electric carb, you could drive home an Explorer and dismantle it.

Mark
And a 20 year old setup with the problems of a 20 year old setup.

I've looked at 30 or so explorers in junkyards here in AZ. Not one of them would I use the wire harness, injectors, sensors, pulleys, MAF, etc.

They are brittle, cracked, chaffed, exposed. Injectors/connectors crack when pulled. MAFs are worn out. Sensors are corroded. Engine control units are poor shape at best.

So you basically have an intake, and need to buy thousands in parts to make it work. I'm sure there is the grandpa's low mileage survivor out there which is in good shape, but none in any junkyard I've seen. Heck, I would say less than 1 out of 10 front dresses are usable.

73 Explorer , 347stroker, NV4500 D20, Quadrajet spreadbore with manual altitude compensation, 4.1 ARB, Moser CTM Currie, 78 FSB disks, 76 Tbird calipers. 3.5 WH suspension lift, 2" Body lift for NV clearance.

Old 12/07/17, 01:30 PM   #20
KyleQ
Bronco Guru

1 Ton 74'

Twin Cities
Garage
That is because you are in the oven of the US - stuff up here is perfectly fine in the yard for the most part. I'm still using the original fan, clutch, water pump (ya, I didn't even replace that) and alternator fro the "crap" I pulled out of the yard. The only thing I ha had to replace was the bearings on the pulleys, but I'm thinking my sand blasting them for paint had more to do with that than anything else.

The FiTech is a great option for that original look and fairly simple install. I love the Ford EECIV stuff too, it isn't all that complicated in direct wiring hookup, but the complexity of the MAF and sequential injection coupled with the ignition systems can look daunting, but in reality it isn't.

It all comes down to your capability and parts sourceability.

74' Bronco -Fi-Tech Injected 357W - Twisted Demon C4- AtlasII 3.8 - D60/D70 - PSC Full Hydro - 5.5" lift - Cage Arms, Coils and Shocks - F-O-A 2.5" Air Bumps - 43" TSL SX on H1 Double Beadlocks

74' Bronco Ranger - Street Build in Progress (351W/ZF5/NP205)
KyleQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/17, 07:30 PM   #21
73azbronco
Contributor

Aridzona
I wish sometimes I was up there, just not Dec-April

Old 12/08/17, 06:24 PM   #22
WheelHorse
Bronco Guru

There's Classic Bronco's, and the imitations that follow!

Chi-Town
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73azbronco View Post
And a 20 year old setup with the problems of a 20 year old setup.

I've looked at 30 or so explorers in junkyards here in AZ. Not one of them would I use the wire harness, injectors, sensors, pulleys, MAF, etc.

They are brittle, cracked, chaffed, exposed. Injectors/connectors crack when pulled. MAFs are worn out. Sensors are corroded. Engine control units are poor shape at best.

So you basically have an intake, and need to buy thousands in parts to make it work. I'm sure there is the grandpa's low mileage survivor out there which is in good shape, but none in any junkyard I've seen. Heck, I would say less than 1 out of 10 front dresses are usable.
Well factor in the rust belt as having the same issues. I just don't see the point in buying a truck with 180K on it and swapping in all that high-mileage crap.

Kate - '77 Ranger, AT, PS, PDB, AC
She'll do the ton
WheelHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/17, 07:51 PM   #23
garberz
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Clear me a path...

Conejo Valley, Ca.

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelHorse View Post
Well factor in the rust belt as having the same issues. I just don't see the point in buying a truck with 180K on it and swapping in all that high-mileage crap.
I set this one up, Explorer 5.0 and 4R trans. 195,000 mi. Itís been on the road for 2 years now. As many mi. It gets driven every year, Itíll be good for a few more years. Iíd use that time as a shake down then go through the motor and trans as needs be. Thatís worked out fine so far. These arenít customers spending big $ on high dollar builds, just brothers in our group getting their builds headed in the right direction.

