• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Guidance on WH power brake kit

KeithKinPhx

Since I have everything torn out of the engine bay I got to thinking instead of putting the stock brake cylinder in I might want to upgrade now.
Anyone have experience with this kit?

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/produ...Master-Cylinder-Burnished/Bronco_Power_Brakes

Can I use temporarily with my four drum set up? Budget won't allow disc conversion now. Will only be going disc in front when I do.
What other items will I need to buy to make it work?

I have a 68 U15 LUBR which was completely stock until I disassembled over the past 30 days. I am cleaning up the engine bay. Adding lots of bling but hiding wires. I think the look of the Wildwood master and chrome booster will look good with my aluminum valve covers, intake, pulleys and water pump. I will probably paint the braket Peacock Blue like the firewall, no more black in bay than necessary.

Any help, guidance or warnings appreciated.
Thanks in advance. Keith

Last edited:

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Keith,
Welcome to the addiction! I'm sure that kit would be great but if it were my penny, I'd save up a few more dollars and go with a hydro booster setup. And rear drums will be just fine. I'm sure others will chime in..
Happy Turkey Day!
:cool:

OP
OP
K

KeithKinPhx

Thanks Chris but no power steering so no hydro boost. :(
Got pick my battles. I would be easy to build a rig like Icon if I had an unlimited budget.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes you can use it Keith. Consider the "power" and the "brakes" as separate systems. One does not require the other, nor does one preclude the use of the other.
Most will add the disc brakes first either because they just want the discs, or because they're working on the brakes initially anyway. But there are plenty of members here that have installed power assist first. Just because, like you, that's where they were in the project.

You will notice a difference, but not get the full effect until you get the more consistent braking of the discs. Not in power (because drums are fairly powerful already) but in equal pressures side to side.
The drums require a lot of periodic maintenance and adjustment unless you're one of the lucky ones who's self-adjusters actually work! Unlike many of ours which don't.

So go for the power first, if that's the way it's working out.

Paul

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Keith,

I know budgets are tight, mine too. But I don't think there's a rule that you must have a power steering box to run a power steering pump IF it's going to operate the hydro booster. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong : )

My stock pump, bracket and pullys didn't cost that much used on here. And I'm running a single return pump with both power steering and a hydro booster.

I did try running vacuum booster set up when I first got my Bronco but my engine didn't make enough vacuum to get more that one pump on the pedal before it went powerless. I even tried a vacuum canister and it wasn't much better.

That's it, that's all I got for tonight.

Zzzzz.... good luck and may the stopping force be with you.
:cool:

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I already had PS. I added the WH front disk brakes, rear drums, and power brakes. Very happy.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA

Attachments

• 18194_14609_popup.jpg
    18194_14609_popup.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 18194_14612_popup.jpg
    18194_14612_popup.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 18194_14610_popup.jpg
    18194_14610_popup.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
K

KeithKinPhx

I'm interested. I'll call tomorrow for more details because I want the chrome booster and polished master which are not listed options on the webpage (yet). Like the adjustable valve being near the master rather than something down on the frame rail and the flexible stainless steel lines too. Is the hard line to the firewall included?

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
I'm interested. I'll call tomorrow for more details because I want the chrome booster and polished master which are not listed options on the webpage (yet). Like the adjustable valve being near the master rather than something down on the frame rail and the flexible stainless steel lines too. Is the hard line to the firewall included?

Right now the vacuum tube is all rubber. We are going to include the 3/8" hard line and clamp very soon. Just waiting fir the pre-bent tubes to arrive. We will also make options for the chrome booster and polished master.

Jim

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Keith I bought the above kit, looks like it's going to work real nice. I particularly like the frame mounted soft to hard line bracket which was a sticking point on my build.

OP
OP
K

KeithKinPhx

I ordered the Moab kit with the chrome booster and burnished cylinder. It should look really awesome under the hood.
Oh and yes my Bronco may actually stop in a reasonable distance. You know that whole safety thing. (And safety justifies the expense to my wife)
So appearance, functionality and economically justifiable. Triple winner.

I'll post a video on YouTube when I do the install. Rising Phoenix Bronco.