• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replaced rag joint

crikard

Hey guys. I just bought a 74 and my rag joint broke. I replaced it last night with a new one from Wild Horses. However, it appears to me that the lower steering shaft is not sitting up in the joint as far as compared to the old one. I would say it is in the rag joint maybe 3/4". Did I do something wrong, are there different sized rag joints or is that enough?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Did the coupling bolt go through the clearance groove in the spline'd shaft so it can't pull out?

OP
OP
C

crikard

The rag joint did not go past the threaded piece of the lower shaft. Is the clearance groove the smooth part below the groves? Thanks for help guys.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
First hearing the original broke is pretty alarming. Why did it brake? Is there a body lift on this Bronco? If so you really need to go with a double jointed slip shaft. WH #2161 would be my suggestion.

The rag joint should be 3/4-36. On a stock 74 the joint attaches to the lower shaft splines and the bolt sits in the groove.

As Paul ask pics would be very helpful.

Jim

OP
OP
C

crikard

Took it to a local shop here in town that specializes in restoring older cars. They said the same thing you guys are saying. The lower shaft was not in far enough but they were more concerned as to why the joint broke in the first place. Thanks for the help.