• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer Serp power steering hose pics please

kat

Loc.
Bristol
In the middle of my serp swap and trying to figure out the best way to route the high pressure side. It seems the best way to run it is in front of the pump/reservoir and maybe only a foot of hose is needed between the two hard lines. Want to see how everyone does it before I take it to the shop to make it. BTW Im going to use the original lower power steering hard line. Unless there is a better way..And this depends on the skill of the shop. Thanks a lot guys

On a side note, what is the size of the nut on the explorer pump....It seems to be millimeter

darkmagus

I'm interested in this too. My old setup was a Saginaw pump but for now I'll have to run the stock explorer pump. Trying to figure out what adapter I'll need to go from sag hose to explorer pump.

Berky

I don't know if this helps, but I ran the hose to the front over the pulley. With the 90 adapter that my shop used i have about 3/4" clearance between the belt and hose. It actually works quite well.

IMG_2553_zps07ptbnut.jpg

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
I am in the middle of this conversion and am converting to an -6 fittings. The tech write up below lists the an -6 fittings and hoses you will need. Including the steering box adapters. I found that the RUS-648060 metric an -6 pump adapter did not work, so I sent my C3 Explorer pump to Lee's to upgrade to hi output, and they installed their metric to an -6 adapter nipple. Great people at Lee's too!

http://classicbroncos.com/tech/explorer-5-0-serpentine-accessory-drive-belt-conversion

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Hydroboost or no hydroboost involved?

Attachments

• IMG_1792.jpg
    IMG_1792.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_1794.jpg
    IMG_1794.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_2154.jpg
    IMG_2154.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_2443.jpg
    IMG_2443.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_1795.jpg
    IMG_1795.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 187
OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Thanks guys, no hydro boost involved. Does anyone use the stock hard lines/fittings that are on each of the hoses?? When I talked to the shop yesterday he sounded like that is what he was going to do and just "crimp" a new hose in between the two different hard lines. I did explain that they were different sizes (old and new) but he said no problem as long as he had enough hard line to crimp to each side.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
I don't know if this helps, but I ran the hose to the front over the pulley. With the 90 adapter that my shop used i have about 3/4" clearance between the belt and hose. It actually works quite well.

IMG_2553_zps07ptbnut.jpg

Berky, how long is that hose?? It looks like it has a loop in it. When I measured mine the hose seemed to go straight to the lover line.. Just making sure I have the right idea

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
NAPA can get a crimp fitting to convert the gearbox end of the Explorer hose to a tubing size compression fitting. In my case I converted the sector end to 5/16" inverted flare tubing so it would fit the pressure side of the 4x4x2 box.

The part is Gates G25510-0605

Last edited:
OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
WOW...thank you for that....This might be cheaper than trying to get a hose made...I understand the whole cutting and flaring but confused about the correct fitting I need for my stock steering box. I see -6AN a lot when I search. So this is what I need??...The parts store that was going to make my hose might have the one Im looking for

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
NAPA can get a crimp fitting to convert the gearbox end of the Explorer hose to a tubing size compression fitting. In my case I converted the sector end to 5/16" inverted flare tubing so it would fit the pressure side of the 4x4x2 box.

The part is Gates G25510-0605

The parts guy said the last 4 numbers represent the hose and tubing size, in 1/16ths. The first two sequence numbers "06" is the hose size, the last two "05" is the tubing size. So 06=6/16ths (3/8") hose & the last two "05" is 5/16" tubing.
A 3/8 hose with 3/8 tubing would be part # 0606

This solved several problems for me, since the 4x4x2 box has lower ports and need a 90 degree tubing bend to turn it somewhere useful to align with the hose.
Whether you convert to -06, build a custom hose, or use this fitting, there has to be a conversion somewhere so I was able to move it inline instead of at the box. And it allows to clock the hose ends at the time of installation. My hose will loop behind the pump and A/C compressor.
I haven't ran it yet since it's on a project, still have to make the final installation plus solve the return line and cooler location, but in theory it should work;)

akirshbom

IMG_2553_zps07ptbnut.jpg

What upper radiator hose are you using in this pic?

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't think it would make a difference, but that is on a 351w.

dclack

WOW...thank you for that....This might be cheaper than trying to get a hose made...I understand the whole cutting and flaring but confused about the correct fitting I need for my stock steering box. I see -6AN a lot when I search. So this is what I need??...The parts store that was going to make my hose might have the one Im looking for

The pressure port threads in your box are not going to be -6; they are going to be SAE threads. What size depends on what box you have; according to the tech article some boxes have 1/2-20 and some have 5/8-18 threads. Just take your current hose with you and test fit it in some adapters until you find the right size.