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 654B5E38-6221-4805-9991-DEA366D53033.jpg (155.3 KB, 21 views)

EFI, OBDII, 5.0, C4, AtlasII 3.8. 4.56's, Detroit's, 35's, Duff Long Arms, 5.5" coils w/adjustable mounts. 3" suspension lift.
Old 12/08/17, 08:00 PM   #24
Skiddy
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Lookin at yer booger welds

Shawnee, OK

My Gallery
Garage
just wondering, has anyone added up the cost for all new parts for factory efi? that are available anyway

Tried True Ford Blue RIP my brother Mstark
74 Bronco with Mustang 5.0 EFI w/painless harness, C4, 4.56 gears, D20 twin stick, 35's, 2.5" SL, 3" BL, rear spool, Grizzly front locker D44, full cage, 5pt harness. bla bla
Skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/17, 08:25 PM   #25
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
Not to the penny, but between the top end bolt on parts and the serpentine setup and running a distributor instead of the DIS, I have about the same amount of money into a Ford EFI setup as I would in a modern new TBI.
Not including any new sensors or the wiring harness yet. Or a roller cam and conversion if you were so inclined.
I'm sure some are less now, but 10 years ago a friend bought a low-mileage Mountaineer motor and distributor from the local Pick-n-Pull for $1000 plus what we had to give for the RJM harness and a few new sensors. So at least he got the whole engine. Today the whole vehicle is less than that!

That's given the prices of parts in junkyards around here. Most areas are probably less, but you literally pay for every nut and bolt and stud and pulley and wheel and bracket and upper and lower intakes and all of that as individual pieces.
I almost said forget it even after pulling all the parts. Still really wanted to try the factory stuff though, so got it anyway.

Your results may vary of course. And nowadays a complete Explorer is probably less than just the few components necessary if you bought them separately from a local Pick-n-Pull. Other regions that still have a proprietor that says "well, that'll be about $100 for the lot" would likely net you all that you needed short of any needed sensors or wiring for MUCH less than purchasing a new TBI.
But not around here.

Paul

'71 Wagon, 3.5" WH, F150 disc brakes and steering, 4.11 33x11.50 Thornbirds, Kayline soft top, Hanson bumpers. "Built, not bought"

'68 LUBR, 2.5 + 1 WH, 31x10.50, 4.56, Explorer and 4R70w by EFI Guy, WH disc brakes, Hanson front bumper, Warn winch. "Bought, not built"

www.wildhorses4x4.com
DirtDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/17, 09:35 PM   #26
73azbronco
Contributor

Aridzona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
just wondering, has anyone added up the cost for all new parts for factory efi? that are available anyway
About $1,500 to $2,000 for all new OEM parts. Not including purchasing the upper/lower intake and front dress plus that stuff if you want to keep it all explorerish.

Old 12/10/17, 10:27 AM   #27
Bart
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Broncos Rule!

Victorville
I think that I went GM TBI about 10+ years ago. That's the oem version of the Holley Pro injection. That said my rig has been great for all those years of hard off road use. Places like Moab, Utah every year, Fordcyce creek, Dusy Ershirm etc. I'm just about done replacing the 351 with another rebuilt engine and the GM is going back to work. If it's not broke don't fix it.
I do have a Holley pro injection system I took off a friend's Bronco. He could never get it to run correctly. I traded him a Ford 2 barrel and he loves it.

66 w/ TBI 351W, AOD w/super coupe gears, "TRU HI 9" w/Detroit locker & 35 spline axles; 44 OX diff. 5.5" susp lift/1" body lift. 203/205 t-cases new sheet metal floors. 35" MTRs. Best top. Custom built spare tire rack. 5.13 gears.
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/17, 02:53 PM   #28
Crush
Contributor
Bronco Guru

"It's better to be dead and cool, than alive and uncool."

Greenbottom, WV
eBay: 5.8Bronco

My Gallery
Garage
how does the gm tbi install? can you run duraspark with it? does it control timing? tell us more. LOL!

76 Special Decore options are undecided it is a bare canvas. 77 Explorer with Special Decore Group, 5.8,M5OD 5 speed, 3.5" rancho lift and 1" wild horses body lift, cut fenders, original 15x36x15 Dick Cepek Fun Country tires and custom early 80's interior.
Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/17, 03:30 PM   #29
garberz
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Clear me a path...

Conejo Valley, Ca.

My Gallery
Garage
The GM and Howell are the same. They don't control timing, so you can still run the Duraspark.

Mark

Old 12/10/17, 11:40 PM   #30
Jamie Chriss
Contributor

San Clemente

My Gallery
Edelbrock Pro-Flo 3 EFI Systems - this baby almost doubles the price, but it seams to answer allot of questions.

I have nothing against the Ford OEM fuel injection personnally but these new systems are so clean looking!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg side-2.jpg (36.8 KB, 20 views)
Jamie Chriss is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech