• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power Steering Fluid

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Redline is what PSC Motorsports recommends for all of its systems, as does Paul at Hydratech (who also likes the Royal Purple product). I've never heard anyone have anything bad to say about the Redline product, and it's been around a long time and used in just about every imaginable type of configuration.

Sounds like Redline is a good fluid to use. Paul at Hydratech also recommends the GM Power Steering fluid for his systems (what GM spec'd for those systems as well) and Tom Lee always specified GM Power Steering Fluid too.

Todd Z.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think PSC recommends Swepco as thats what they sold me for the sag pumps I bought from them.

Red line is good stuff as well.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
You might say it's subtle, but that says "approved" PSF, which as your 2nd pic shows, means GM/ACD PSF. Not generic "power steering fluid" which is what I'm trying to convey should be avoided: the parts-store-branded bottles that say (sometimes in the fine print) "stops leaks". That crap destroys seals with a quickness.

Ford PSF is either Type F ATF, Mercon/MerconV ATF, or (more-recently) "Power Steering Fluid" (which is actually just a small bottle of MerconV). Mopars commonly use PSF+4 (which is ATF+4); many European cars use Pentosin...

None of them recommend a generic "power steering fluid".

BTW (not that I recommend it)
Here's Red Line for $14/qt, or $10/qt if you buy a case.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Sounds like Redline is a good fluid to use. Paul at Hydratech also recommends the GM Power Steering fluid for his systems (what GM spec'd for those systems as well) and Tom Lee always specified GM Power Steering Fluid too.

Todd Z.

He did, until he started selling his own.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I'm doubting that the MOPAR fluid is relabeled ATF since their own Service Manual specifically says not to use ATF and the MOPAR product that I bought is clear - not red.

In the big picture I don't think there's that much difference between ATF & PSF, but there must be some or they wouldn't go to so much trouble. However, as previously stated when a warranty is in the balance use what the company behind said warranty says to use. They will deny a claim on the smallest pretense, so don't give them that.

I use Redline lubricants in my lone T-5 transmission (Dexron ATF is spec'd), the Toyota manual trans', and every project vehicle's axles, and have done so for the last almost 30 years. Prior to that I used SWEPCO when I could get it. Redline is easier to find in this area than SWEPCO or I might never have switched.

PaveBronco

Been doing my research after installing a PCS pump to see what to use, the recommended SWEPCO is not cheap $60 for 4 quarts, and then there is some kind of prep flush they want you to use. the tag from my pump says Swepco 715 (PSC) or GM/AC Delco PN 89021182 which isn't much cheaper but I figure maybe its more available. Anyone using the GM/AC Delco fluid in a PCS pump?

Attachments

• PSC Tag.jpg
    PSC Tag.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 14

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Do not use ATF as it is more combustible than synthetic ps fluid This has been recommended for a long time. Use synthetic ps fluid as it requires a much hotter source to get it to burn than ATF. Since our p/s pressures are 800-1500 psi the oil will be vaporized making it flash quicker/easier also...

Most places recommend never using old school ATF because who wants a fire under the hood right????

Correct me if I'm wrong... but all fluids will flash if the heat source is hot enough, but lower the odds guys...don't run ATF

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Been doing my research after installing a PCS pump to see what to use, the recommended SWEPCO is not cheap $60 for 4 quarts, and then there is some kind of prep flush they want you to use. the tag from my pump says Swepco 715 (PSC) or GM/AC Delco PN 89021182 which isn't much cheaper but I figure maybe its more available. Anyone using the GM/AC Delco fluid in a PCS pump?

PSC recommended that I use Royal Purple. I've been running it for over 10 years but I tried another oil they recommended which was a "low temperature" GM low temp oil used in cold climates-specifically Canada/Alaska etc... it was ridiculously expensive from GM without helping my problem which is NOISE generated by the pump when it is cold.

Drives me nuts...takes about a minute to quit making a racket, then it's fine until it cools down to 40F or lower again. PITA when we get months of temps when we won't even have a high of 40-45deg... : (

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I agree with nvrstk, use PS fluid in systems designed for it - not ATF. Buy the good stuff, it's not like you're changing it every 3,000 miles or something.

The exception is that all of my yota PS system's specifically call for Dexron II or better ATF. The Bronc-up has a yota box on it, but I'll be using Redline or similar PS fluid in it.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Yup....Red Line is "the shit to get"...
Not always easy to find at brick and mortar stores....mostly @ Hot Rod Shops and the like......
One of my local CarQuest stores stocks Redline. Might be worth checking if yours does too. Otherwise I order it from Summit.

ame

Do not use ATF as it is more combustible than synthetic ps fluid This has been recommended for a long time. Use synthetic ps fluid as it requires a much hotter source to get it to burn than ATF. Since our p/s pressures are 800-1500 psi the oil will be vaporized making it flash quicker/easier also...

