• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hellwig Sway Bars/Krawlers Edge - Updated!

bajabronc

Loc.
West Hollywood
I have a 79 F250 box on my Stroppe mounted back farther on the frame with the pitman arm facing forward vs backwards, and I have Cage arms, would the setup work for me?

Attachments

• photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    129 KB · Views: 209

Bknaus

Loc.
Visalia, CA
I have a 79 F250 box on my Stroppe mounted back farther on the frame with the pitman arm facing forward vs backwards, and I have Cage arms, would the setup work for me?

Since we haven't tested it I'm not going to guarantee that it fits, but from looking at you pictures I don't see it having any problems. The sway bar turns up just after it passes under the forward body mount and I can't see the body mount in your picture for a good reference of where the steering arm is exactly but it looks like it is further back on the vehicle and plenty below the frame...

Bknaus

Loc.
Visalia, CA
Any info on fitting stock or 1-2" BLs?

A body lift will not affect the fit of the kit at all.

***EDIT: See post two below for new policy on stock height vehicles. There will a new part number for you guys coming soon! Thanks for hanging in with us while this line is developed and everything is worked out!

Last edited:

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A body lift will not affect the fit of the kit at all.

Right now the kit is for a slightly lifted vehicle but when you order it mention that the vehicle is stock and we will switch out the end links for slightly shorter ones when we put the kit together for you.

SPECIFY LIFT should be included in the first post. Will save you some hassle later on.

Bknaus

Loc.
Visalia, CA
Alright, after some discussion here we are pleasantly surprised in the interest in stock height vehicles. We assumed these sway bars would be mostly purchased by lifted vehicles and we could catch the couple stock height guys as they came, but with this much interest we are now going to make a different part number for the stock to 2" lift guys. The price should be the same or very similar since it is still using off the shelf parts. We are glad the stock vehicle's are recognizing it will help them too, because it will!

We already had sent a prototype out and that has been fitted on a stock vehicle so we will have that kit ready for you guys really soon. So for now I am retracting my previous statement and saying only buy this if you're lifted and hold off a few weeks if you're stock and we'll have something for you then. If you've already ordered it through Krawler's Edge for a stock vehicle, that's no problem, we can easily take care of you, just everyone else hold off a few weeks.

Also, right now we're assuming stock height will not need quick disconnects, are we correct in this assumption or are people taking their stock EBs offroad to the extent that they need that extra flex?

Once again, thanks for the feedback and keep it coming, you guys are really helping develop this new line for us. You're the experts!

tim70

Loc.
SF Bay, CA
Also, right now we're assuming stock height will not need quick disconnects, are we correct in this assumption or are people taking their stock EBs offroad to the extent that they need that extra flex?

I think there should be a quick disconnect option for the stock to 2" folks.

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
I'm very interested and have a few additional questions before dropping the hefty coin:
  • Which front sway-bar with disconnect end-links will work for 2.5" of suspension only lift? (I'm confused by the subject of 5.5" test truck lift versus stock up to 2" subject).
  • Will the kit work with a Dana-30 front end (for those really early EB's)?
  • Lastly, what is the turn-around time from order to shipping? Ben from Hellwig seemed to imply each kit is custom assembled per order(?) How much lag time does this introduce?

Thanks...

Bknaus

Loc.
Visalia, CA
I'm very interested and have a few additional questions before dropping the hefty coin:
  • Which front sway-bar with disconnect end-links will work for 2.5" of suspension only lift? (I'm confused by the subject of 5.5" test truck lift versus stock up to 2" subject).
  • Will the kit work with a Dana-30 front end (for those really early EB's)?
  • Lastly, what is the turn-around time from order to shipping? Ben from Hellwig seemed to imply each kit is custom assembled per order(?) How much lag time does this introduce?

Thanks...

The 7868 will work for the 2.5" of lift although any lower than that and I would say wait for the stock kit. The reason it will work on different lifts is because the kit includes adjustable end links with two pieces that thread together with a jam nut allowing you to lengthen and shorten the end link a couple inches to adjust for your specific vehicle. You can see these really well in the pictures of the install on Page 1. The Hellwig test vehicle (as opposed to the Krawler's Edge one) has only about a 3.5" lift and there was still room to adjust the end link shorter.

The kit will definitely work for the earlier Dana 30 front ends. It was first developed on our 1968 EB which still has the stock 30.

We keep the components in stock in our warehouse but build/box the kits as they are ordered so it should not add a significant amount of lead time to the order.

Let me know if you have any more questions or if any of that was unclear!

Bknaus

Loc.
Visalia, CA
From the looks of it, this doesn't appear like it would work with a TRO conversion?

After looking at the pics in your build thread that is correct. It looks like the tie rod over conversion puts the tie rod right through our lower mounting brackets for the sway bar end links.

DINOONE

I'm in desperate need of this! Is the group. It pricing still good one this?

Dfroman

After looking at the pics in your build thread that is correct. It looks like the tie rod over conversion puts the tie rod right through our lower mounting brackets for the sway bar end links.

Can you measure the distance from your bracket to the sway bar?
in a couple of pics, it looks like it is very close and in one of the last ones, it appears that there is quite a bit of space.
thank you
David

Bknaus

Loc.
Visalia, CA
Can you measure the distance from your bracket to the sway bar?
in a couple of pics, it looks like it is very close and in one of the last ones, it appears that there is quite a bit of space.
thank you
David

Sorry, I'm confused about which dimension you're talking about. Do you mean the vertical distance from the axle plate to the sway bar end up in the fender area?

If so, on our Bronco our end links are adjusted to about 9.75" long. BUT that distance will change depending on the vehicle since the kit comes with adjustable end links. In the instructions we just say to adjust the distance so the three holes in the forged sway bar end are parallel to the ground.

Dfroman

Sorry, I'm confused about which dimension you're talking about. Do you mean the vertical distance from the axle plate to the sway bar end up in the fender area?

If so, on our Bronco our end links are adjusted to about 9.75" long. BUT that distance will change depending on the vehicle since the kit comes with adjustable end links. In the instructions we just say to adjust the distance so the three holes in the forged sway bar end are parallel to the ground.

Sorry that is confusing.
Looking for how much space between lower bracket and drag link
Referring to the post about TRO.

Dano 407

Loc.
The Orange Groves
I have a Helwig bar from a small test batch a bunch of years back. I am not going to get rid of it, it improves the streetability of the progressive coils beyond what you could imagine.

I AM going to hit Ben up for some of those more modern quick disconnects, though...

Great family, great products.

Bknaus

Loc.
Visalia, CA
Sorry that is confusing.
Looking for how much space between lower bracket and drag link
Referring to the post about TRO.

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. We're super busy and I didn't get a chance to go next door and take a good look at it until today.

On our vehicle the drag link never goes out far enough to be over either of our brackets and depending on the lift and everything that distance will be different for most vehicles. The brackets sandwich under the coil spring and go straight out from there, ending up about 5" above the stock tie rod if that gives you an idea of their location.