Most places recommend never using old school ATF because who wants a fire under the hood right????

Correct me if I'm wrong... but all fluids will flash if the heat source is hot enough, but lower the odds guys...don't run ATF

I am putting a PSC kit on my truck tomorrow , 06 Cummins, that specs ATF for the P.S and I am running Amsoil ATF, Looking at the flash points the Amsoil ATF is actually much higher then AC Delco PS fluid. Amsoil ATF is 453 deg while AC Delco is 347 deg.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Some PS systems spec ATF, others do not. Run what is spec'd, NOT what the internet says "will work." Hell, I've seen brake fluid used in an auto trans. It worked for long enough, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

Yeah, ATF will work to get you home. If it isn't what the mfg calls for don't use it unless an emergency.

There's always that guy who says "I've always used ATF, never had a problem." I don't believe him. He's had a problem or more than one, he just didn't realize what the cause was, or that it was a problem.

If the mfg of the system thought ATF was suitable they used it or listed as such. If they didn't then it wasn't listed. Those listings aren't by accident nor are the people doing that work stupid.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
>>>>>>>>>>
743d6a905d9e96e259f8b3bbf9418690.jpg
19582-2.jpg

ame

Some PS systems spec ATF, others do not. Run what is spec'd, NOT what the internet says "will work." Hell, I've seen brake fluid used in an auto trans. It worked for long enough, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

Yeah, ATF will work to get you home. If it isn't what the mfg calls for don't use it unless an emergency.

There's always that guy who says "I've always used ATF, never had a problem." I don't believe him. He's had a problem or more than one, he just didn't realize what the cause was, or that it was a problem.

If the mfg of the system thought ATF was suitable they used it or listed as such. If they didn't then it wasn't listed. Those listings aren't by accident nor are the people doing that work stupid.

Sounds easy in theory but when the vehicle manufacturer spec one thing and PSC specs another then it not so simple as "Run whats spec'd". The main thing I have read about ATF in PS systems is that it has a lower flash point but the Amsoil is acutely higher and in my case the pump, Hydrboost and box are all spec'd for ATF I dont see why adding a cylinder will change anything.

Oh if anyone needs somthing from PSC they are having a big sale, All the Dodge stuff is $500 off so a hydro assist kit for my truck with new box was $720 so good time to buy if anyones looking.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
It is dead simple.

If PSC built the system then run what they say to run.

If Ford built the system then run what they say to run.

If PSC built the pump and Ford built the box, and their specs conflict, then ask PSC to warranty the box run with their spec'd fluid.

ame

It is dead simple.

If PSC built the system then run what they say to run.

If Ford built the system then run what they say to run.

If PSC built the pump and Ford built the box, and their specs conflict, then ask PSC to warranty the box run with their spec'd fluid.

So you think PSC would warranty a pump, and hydro boost unit if I use the fluid they want to see in the box and ram? Admittedly I have not tried but highly doubt they would warranty any components that are not theirs plus any issues could evolve over time and may not appear for a year or so.

Looking at all the different specs I am going to stick with the Amsoil ATF as I have not found any reason to buy another fluid and flush the whole system.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I highly doubt that they would too, but asking them to do so would force them to resolve the conflict, or to tell you not to use those parts with their parts (which would clearly not be acceptable).

ATF also has agents in it to swell the seals that PS fluid may or may not have. That is why an old school trick to get an engine seal to work again involves adding a quart of ATF in place of a quart of engine oil. Assuming PSF doesn't have those agents, and I've no idea, then using ATF in a system not designed for it will result in excessively soft seals. Not a good thing.

ame

I highly doubt that they would too, but asking them to do so would force them to resolve the conflict, or to tell you not to use those parts with their parts (which would clearly not be acceptable).

ATF also has agents in it to swell the seals that PS fluid may or may not have. That is why an old school trick to get an engine seal to work again involves adding a quart of ATF in place of a quart of engine oil. Assuming PSF doesn't have those agents, and I've no idea, then using ATF in a system not designed for it will result in excessively soft seals. Not a good thing.

I can see why using ATF in a system that was never design for it would be bad but dont see why one already running ATF should be changed just by adding a cylinder which is probably the least sensitive part of any hydraulic system in terms of oil.

I hope to get everything installed tomorrow and curious to see how it works out, never used hydro assist but couldn't pass it up for the price.